Girls Only Please!

Options
I have a time of the month question for all of you ladies... Does it normally spike up your weight?

Yesterday was the first day of my period and my weight went up 3lbs and today it's down 1lb from yesterday but that's still up 2lbs! What the hell! Granted last night I pigged out on some brownies so I didn't expect a loss, but being where I weighed in the other day would be nice!

Does anyone else have this problem?

Replies

• GreatSetOfBrains
    GreatSetOfBrains Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about it. I would weigh in a week. Water weight is extremely possible and a down for us. . . Keep your chin up lady.
  • Aviendha_RJ
    Aviendha_RJ Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    You kind of retain water about then. It happens... no one likes it, but it does. :devil: I'm a fan of avoiding the scale that week because it throws things off.

Step on the scale the day you finish... it's much more fun! :tongue:
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    It's all water weight. On our periods, we can "gain" as much as 5 lbs with water weight. Weight again in a week, and you'll be fine :) Just remember to drink lots and lots of water.
  • CristineD
    CristineD Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I gained five pounds with my last TOM!!! I was horrified so I completely skipped that week's weigh-in and at the next I'd still had a loss. Think it is largely water retension and let's face it we do tend to eat the things that we normally are able to resist.
  • morganhccstudent724
    morganhccstudent724 Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    I can retain like 8 pounds water weight. I love to see Aunt Flow but I'm just as happy to see her go...
  • FionaK1990
    Options
    I always bloat without fail each month. It's not just you, I retain loads of water
  • le6676
    le6676 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    yeah don't worry i always put on a few more pounds according to the scales but it just goes after my week of mother nature is over x
  • sschiano
    sschiano Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    i spiked up about 4 lbs a few days before i started my period then about 2 days in it all disapeared, still on my period and i havent lost anymore in a week but hopefully 1 lb will come off once im done
  • trinityj1
    trinityj1 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't worry about it, it's just water weight. It'll go away after your period.
  • mommyoftwins05
    mommyoftwins05 Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    I had my first period since I started trying to lose the weight... the week before I lost 0.7lbs.. then I weighed in on my 3rd day of my period my weight was the same...and then I just got done with it..and I weighed today and I was down 2lbs.. so it didn't really effect me that bad.. Just hope its like that each time

you will probably see a great loss when your done
  • hoosiermama_78
    Options
    Well I think it's safe to say we all eat a little extra before that time. But it is most likely water retention. Also make sure you weigh yourself at the same time everyday because your weight can fluctuate during the day. At least you are aware of the gain and just keep an eye on it.
  • dsak
    dsak Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    I typically gain slightly (maybe a pound) a week before, and I have to have strong will power not to give in to all my cravings that week too. However, usually after I get my period, I lose weight. I also try not to weigh myself daily that week before because I know my weight fluctuates slightly.

I try to ensure I drink all of my water as well to keep hydrated and avoid feeling bloaty. And... if I feel like I'm retaining water, I drink a cup of green tea in the AM.
  • kieva626
    kieva626 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    i always gain about 3-4 lbs during my TOM. don't worry about it, it'll fall right off when its over. i just stay away from the scale so i wont stress myself out
  • HolleeERL
    HolleeERL Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I used to chart my weight loss and every single month without fail there was a short period of weight gain at the time of my period. Just have to accept it for a few days and it'll pass. :o)
  • deedee3732
    deedee3732 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I have extreme bloating and gain before and during TOM. Thankfully, it will go away. Hang in there. Chocolate is my downfall during this time, I could snarf down 2 king size snickers and not even think about it. ugh.
  • alimarieban
    alimarieban Posts: 141
    Options
    I get the same thing. Fluctuation of up to 5 pounds during my period. Don't sweat it! Drink lots of water and as someone else mentioned, postpone your weigh in until after your cycle. :-)
  • Holly_Traveling_West
    Options
    My weight can fluctuate anywhere between 2-5lbs that week. Usually if I make sure I'm drinking my water everyday (and watch out for the crazy cravings) it drops right back off one or two days after.
  • JoBFit
    JoBFit Posts: 81
    Options
    Try not to weigh yourself every day. I used to do it and it used to drive me mad with all the fluctuations!
    Try to stick to once a week and it will all even out.
  • Hermia76
    Hermia76 Posts: 34
    Options
    O certainly!

It's probably just water retention. Be kind to yourself. Drink plenty of water. Try to avoid salty foods (if you're not already doing so) and if you need a bit of chocolate, have it (just not the whole bar!!). Bananas also work well for sweet cravings. Do some gentle exercise like stretching if you can't face a full workout.

If the scales upset you, skip them for that week but if not, just remember it's totm week and the number is probably wrong (unless you are being naughty and in denial of course...but I'm sure you aren't).

H. x
  • maemiller
    maemiller Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    oh yah, the evil water weight retention. i try not to weigh myself until after it goes away