16 year old and protein powder?

Options
kmtetour
kmtetour Posts: 300 Member
I'm posting this on behalf of a co-worker that asked this question on Facebook this morning. Here is her exact post:

"Who can tell me about protein powder? Is it valid and/or necessary for a 16 year old? My daughter has done a couple of training sessions at X-Sport--which I haven't liked in the past because of the company's hard-sell approach--and the trainer is pushing protein powder on her as necessary to make her workouts effective. Thoughts?"

Note that this is a non-athletic 16 year old that is just trying to be healthy, not get super muscular or become a pro athlete or anything.

Does anyone have any useful tidbits for my friend?

Replies

• soxmandan
    soxmandan Posts: 26
    Options
    you need protein (milk, meats, etc.) but she definitely doesn't NEED the protein powder. If your friends daughter just wants to be healthy, simply working out and eating right should do the trick, especially since she is still very young
  • clubfedchef
    Options
    Nothing wrong with protein, its in a lot of food we eat. If she really wants some results she should take amino acid pill with that. Good luck.
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    The 16 year old is still growing and protein powder is really just a supplement to aid people trying to build muscle to obtain higher protein amounts. I would not give it to my 16 year old.
  • cem789
    cem789 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i think not.

protein powder is full of unnatural things i believe a 16 year old doesnt need. just my opinion.

a protein shake has approx 25-30g protein.

greek yogurt = 18g protein
    cottage cheese = 14g protein
    chicken, meat, eggs... full of protein! eat it the natural way :)
  • mystiedragonfly
    mystiedragonfly Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I am not seeing an issue with her supplementing (or even adding) a meal with a protein shake. I would rather see her encouraged to drink that than to be encouraged to not eat at all like TV and Magazines like to tell teenagers.

It is when someone is encouraging a teenager to use Creatine (many coaches try to get their athletes to take it) that I believe a parent should worry.
  • ssteele09
    ssteele09 Posts: 19
    Options
    Here is a great link to send to your friend http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/teens.htm

Personally, if I had children I wouldn't let them use any type of supplement until they are 18. Even the protein I use now, says " do not use if under the age of 18." I am not sure of the reason but they wouldn't put it on the label if there wasn't any concern about it, ya know?
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I'm posting this on behalf of a co-worker that asked this question on Facebook this morning. Here is her exact post:

"Who can tell me about protein powder? Is it valid and/or necessary for a 16 year old? My daughter has done a couple of training sessions at X-Sport--which I haven't liked in the past because of the company's hard-sell approach--and the trainer is pushing protein powder on her as necessary to make her workouts effective. Thoughts?"

Note that this is a non-athletic 16 year old that is just trying to be healthy, not get super muscular or become a pro athlete or anything.

Protein is a building block for any diet, if her diet is deficient of protein then by all means intake some form of it. Secondly your friend is getting way too carried away, it's not like he told her to take steroids....geesh
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    The 16 year old is still growing and protein powder is really just a supplement to aid people trying to build muscle to obtain higher protein amounts. I would not give it to my 16 year old.

And why would you not? You never gave a reason as to why not...
  • leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options

You would feed them steak and eggs right? that is protien in the raw form. :) Its not going to hurt but IMO other supplments arent good for someone that is still growing.

We can actually use almost 86% of the protien that comes from eggs that is the highest out of anything you will eat.
  • kmtetour
    Options
    Protein is a building block for any diet, if her diet is deficient of protein then by all means intake some form of it. Secondly your friend is getting way too carried away, it's not like he told her to take steroids....geesh

I think my friend's concern is that her daughter is still growing and going through puberty and all that, and she doesn't have the knowledge to know whether this is a bad thing or an ok/good thing. I think it's good that she's concerned for her daughter's well-being. Especially since this is a trainer and not a doctor or nutritionist telling her daughter to do the protein thing.
  • kmtetour
    Options
    Thanks, everyone, for your input! I've passed on summaries of all of this information and given her some sources to look at to form her own opinion.
  • JDMPWR
    Options
    Give her this analogy. Protein to a human is like water to a growing plant. NO water, plant dont grow, no protein, child doesn't grow....
  • knittnponder
    knittnponder Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    The protein part of the supplement I wouldn't be worried about but choosing one without a lot of additives would concern me. I have a DD who has been doing P90X with me since February. When she started she was 16 and is now 17. She is working very hard, lifting weights, doing squats, pushups, pull ups, etc. and trying to build strength. She also is a somewhat picky eater and doesn't get the amount of protein she needs from food (girl won't touch an egg unless it's baked into something!) So we do allow her to use a protein powder but it's as clean as I can get it. It's a whey protein powder that is low carb and sweetened with Stevia instead of the artificial sweeteners. It also has very minimal amounts of stuff added to it.

Whether your friend's daughter uses protein powder or not I would be concerned about high pressure sales to a 16 year old. And like i said, I'd carefully check the ingredients in anything they suggested to make sure they weren't full of undesirable ingredients. Of course I'd probably be in there introducing myself to the trainer and making sure he knew I was who he had to convince if he wants my kid to take anything. :)
  • bizco
    bizco Posts: 1,949 Member
    Options
    i think not.

protein powder is full of unnatural things i believe a 16 year old doesnt need. just my opinion.

This is SO not true. Quality protein powder is just that...pure protein. Just like all other foods, vitamins and supplements, there are crappy ones and great ones.

That said, I would prefer if children got all their nutrients from quality foods.
  • Larius
    Larius Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    A whey protein shake pre and post workout should help. If you're concerned about safety, avoid any that contain supplements. To be even safer, have her drinking skim milk. Most of the reason for protein shakes is because it stores better than milk and has less carbs.

Abundant research has shown that protein nutrition timed to coincide with exercise, increases fitness gains all around. She's also extremely unlikely to get East German powerlifter huge, even with years of heavy weights.
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, TEACH a 16 year old how to eat right NOW and she will be able to do it on her own when she needs to, not rely on supplements because they might be easier than properly portioning meats, eggs and nuts.

Why is it necessary to rely on protein powders, and shakes, when we can go to the grocery store and get everything we need from lean meats, raw proteins, dairy, calcium and vegetables?

TEACH her how to eat properly before you teach her to take shortcuts.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options

Who's her trainer at X-Sport and which location does she go to?

I train at X-Sport and never once has my trainer tried to sell me supplements or push protein powder on me. Mainly because he knows thats goals don't need any type of crazy supplement. Did your friends daughter say something during the consolation that would make them think that she needed that?

I'd tell your friend to get her daughter a different trainer and if you want the name of two good trainers at X-Sport please message me.
  • JAAD
    JAAD Posts: 21
    Options
    My 16 year old daughter uses it but she is doing pt with enlisted Marines. She is using it to get her weight up as she tends to be under weight. She is enlisting next year.
  • georgiag111
    georgiag111 Posts: 424
    Options
    personally all kids are different and I would not do it unless her doctor approved it ( that is just me though) any type of supplements has effects pros and cons and wouldnt without a dr saying ok at that age
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options
    It depends on her current diet.