Complex issue

I have been on synthroid for 20 years. Half my thyroid was removed due to tumors growing on it. I cannot take too much synthroid as it will throw me into osteoporosis. I am in the middle of the range on my lab work. I have a bone density scan done every 2 years.

Replies

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    What is your food plan?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    I don't see a question that can be answered.

• starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    I am guessing you are wondering how to lose weight when they can't get your thyroid to an optimum level. The answer is the same as for everyone else, eat less than you burn. The only difference is you might be allowed less calories that someone who has a perfectly functioning thyroid. It can still be done I promise. It might seem slower, it might feel unfair, and it might be hard to stay motivated since a slow thyroid can jack up your energy levels. But you can lose weight, and the formula will be the same. Plug in your stats on here and see what calories the app allows you, try that amount for awhile and see if you lose on it, if you don't then drop your calorie goal by 100 calories and repeat the same process till you find the amount that works for you.
  • ryry_
    ryry_ Posts: 4,966 Member
    I am guessing you are wondering how to lose weight when they can't get your thyroid to an optimum level. The answer is the same as for everyone else, eat less than you burn. The only difference is you might be allowed less calories that someone who has a perfectly functioning thyroid. It can still be done I promise. It might seem slower, it might feel unfair, and it might be hard to stay motivated since a slow thyroid can jack up your energy levels. But you can lose weight, and the formula will be the same. Plug in your stats on here and see what calories the app allows you, try that amount for awhile and see if you lose on it, if you don't then drop your calorie goal by 100 calories and repeat the same process till you find the amount that works for you.

Excellent response friend
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    edited March 2016
    Firstly i'm sorry for your health problems. Do you have hypothyroidism?

Have you spoken with your doctor about your planned loss? Also your osteoporosis worries?

I have hypothyroidism amongst a number of other health bobbins.

I'm on levothyroxine, I'm also on doctor administered high dose Calcium and D3.

How much do you have to lose? What's your height? Activity level? If you'd like a friend who also has hypothyroidism and will support you please add me but just say 'thyroid' in the message so I know which thread you're from. That goes for others too :D

Just to say you can lose...it's very possible I'm down 11lbs since diagnosis. Weight loss isn't linear and your journey may be a bit slower than others and don't judge yourself compared to other peoples journey - good luck!
  • starwhisperer6
    starwhisperer6 Posts: 402 Member
    ryry62685 wrote: »

Excellent response friend

Why thank you, the whole, "even a broken clock is right twice a day" thing :)