Lower back pain

Options
xxfontainexx1996
xxfontainexx1996 Posts: 8 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
Ever since I started going to the gym and got to the point of lifting heavy mostly from squatting I think, my lower back is always really tight and stretching my back and hamstrings doesn't seem to help the pain for more than a minute. Any ideas on what's causing this or anyways to relieve it?

Replies

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    Bad form? Too much weight? Tight hamstrings? Inadequate muscle conditioning? Hard to say unless we see you squat.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    What Niner said
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    What kind of back stretching are you doing ?
  • Rick_Nelson81
    Rick_Nelson81 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Ya, and is someone spotting you making sure you don't lose form under heavier load? Are you stretching before lifting, after or both?
  • xxfontainexx1996
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I spend about 10 minutes stretching all the muscles I'll be working out before I start lifting and I always do 1 or 2 warmup sets before getting heavier. I've only maxed out at 230 on squat and I have a spot for every exercise. I'm constantly stretching my hamstrings, hip flexor a and back and it never seems to help. The only time that I don't feel pain is when I'm hanging from the pull up bar or walking. It hurts the most when I'm sitting down for periods at a time or sleeping.
  • lezerlies
    lezerlies Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You might want to get checked out for a disc issue. I have three herniated discs and what you're describing sounds exactly like how I feel when they're acting up. Walking is okay, but sitting and sleeping becomes painful. It's worth getting checked out (I'd do it before lifting again) because you do NOT want to make it worse.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    See a physiotherapist, but it would be worth while rolling out your glutes imo. No pain while you deadlift?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Do you have a significant but wink or a large pelvic tilt? I get a tight back if I don't foam roll and stretch my hamstrings out first. Look up Jeff cavalier on YouTube. He has a good hamstring stretch that seems to help quite a bit. Or your lower back just my not have the strength required for the weight, have you tried a lifting belt at all?
  • nicolemarie999
    nicolemarie999 Posts: 91 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I agree, it sounds like a disc issue. It's best to see a Physio ASAP. In the meantime, this stretch may help you quite a bit. https://youtu.be/K2VQD7Jex0c

Do 10-15 'sloppy push-ups' during your warm- up and pre and post squat. Have someone watch your squat for form to ensure you're not rounding your low back. Stop any stretching that flexes ( rounds ) your back ( such as touching your toes) and try to avoid prolonged sitting whenever possible or only sit in hard backed chairs with lumbar support or lie down when watching TV or whatever.
  • xxfontainexx1996
    Options
    Erik8484 wrote: »
    See a physiotherapist, but it would be worth while rolling out your glutes imo. No pain while you deadlift?

I go to planet fitness so I try not to deadlift in the smith machines. But there's a machine that isolates your lower back as you push back and it doesn't cause pain.
  • xxfontainexx1996
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Do you have a significant but wink or a large pelvic tilt? I get a tight back if I don't foam roll and stretch my hamstrings out first. Look up Jeff cavalier on YouTube. He has a good hamstring stretch that seems to help quite a bit. Or your lower back just my not have the strength required for the weight, have you tried a lifting belt at all?

I have not used a belt when squatting but the heaviest I've lifted is 200 6 times and max of 230. Should I be using a belt when I get that high?
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Were you rolding over quite a bit when lifting the 200? A lot of people think they're lifting properly but in all reality you can't tell if they're squatting or doing good mornings. I use a belt when I start doing 225 only because I like the added stability. That could be part of your back pain. The best thing you could do is post a video with a side angle of you squatting various weights so that people can get a better idea.
  • xxfontainexx1996
    Options
    jessef593 wrote: »
    Were you rolding over quite a bit when lifting the 200? A lot of people think they're lifting properly but in all reality you can't tell if they're squatting or doing good mornings. I use a belt when I start doing 225 only because I like the added stability. That could be part of your back pain. The best thing you could do is post a video with a side angle of you squatting various weights so that people can get a better idea.

I always concentrate on keeping my core tight and not rounding my lower back. Next time I squat I will have my friend record then post videos for you all to see. Earlier I did some hip abductor machines and stretched my upper hamstrings and my back felt better.