Will drinking a protein shake instead of eating dinner aid in weight loss?

Options
I recently got a job where I sit all day. I don't get home until 8PM. I eat dinner when I get home and am not done until after 9PM...I go to sleep shortly thereafter.
Will drinking a protein shake instead of eating dinner aid in weight loss? I understand that I need to choose a shake that has the proper amount of calories and nutrients in order for me to stay healthy and lose weight.
For the past few days I've been getting up at 5am and go out for a 3 mile run just to remain active because it's all a balancing act.
Any suggestions or ideas?

Replies

• mnec2010
    mnec2010 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I was working a job like that, I did meal prep on Sundays and ate my supper at work around 5
  • dolliesdaughter
    dolliesdaughter Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    CICO. Personally, I would just preplan and eat real food. "I" am just not a meal replacement type of person.
  • nygr8guy
    nygr8guy Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    It would have to be a cold meal because I'm on the phones and don't have the time to break to microwave anything.
  • rjan91
    rjan91 Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I do that for mornings. I have a light snack when I get up - I can't eat a lot then. I also have a job where I could be teaching a class, so a protein shake is doable for me whereas eating something at that time wouldn't be. It sounds like that may work for you. You can prep it ahead and drink it at meal time. Best thing is to try it and see how you make out!
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    nygr8guy wrote: »
    I recently got a job where I sit all day. I don't get home until 8PM. I eat dinner when I get home and am not done until after 9PM...I go to sleep shortly thereafter.
    Will drinking a protein shake instead of eating dinner aid in weight loss? I understand that I need to choose a shake that has the proper amount of calories and nutrients in order for me to stay healthy and lose weight.
    For the past few days I've been getting up at 5am and go out for a 3 mile run just to remain active because it's all a balancing act.

So it sounds like you've got a few concerns; calorie intake, exercise and the timing.

As far as losing/ maintaining weight is concerned meal timing isn't an issue, so the idea of drinking your calories is mainly around time taken, and the temptation to graze. I have a similar time issue so know the challenge.

The idea of shakes instead of real food doesn't inspire me at all, so thats a question of whether you can sustainably drink shakes. Much of weight loss and maintenance is about finding sustainable lifestyle changes. Only you know the answer to that, but it wouldn't suit me.

As far as activity is concerned, running is a big benefit. I'm an endurance runner myself, so it's where I go for my exercise. I'd balance the running with some resistance work as well, possibly alternate days. You don't get the same calorie expenditure but it compliments the running very well. Bodyweight work is good for runners and easy to fit in.

• phyllis731
    phyllis731 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I think we just need to do what's best for us. If you can't do other things, then have the shake or a smoothie.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,966 Member
    Options
    If you are looking for something quick and/or low cal due to the proximity of your bed time and this meal, sure, a protein shake would work. My personal preference is smoothies for breakfast. When I had an office job with long hours, when I came home I'd heat up something I'd prepared on the weekend.

mnec2010 wrote: »
    When I was working a job like that, I did meal prep on Sundays and ate my supper at work around 5
    It would have to be a cold meal because I'm on the phones and don't have the time to break to microwave anything.
    If you did want to have cold food at work sandwiches work well for this.

What time are your breaks at work?

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    It is o.k. to eat late at night before bed as long as it does not interfere with your sleep.
    If you need enough calories in the shake, add full fat yogurt or coconut oil. Fats and oils up the calorie count quickly.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Is it you're worried about eating so late or are uncomfortable before bed? Otherwise you're good to eat whatever you please.

I get really uncomfortable if I eat before I sleep, so on a personal level I would prefer a proper nutrition shake I'm the same in the mornings I feel a bit sick if I eat lots first things so I actually DO use a shake... I use Maximuscle Sculptress and often mix with soya milk for extra cals.

Good luck
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you want, it won't hurt anything, but I much prefer to eat real food. I don't even really like eating junk food any more because I don't get nearly as much bang for my caloric buck. For example, yesterday I had 20g of a dark chocolate coconut easter egg. That's 20g, less than 1oz. It cost me 100 calories! I could've consumed twice the weight in cheese or meat for the same bang and better nutritional content.

There is nothing wrong with eating at night, at the end of the day, it's CICO.
  • chelseafxx
    chelseafxx Posts: 251 Member
    Options

I eat all of my prepped meals cold because I don't like the idea of microwaves anyway and honestly just don't care and they are all just as amazing cold! When you're hungry you don't care haha. But real food will be much more satisfying IMO than a shake. But you could do a shake if you wanted to.
  • EnterpriseA
    EnterpriseA Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I have always read that real food is better. Protein shakes won't hurt you but food protein is the way to go. I supplement with protein shakes but I don't replace meals with them.
  • TrailNurse
    TrailNurse Posts: 359 Member
    Options

This may be a good time for you to try Intermittent Fasting. Or try having some bone broth during this sedentary time.