Two scales- diff readings.

Options
I have a regular weight watchers digital scale that Ive been using to weigh myself for about 6 months now. Yesterday I bought a new scale because I wanted one that would tell me body fat. The new scale is weight watchers brand as well.

So when I got home and got on my new scale, I was very sad to see that it was consistently weighing me in 1-1.8lbs heavier than my old scale.

I got on and off both of them about 100x and every time, the new scale was heavier by at least 1lb.

The only thing I own that I know the factual weight of is 2 3lb weights. I tried weighing those, but the scale doesn't register 6lbs because it's too low.

I tried standing on it with the 6lbs of weights and both scales registered the 6lbs accurately as 6lbs!! *facepalm*

Can someone please help me figure out which scale is right? Of course I'm hoping its my old scale because its a lower weight every time lol but I obviously need to know for sure so that I can accurately track my progress.

Replies

• MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    Options
    Are you using it on a tile floor or carpet by any chance?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    I would just pick one and stick with it. A 1-1.8 lb difference is minor. The bf% feature won't be accurate anyway so I'd return the new one.
  • Jillianx115x
    Jillianx115x Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Are you using it on a tile floor or carpet by any chance?

Tile floor with large tiles.
  • Jillianx115x
    Options
    It's a large difference to me because I only have 6-10lbs to lose. Why won't the BF calculator be right?
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    It's a large difference to me because I only have 6-10lbs to lose. Why won't the BF calculator be right?

There is a margin of error for ever type of BF measurement. Scales and calipers have the highest margin of error.
    But, if you consistently use that scale you should be able to see a downward trend in BF%. Just keep in mind that the actual value may be off. I have a scale and it was only 1% off what my DEXA showed. DEXA is the gold standard of BF measurement.

As to which scale is correct there is no way to tell. You could weigh on a 3rd (or 4th) scale and go with whichever is closest. But weight is so variable fretting over 1 - 1.5 lbs seems obsessive. Just lose until you are happy with your weight and then work to maintain that.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    They're consumer grade products, and as such have a large variance and margin of error.

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Surely you are judging progress by more than the number on the scale. Look in the mirror to determine if you're at a good stooping point with weight loss. Don't simply say "10 pounds, all done."
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I think that's pretty typical. Like others said - whichever one you use, use it consistently and you'll see the trend accurately. A pound one way or the other really isn't significant. (I don't know what you weigh, but we're probably talking about less than 1% difference, right?)

Last week, I weighed myself in the morning (after a pee, nothing to eat or drink, and buck naked - that's what I do) and then I had a doctor's appointment where they weighed me (fully clothed and with breakfast and some coffee in my system) and the doctor's scale showed almost a full pound less than my home scale.

I took a moment to sort of smile and think "boo-yah!" but then I ignored it and will continue to use the scale at home.
  • Scamd83
    Scamd83 Posts: 808 Member
    Options
    Pick one and stick to it, if you had no reason to stop using the other one, go back to that. Scales cannot give accurate bodyfat measurement, you're better off finding one of those pictures which has various people at different BF% ranges and comparing yourself.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    If you lined up 10 scales on the same floor, and weighed yourself on one right after another, you would probably get 10 different weights. And on any given day, your weight can fluctuate as much as 5 lbs (or more) due to water weight, exercise, digestion issues, etc. You are never one exact weight. So a 1 or 2 lb difference is not unusual and there is no way to tell which one is "right". The lesson is not to get too hung up on 1 or 2 lbs here or there :)
  • Jillianx115x
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

Surely you are judging progress by more than the number on the scale. Look in the mirror to determine if you're at a good stooping point with weight loss. Don't simply say "10 pounds, all done."

I definetly don't need to lose more than 10lbs. I'm 5'3 and 126lbs. I am basing the number on a previous weight that I was at a while ago and very happy and comfortable at. I've had this body for 30years, so I know what I look like at certain weights and I can assure you that I'm very versed in knowing what weight works for me. Thanks.
  • chandanista
    chandanista Posts: 986 Member
    Options
    I'd stick with the original scale. I'm also unimpressed with my scale's supposed ability to tell me my bf%. It gives me large swings up and down on that number during a week.
  • vickyaldersey
    vickyaldersey Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    :/:|
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Use one scale -- doesn't matter which one.
    Take pictures and measurements because progress with those can help motivate you more than the scale.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options

I definetly don't need to lose more than 10lbs. I'm 5'3 and 126lbs. I am basing the number on a previous weight that I was at a while ago and very happy and comfortable at. I've had this body for 30years, so I know what I look like at certain weights and I can assure you that I'm very versed in knowing what weight works for me. Thanks.

If fitness and diet has remained similar over the years you might look the same when you get to 126. But you might not. You body composition may have changed due to activity level, weight loss or other lifestyle factors.
  • prdavies1949
    prdavies1949 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    The solution is easy. Use the new scales it gives you your body fat measurement. Then subtract 1.8lbs from the weight for your records. I have found that when you have 2 different readings from 2 scales then the lowest one is ALWAYS correct.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options

In that case, you shouldn't need us to tell you which scale is correct. Besides, nobody here has any idea which one (if either) is correct.

Also, if you know what you look like at certain weights - why do you need the scale at all?

I'm not being snarky - just pointing out some very flawed logic in your posts.