I need to lose 65 lbs!

Options
Hi everyone! I'm Brittany, and I'm currently trying to shed about 65 pounds. I'm also a recovering alcoholic. I was at 120 pounds in 2012, but have since ballooned due to drinking and eating everything wrong for my body. I suffer from pcos (poly cystic ovarian syndrome) which can cause weight gain. I went from a size 4 to a size 18/20 in 4 years. Im sick and tired of being unhealthy. I know I will need to work twice as hard as a normal person to get the weight off ( because of the pcos ) but am soooooo willing! I have been eating a low carb/low sugar diet and have lost about 10 pounds since February 14th. If anyone has any tips or tricks, ideas or helpful hints, please message me or add me as a friend. I need as many buds as possible! Nashville TN area.

Replies

• OrlandoJohn
    OrlandoJohn Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm new to site and need to lose 68 pounds. I'm willing to help.
  • Brittanyeatsrocks1985
    Options
    Any advice you have?
  • blkbassenator
    blkbassenator Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of losing 63 pounds so I can have a knee replacement operation...17 pounds gone so far in the past month. From my experience, use this fitness pal app to record your food intakes and with regualr exercise you can develop a plan to lose your weight and to have the record to push you on. I can expand on what I have done if you like. Hope this helps.
  • EddieP50
    EddieP50 Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Here is what I have been doing. You have to be very strict in logging everything. Even if it is just a tablespoon of mayonnaise on a sandwich, log it. I'm on no special diet. I eat pretty much anything I want with a few exceptions. My doctor recommended I limit fried foods because my cholesterol was borderline. I was getting fried chicken every week from the local supermarket deli. I have had it now maybe 4 times in the past 5 months. Other than that I get baked or rotisserie chicken from the deli. I have started cooking again also. From the fresh meat section I get lean pork chops or pork loin and from the frozen section, un-breaded fish fillets. Also canned vegetables and canned fruit. I look at the nutrition label on everything I buy, looking for low calorie, low fat and comparing brands. Fat calories should be 30% or lower of the total calories. I have also replaced pastries and snack cakes with fresh fruit.

And one of the main points is make sure you stay under or right at your daily calorie intake goal. If I get hungry between dinner and bedtime I will look at the app and see how many calories I have left for the day to decide what to eat. I started my diet again in Nov of 2015. At that time after my last doctor visit I weighed 252 pounds. I weighed in this Monday at 211.8 for 40 pounds lost so far. An average of around 2 pounds per week. I have an office job and this is with no exercise also, other that about 2500 steps per day that my smartphone pedometer logs.
  • fboosman
    fboosman Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Brittany, if it works for you, keep doing it. If you've lost 10 pounds in 5 weeks, you're off to a good start. I eat an LCHF (low carbohydrate, high fat) diet so I think I understand what your eating habits must be like. In terms of advice:
    • Beware of carb creep. When I tried this before, and was trying to keep myself to 60-80 net carbs/day, I found the carbs slowly creeping up. Now that I try to keep myself to 30 net carbs/day, I don't have that problem. At 60, or 80, you can justify a significant sweet treat. At 30, you can't. Whatever you set your desired net carb level to, just watch your intake over time. If you find yourself creeping up, deal with it, and decisively.
    • Don't do the fake desserts. You'll see lots of recipes on the web for keto cookies, keto fudge, all that kind of stuff. First, generally speaking, it tastes like crap. Second, it relies on tons of sweeteners, and those aren't good for you. (Holy hell, rats will choose saccharin over intravenous cocaine. Think about that for a moment.) Just give them up.
    • If you go very low carb, be prepared for the keto flu, and how to deal with it. You can Google that phrase, but the tl;dr is that it sucks, it passes quickly, and you can get through it with good bouillon.
    • Use the r/keto group. Honestly, as much as I like MFP, the advice here can be pretty awful at times. On reddit, the r/keto group (I'm assuming you're going very low carb like me) has much better information.

Good luck!
  • MeganSchuyler16
    MeganSchuyler16 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me! That goes for anyone! I am looking to hopefully lose about 65lbs. My current weight is 215.7lbs... I am 5'6" and looking to get back to 150lbs.