Help Please- Need to burn fat quickly

Options
that_fat_guy_5
that_fat_guy_5 Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2016 in Health and Weight Loss
I recently joined a soccer club, but I am not being played until i am fit. I am overweight. I have to be match fit by April 30, 2016, and it is currently March 23. I still need to lose about 10 pounds. Can anyone give me some very healthy foods, and what exercises I should be doing to burn fat quickly? Thanks

Replies

• brrrycicle
    brrrycicle Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Sadly, there is no fast, shortcut way to lose weight and fat. What you can do is plug your stats into this site and eat the calories alotted to you based on your weight loss goal.

If you have a good amount of weight to lose, you can select the 2lbs a week goal and eat accordingly. Unfortunately 1 month doesn't give you much time to lose 10 lbs, but all you can do is try your best, but please don't be too aggressive and try to lose the weight too fast. It can burn you out and hurt your body. My suggestion to you is to eat all your alotted calories because it's important to fuel your body as you exercise.

Good luck on your weight loss/health journey!
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    brrrycicle wrote: »
    Sadly, there is no fast, shortcut way to lose weight and fat. What you can do is plug your stats into this site and eat the calories alotted to you based on your weight loss goal.

If you have a good amount of weight to lose, you can select the 2lbs a week goal and eat accordingly. Unfortunately 1 month doesn't give you much time to lose 10 lbs, but all you can do is try your best, but please don't be too aggressive and try to lose the weight too fast. It can burn you out and hurt your body. My suggestion to you is to eat all your alotted calories because it's important to fuel your body as you exercise.

Good luck on your weight loss/health journey!
    All of this!!!
  • momo_t90
    momo_t90 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    ^^^This! I agree with Snipsa!
  • paigeharman66
    paigeharman66 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I actually play soccer in college and overweight doesn't hurt you as a player exactly. It is always to have size in a contact sport, especially if you are trying to shield the ball from other players or to stand your ground when opponents try to knock you off the ball. The best advice I would give is to switch it to 2 pounds a week and do workouts that deal with speed. I think your coach wants you to loose weight because they believe it will make you faster and this could be very true. Try to eat more protein packed meals because it will keep you full longer and do more crossfit/cone drills to help with the speed. Best of luck to you on your weight loss goals and in soccer!
  • Snipsa
    Snipsa Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    I actually play soccer in college and overweight doesn't hurt you as a player exactly. It is always to have size in a contact sport, especially if you are trying to shield the ball from other players or to stand your ground when opponents try to knock you off the ball. The best advice I would give is to switch it to 2 pounds a week and do workouts that deal with speed. I think your coach wants you to loose weight because they believe it will make you faster and this could be very true. Try to eat more protein packed meals because it will keep you full longer and do more crossfit/cone drills to help with the speed. Best of luck to you on your weight loss goals and in soccer!

Agreed with this. My feeling is if you focus more on fitness goals than weightloss goals (whilst still maintaining a manageable deficit) you will be able to impress your coach by the end of April much more than a loss of 15 pounds (with a very likely loss of lean muscle and energy levels) would do...
  • paigeharman66
    edited March 2016
    Options
    If I may add this fall I did drop my calorie intake to about 200 calories for 4 meals and lost about 25 pounds in the course of 2 months. I was very weak and had zero energy to even make it through a whole day, not just that but i have gained it all back and even more. I wouldn't condemn doing what they suggested because it destroys your body. I am now struggling with body issues and have a terrible metabolism.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I agree that eating at a huge caloric deficit for a month might not help you to play soccer.

Ultimately you'll do what you want, but since your goal is to play soccer, make sure you keep up the training during your diet period. If you notice your performance (speed, endurance) deteriorating over time, you need to up the calories. Losing the 10lbs is supposed to improve your performance after all.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I recently joined a soccer club, but I am not being played until i am fit. I am overweight. I have to be match fit by April 30, 2016, and it is currently March 23. I still need to lose about 10 pounds. Can anyone give me some very healthy foods, and what exercises I should be doing to burn fat quickly? Thanks

You need to work on your fitness, weight loss should be a by product of this.

Small deficit, lots of running, HIIT, hills etc. Listen to your body
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    Options
    Does anyone not find it odd that only 10 pounds is at stake here? 10 pounds is going to make the difference between you now and being "match fit"? I would think endurance would be a more important factor.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I think 10 lbs is a lot to expect to lose in one month safely and sustainably... 2- 5 lbs in that time period is more attainable.
    Will losing 10 lbs at an unhealthy fast rate make you more fit than losing 5 lbs but getting a good amount of physical training? I think fitness is different than a number on a scale. If you take a couple of months to lose 10 lbs does it mean you will not ever play soccer? Maybe you will be a better player for showing patience and dedication to doing something right instead of wanting a quick pay off.

Losing weight comes down to math. Eat fewer calories than you burn. No special food. No special exercise. The minimum reccomended calorie goal for men in 1500 and the minimum for women is 1200. I wouldn't go below those amounts unless you are on a medically supervised diet.
    Give MFP your height, weight, activity level and set the weight loss goal for 1 lb or less per week. Stick to the calorie goal you are given. Log as accurately as you can everything you consume.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,765 Member
    Options
    MommyL2015 wrote: »
    Does anyone not find it odd that only 10 pounds is at stake here? 10 pounds is going to make the difference between you now and being "match fit"? I would think endurance would be a more important factor.

I find it weird. Also, I've never joined a sport where they demanded "match fitness" before I could play, after I gave them my hard-earned cash - and I was a lot more than 10lbs overweight when I was playing cricket.

OP, do you REALLY want to play at a club where they are not going to let you play because you're 10lbs overweight? Or is the problem simply that you don't have stamina?

As for the "spec ops guy" - he must know by now that we know he's lying. Spec ops soldiers are smart. They kind of need to be. Although perhaps I'm judging by Australian SAS, all of whom would laugh in your face if you suggested eating 900 calories...
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Can we assume from the OP's post that he is only 10 pounds overweight? Just saying...no starting weight/height info.
    Can anyone give me some very healthy foods, and what exercises I should be doing to burn fat quickly? Thanks

Focus on lean meats, fibrous vegetables, lower sugar fruits, and some quality fat for satiety. As far as how much of what, prioritize protein. You can eat a lot of chicken breast and broccoli for not a lot of calories.

As far as exercise any increase in activity equals increased calories out. So do what you like. Adding in a couple of long (or short) walks a day can be good...doesn't tend to ramp up appetite.
  • usmcmp
    usmcmp Posts: 21,220 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

I cleaned this thread and wanted to remind everyone of the community guidelines.

The forum guidelines include this item:

3. No Promotion of Unsafe Weight-Loss Techniques or Eating Disorders

a) Posts intended to promote potentially unsafe or controversial weight loss products or procedures, including non-medically prescribed supplements or MLM products will be removed without warning.
    b) Profiles, groups, messages, posts, or wall comments that encourage anorexia, bulimia, or very low calorie diets of any kind will be removed, and may be grounds for account deletion. This includes positive references to ana/mia, purging, or self-starving. Our goal is to provide users with the tools to achieve their weight management goals at a steady, sustainable rate. Use of the site to promote, glamorize, or achieve dangerously low levels of eating is not permitted.
    c) Photos intended to glamorize extreme thinness will be deleted.
    d) Those seeking support in their recovery from eating disorders are welcome at MyFitnessPal.

If you would like to review the forum guidelines, please visit the following link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thanks for your understanding,
    USMCMP
    MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • that_fat_guy_5
    that_fat_guy_5 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    MommyL2015 wrote: »

I find it weird. Also, I've never joined a sport where they demanded "match fitness" before I could play, after I gave them my hard-earned cash - and I was a lot more than 10lbs overweight when I was playing cricket.

OP, do you REALLY want to play at a club where they are not going to let you play because you're 10lbs overweight? Or is the problem simply that you don't have stamina?

My coach is a firm believer that fitness wins games, not skills, and unfortunately he has been proven correct this season. My main issue is endurance, as i am more than 10 seconds behind the rest of the team in wind sprints. I was told that the best way to improve endurance is to lose weight, which is why I have set my goals at losing 10 pounds.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options
    My coach is a firm believer that fitness wins games, not skills, and unfortunately he has been proven correct this season. My main issue is endurance, as i am more than 10 seconds behind the rest of the team in wind sprints. I was told that the best way to improve endurance is to lose weight, which is why I have set my goals at losing 10 pounds.
    I disagree....
    I had great endurance at 200lbs before I got ill. After a looooong break, and more than 20lbs lighter, I don't have that same endurance. It's more about increasing your activity in general, not the weight itself.

• Yi5hedr3
    Yi5hedr3 Posts: 2,696 Member
    Options
    Keto for you. :)
  • paigeharman66
    Options
    Endurance is not amount of losing weight, that just makes it easy on your body to do physical activity. Endurance is a mental concept... you can do anything you put your mind to if you believe you can and have a positive attitude. I was told I wouldn't run 3 miles in less than 25 minutes because I wasn't fit enough and also hadn't been training for it. That day I ran 3 miles in 22 minutes because I wanted to prove myself... did everything hurt yes. I wanted to give up after a mile in, but I had the endurance to push past the thoughts. I think you need to train your mind on that you are in shape, but need to push yourself harder in the workouts.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    Options
    OP, you need a lifestyle change. Shoot for playing next year.