What does a healthy lifestyle truly look like??? HELP!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    vivmom2014 wrote: »
    I don't have much trouble meeting my protein goals without meat; I have kept seafood in my diet and the fake meats (seitan, tofu & tempeh) are great.

I don't know about healthy, though, because I also eat a ton of sugar. Which I love - and life without it, for me, would be sad.

Seafood is meat.

I also find it helpful in meeting my protein goals.

OK, OK... but I consider myself pescatarian. I eat fish - but not poultry, pork or beef.

• Heartisalonelyhunter
    Heartisalonelyhunter Posts: 786 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    For me?
    I think a typical good day has:

A workout
    Sex
    Work
    2 or 3 healthy meals
    Time with family
    At least 7.5 hours sleep

String a bunch of those together, with some variety (vacations, feasts, treats, fasts, whatever) and that is a healthy life.

As far as food, I try to avoid gluttony and to eat things made from ingredients, not much prepackaged stuff, don't limit fat but don't fry much. Not really that fussed about it, and we do homemade for cost savings and taste, not just health.

Sex every day? I'm doing something wrong (although I'm more jealous of people who get more than 5 hours sleep, because I hardly ever do!)
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    For me?
    I think a typical good day has:

A workout
    Sex
    Work
    2 or 3 healthy meals
    Time with family
    At least 7.5 hours sleep

String a bunch of those together, with some variety (vacations, feasts, treats, fasts, whatever) and that is a healthy life.

As far as food, I try to avoid gluttony and to eat things made from ingredients, not much prepackaged stuff, don't limit fat but don't fry much. Not really that fussed about it, and we do homemade for cost savings and taste, not just health.

Sex every day? I'm doing something wrong (although I'm more jealous of people who get more than 5 hours sleep, because I hardly ever do!)

Not every day is a good day, LOL.
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Plants are delicious and healthy
    Meat is delicious and healthy
    "Processed" foods are delicious and can be healthy.

Eat them all. Just don't eat more than you burn. (unless you need to gain weight)
  • Latitude11Courtney
    Latitude11Courtney Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    There are SOOOO many other factors that play into health, not just animal protein.
  • kelseymallen
    kelseymallen Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    For me, I believe that it isn't eating meat that is unhealthy; it's all the hormones, antibiotics, and what-not that are used in mass production of meat. With that being said, I buy cage-free, no hormones/antibiotics meats where I can. The same can be said for veggies; I try to buy organic, no pesticides, etc. when possible.

With that being said, the key to healthy eating is to get most of the nutrients your body needs from the foods you eat instead of taking supplements to get what you need. For me, that means eating a wide variety of plant based foods and lean animal protein.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I don't smoke or drink alcohol anymore, not to be healthy, but because I never liked it.
    Regular exercise makes me feel well.
    I try to get 8 hours of quality sleep every night.
    I work on stress management.
    Healthy eating to me is a balanced diet made up of a variety of real foods I like, eating home cooked meals, not cutting out anything I like, but watching portions and frequency, and paying attention to the effect it has on me.

Scaremongering is NOT compatible with a healthy lifestyle. I take what "health experts" say with a pinch of salt.
  • asyroyez
    asyroyez Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Eat whole foods cooked at home and move around a bit. That's it.
  • annieegirl1
    annieegirl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I really suggest reading "Eat To Live" or "The End Of Dieting" by Dr. Joel Fuhrman! They are books about a MOSTLY plant based diet and in it is the science to back it up. I gave up dairy a while ago and most meats except seafood. I still eat fish on occasion, but I honestly can't remember the last time I ate chicken, pork, or beef. I feel 10 million times better. I am currently trying to kick my sugar habit. In the book it talks about getting rid of cravings. I'm so fed up with being 30lbs overweight that I'm not surrendering and trying this out for at least 6 weeks. No counting calories thank God.. cause that is not sustainable for me. The book says by the end of the 6 weeks you will feel so great you won't want to change back to the "SAD" died (standard American Diet). I am hoping to eat this way for the rest of my life! https://www.drfuhrman.com/weightloss/about.aspx
  • annieegirl1
    annieegirl1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    He also has a book called "Disease Proof Your Child". I'm turning 29 this sunday and I have 2 children also. I'm trying to help my family eat healthier too!
  • lisalewis7588
    lisalewis7588 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Above all: moderation is key.

I aim for whole grains, a bunch of fruits & veggies, eggs, legumes, and lean cuts of meat or fish (and a few sweet treats, because let's be real, a life without chocolate is no life at all). I've cut out most processed foods because they're too high in sodium & unnecessary sugar for my tastes (why do savory foods need high fructose corn syrup as the #2 ingredient?). Anywhere from 2-5 times per week I find that I don't even eat meat on a given day because I eat a lot of legumes (my dad is a lentil & wheat farmer so I have free access to an essentially infinite amount of lentils, plus I love beans). I don't do it on purpose, it's just what happens.

One note: if you choose not to eat animal protein, make sure you're eating the right combinations of plant proteins to get all 9 essential amino acids (the ones our body cannot produce on its own). Often you have to pair a legume with a grain or a seed in order to get all 9.
  • DeannaLynnPerkins
    DeannaLynnPerkins Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback answering my question and addressing my thoughts on a health lifestyle in the eating department and the plant based diet vs a diet high in animal protein.

After more discussion with my husband and reading through your feed back we've decide to focus on:

-Continuing to utilize lean meats in our meals (we use ground turkey and chicken instead of ground beef).

-Regulate the amount of sugar we intake...buying less processed foods that contain lg amounts of sugar and not adding more sugar to certain items.

-Eating more fresh veggies with our meals and buying the majority of them at our local farmers market.

-Continuing to cook all of our meals at home and providing our kids with healthy options...i.e: scrambled eggs with turkey sausage instead of frozen waffles and syrup for breakfast.
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    THANK YOU EVERYONE!!! I really appreciate all the wonderful feedback answering my question and addressing my thoughts on a health lifestyle in the eating department and the plant based diet vs a diet high in animal protein.

After more discussion with my husband and reading through your feed back we've decide to focus on:

-Continuing to utilize lean meats in our meals (we use ground turkey and chicken instead of ground beef).

-Regulate the amount of sugar we intake...buying less processed foods that contain lg amounts of sugar and not adding more sugar to certain items.

-Eating more fresh veggies with our meals and buying the majority of them at our local farmers market.

-Continuing to cook all of our meals at home and providing our kids with healthy options...i.e: scrambled eggs with turkey sausage instead of frozen waffles and syrup for breakfast.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with waffles and syrup. Or ground beef. Occasionally.

Consider rather than focusing on one food or thinking that x is bad that your overall diet should have - a large variety, strongly based on fresh produce (say at least have your plate of vegetables and fruit) at a nutrient and calorie level which meets your activity needs.

Stay active.

Do things that invigorate your spirit.

The problem with removing foods from your diet is that it tends to make people concentrate on too little variety and that leads to dietary issues. Don't go health crazy with arbitrary rules.