Low calorie, filling foods?

Options
Hey everybody,

Because of my current lifestyle I don't have much opportunity to workout. So anyone have suggestions on some low calorie, filling meals/snacks so I'm not snacking as much in between meals?

Replies

• blancoms
    blancoms Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I stock up on the green giant veggie steamers. That's almost the only way ill get in vegetables daily. I'll sit down with a whole bag and depending on which type it may be 90-200 calories for lots of veggie volume.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Broccoli
  • kalm3
    kalm3 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound exciting but green veggies will keep you full for hours. I been making egg whites with asparagus (I was shocked at this combo but it works) for breakfast and it keeps me full for hours. As opposed to oatmeal, where by 10 am I'm ready for breakfast #2. Also for lunch I've been packing spinach and baby kale into my sandwiches and it really does sustain me. Try adding veggies and see how it goes. Good luck!
  • caurinus
    caurinus Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Fage 0% fat Greek yogurt, with blueberries, raspberries, or strawberries.

Chicken breast, seasoned with salt, pepper, parsley, sage, rosemary, and thyme, baked at 400 degrees F until internal temperature reaches 165F. Optionally, bake on a bed of carrots and onions and serve with them.

Poached salmon or other fish, seasoned with lemon pepper. Serve with steamed asparagus or broccoli

Raw carrots and celery
    Bananas
    Apples

Stir fry. Onions, bok choy, carrots, fresh ginger, kale, mushrooms, chicken breast. Put 1 tbsp olive oil in a big saucepan and chop everything up and throw it in there. The ginger should be grated or chopped very fine. I usually have leftover cooked chicken breast when I make this so I just slice it up and throw it in toward the end. Season with a little pepper, soy sauce and fish sauce, maybe a half tsp sesame oil. Or just buy a bottle of "stir fry sauce" but those are hit and miss.
  • caurinus
    Options
    Salad is good too, but you have to really watch the calories in the dressing. Sometimes I'll just use rice vinegar for dressing. Basically, for low calorie filling stuff, your best friends are lean proteins, and huge piles of green vegetables. Like, eat it out of a big mixing bowl quantities because it won't fit on a plate.
  • DanSTL82
    DanSTL82 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Anything but carb-y foods. Things high in protein and high in fat. Carbs = sugar = hunger sooner.

And don't keep snacks in the house, then you won't be tempted to eat them.
  • bluefrog1313
    bluefrog1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Quick thanks to you all. We've been doing salads at lunch, and have some for dinner but I'll have to do more veggies.
  • bluefrog1313
    bluefrog1313 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    DanSTL82 wrote: »
    Anything but carb-y foods. Things high in protein and high in fat. Carbs = sugar = hunger sooner.

I have a little one in the house so most the snacks are for her. Any high protein snack suggestions?
  • caurinus
    Options

I have a little one in the house so most the snacks are for her. Any high protein snack suggestions?

Fat free Greek yogurt and berries is a good one. I'll also cook up a huge batch of chicken breast meat about twice a week and will snack on it from the fridge occasionally, and use it for meals too. Beef jerky is usually made from pretty lean cuts, but will bloat you a little from the huge salt dose. Not a big deal really, unless you have salt sensitive blood pressure. Low fat string cheese is somewhere around 50% protein and 50% fat by calories I think.
  • caurinus
    Options

I would agree that higher glycemic index carbs like baked potatoes, white rice, and even fruit juice aren't really filling at all, and will spike insulin causing appetite swings. But high fiber carbs like whole fruits, brown rice, and legumes digest much more slowly, fill the stomach better, and prevent sharp insulin spikes. Personally, I think protein is much more filling than fat, calorie for calorie. I can put away 1000 calories of nuts without even thinking about it if I'm not careful (one small container of Blue Diamond smokehouse almonds is 1030 cals or so), so I focus on protein and fiber.
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Veggies!!! Also Shiratake Noodles! I get the Nasoya Pasta zero brand, its at Walmart, raleys etc by the tofu. Some people hate them, some love them. I've heard alot of issues with people thinking they stink etc, I've never had that problem and I just give them a quick soak and rinse. They are almost identical to ramen noodles to me. And for a huge portion(the whole bag) its only 30 cals! I usually only eat 1/2 bag cause they're so filling. They're made almost completely of konjac flour which is pretty much pure fiber. Worth a try for sure for how much you can eat for such tiny cals. These have saved me maaaany times when I wanted to eat tons and/or had used most of my cals by dinner. So good made with broth and some chicken or shrimp. I used to love cup o noodles so these reeeeeally hit the spot!!
  • that_fat_guy_5
    that_fat_guy_5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I would strongly recomend finding a Weight Watchers store in your area. They have low fat, carb and sugar snacks, such as chips, pretzels and chocolate bars. They taste really good, and are cery similar to the real thing. They make a great low calorie snack, but they are a bit expensive.
  • patesq
    patesq Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    My husband makes a chicken parm type meal with spaghetti squash instead of the pasta. He's the cook in the family but basically he cooks the squash in the microwave, scrapes it into a casserole dish, spreads canned tomatoes, a little tomato paste and some spices over the squash. Then he puts grilled chicken on top and sprinkles a little parmesan on top and the whole thing goes in the oven until hot. Very lo cal - 200-250 calories for a filling portion.
  • avj_78
    avj_78 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Easy grab n' go, filling snacks from Costco: Turkey pepperoni (2 for100 cal), GoodFood Chicken salad (individual cups, 140 cal), pea snap crisps (100 cal/bag).