Syncing with my fitbit

Options
I just got the new Fitbit blaze and synced it with My Fitness Pal. After less than only 4000 steps so far today, it's giving me 900 extra calories! That can't be right. Suggestions?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Your first day is often off -- it's still getting "used" to you.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    What do you have MFP activity level set to and how early in the day is it? Also have you checked to make sure you don't have multiple adjustments in your exercise diary?
  • Linziyo
    Linziyo Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I tend not to trust it.
    I advise putting it on your nondominant hand BUT putting your settings to dominant (to achieve the least sensitivity).
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    That's a lot. Maybe give it a few days to adjust? For me, I have it set to sedentary, and on a day where I both walk (getting 12k-15k steps over the day) and a 400 calorie workout, I get an extra 1000 or so at the most. Usually closer to 700. So, I've found mine to be pretty accurate, but the count you've given seems really high.
  • Anabbee
    Anabbee Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I remember my first couple of days when I changed to a charge hr I had very high cals to eat. It settled down pretty quickly.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have a Fitbit Charge HR and just checked it. It is within 50 steps of what SHealth shows my step count on my Samsung Galaxy S7. I am wearing it on my dominate hand and set it to dominant in the Fitbit app settings menu. One thing to keep in mind for the calorie adjustment in MFP is that it is a projection for the whole day based on your current activity. If you walked very little for the rest of the day you will see the calorie adjustment drop.
  • nadel2016
    nadel2016 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I also have a blaze,
    got 1350 cal today for 20 000 steps. Went 2x for 1 hour on the treadmill. It depends on your heart rate to I guess how much it calculate .
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been a Charge HR user since July. It brought me from 139 pounds to 109 pounds. Here are a few things I've noticed by using it/reading feedback from others:
    • Apparently the more overweight you are the more the calories earned tend to be inflated. Several overweight/obese users have said they gained weight by eating what Fitbit stated while users who are more fit have claimed Fitbit underestimated the calories they can eat. Then again, I wonder how much of this boils down to accurate logging and using a food scale. I take this information with a grain of salt. Observing your own data and making adjustments is the best resource.
    • I'm 5'3" and 114 pounds now as I'm currently bulking. Personally I'm gaining weight at a slower rate than I should be using Fitbit as a baseline. However, I use the "dominant" setting on my non-dominant hand as @lindsaywaldorf has mentioned and I tend to overestimate calories if I don't have the nutritional facts for something. When I workout and walk 18K+ steps, I get 900+ calories more to eat and it hasn't been a detriment to my weight loss or weight gain at all.
    • Setting your food plan to sedentary instead of personalized on Fitbit will stop the calorie adjustment from changing so much on MFP. When it's personalized, Fitbit projects your extra calories based on how active it expects you to be for the day. You may see you have 600 extra calories for the day, but if you sit for the rest of the day it can shoot down to 400. With the sedentary setting, you start with a lower amount of calories and earn calories throughout the day. I've found that much easier to deal with and there are no surprises.
    • The first couple of days can be off, as others have stated. It will "learn" you as you keep using it.