Tips for getting more calories in?

Options
BushDid7Eleven
BushDid7Eleven Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2016 in Food and Nutrition
I have a goal of 2300 calories per day + whatever I exercise off, but I always tend to eat less than I should. I eat veggies, friits, nuts/seeds, lean protein, dairy, and grains. I still have this issue though, and sometimes that's all I feel I can eat. But in order to only lose fat, I have to eat more. I mix a couple eggs with my eggs whites (better for protein) to try to increase calories but I don't know what else to do. I lost 6 pounds last week and 3 pounds already halfway through this one. I'd like some advise so I can lose specifically fat so I'll be more conditioned for my future ambitions.

Replies

• harrybananas
    harrybananas Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    What is your goal? Gain weight or lose weight?

Eat less calories to lose weight. Eat more calories to gain weight.
  • BushDid7Eleven
    edited March 2016
    Options
    To lose fat, I want to not drop in weight so rapidly. I just wanted advice to what else I should eat to make weight loss more steady. I feel full as it is with whag I typically eat (1800 cals)
  • cajuntank
    cajuntank Posts: 924 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Fats. Example, 1 Tbs of peanut butter has around 180-190 calories.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    I have a goal of 2300 calories per day + whatever I exercise off, but I always tend to eat less than I should. I eat veggies, friits, nuts/seeds, lean protein, dairy, and grains. I still have this issue though, and sometimes that's all I feel I can eat. But in order to only lose fat, I have to eat more. I mix a couple eggs with my eggs whites (better for protein) to try to increase calories but I don't know what else to do. I lost 6 pounds last week and 3 pounds already halfway through this one. I'd like some advise so I can lose specifically fat so I'll be more conditioned for my future ambitions.

Why can't you eat the foods you did previously?

You can still eat your favorite foods in moderation or make tweaks to your favorite recipes to make it a bit healthier.

How much do you weigh?

Losing nine pounds in two weeks seems a bit unhealthy. How much are you eating?
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    Incorporate more healthy fats like avocado, olive oil, coconut oil
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    cajuntank wrote: »
    Fats. Example, 1 Tbs of peanut butter has around 180-190 calories.
    That's generally for 2 table spoons. Id be 5 pounds heavier if that was per TBSP. But yeah, eat more fats, less lean meats, more carbs, and avocados. Also try drinking whole fat milk

• sarahkanzalone
    sarahkanzalone Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    I have found smoothies a good way to get in Cals if I'm low for the day peanut butter is a good calorie add in because higher Cals for lower volume of food also avacado and yogurts can be good to add ins as well
  • Tricia7188
    Tricia7188 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    If you just started your weiweightgt loss journey and/or have a significant amount to lose, then the first few weeks you may lose very quickly with most of that beig water weight. It will even out with time.
    Oooor if you aren't being super accurate logging, you may be overestimating your servings and therefore you're having it look like you're consuming alot of cals and you aren't. Using a food scale helps tons with this. Although it's not really likely since 99% of people tend to underestimate servings size/amounts.
  • BushDid7Eleven
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I lost another .6 lbs to end the week so it's all good. Hopefully I lost more fat than that and have put on a pound or so of muscle.

In general, I pretty much guess the serving sizes, I keep about a 600 cal deficit including exercise to make some space incase I underestimate. I am currently 276.6lbs. I want to get to 170-180 lbs.

Thanks for all the help!
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,068 Member
    Options
    I don't think you have put on a pound or so of muscle - how would you have done that?

Also I think you should invest in a food scale rather than guessing - otherwise you really don't know how many calories you are consuming.
  • MissSusieQ
    MissSusieQ Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    'How can i eat more?' is not a question I've ever needed to ask myself, but I imagine if I were in your shoes, and I was happy with what I was eating, I'd just make the serves a little bigger.
    2 weetbix for breakfast becomes 2 1/2, skin milk becomes full fat, serves of meat become a little bigger, handfuls of bits become more generous..
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options
    Anything you like.

If you are already eating well, have nutritional variety, and need to add calories you can eat absolutely whatever you desire.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Do people seriously need other people to tell them how to eat a bit more? You already know the sort of food that you like and which you feel benefits your diet, so just eat more of that if you feel you need to.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Why do you think you are restricted to a certain selection of foods?
    You have a long way to go - don't make it harder than it has to be.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, full fat dairy.

Swap chicken and Turkey for lamb, beef or pork.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,390 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have trouble stuffing enough food down because I tend to eat later in the day. The only thing you can do is find calorie dense foods that still don't screw up your macros too much, and adjust when or how often you eat.

If the concern is losing more fat and retaining muscle, spend more focus on strength training adequate to retain the muscle. Don't restrict things too much, or you make loss harder than it needs to be.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter
    Nuts
    Cheese
    Butter
    Yum.