Gall Bladder Removal and Weightloss

Options

Replies

• WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in November. I ended up being out of work for 2 weeks because of some uncommon post-surgical side effects. I gained weight after the removal, but more because I just didn't care about my diet. I continued to have some GI issues post-surgically, but once I added a probiotic in February those issues seem to have remedied themselves.
  • PurpleOrchid531
    PurpleOrchid531 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in November. I ended up being out of work for 2 weeks because of some uncommon post-surgical side effects. I gained weight after the removal, but more because I just didn't care about my diet. I continued to have some GI issues post-surgically, but once I added a probiotic in February those issues seem to have remedied themselves.

Oh yeah -- I too found the probiotic helped a ton.
  • puffbrat
    puffbrat Posts: 2,806 Member
    Options
    I had mine out in 2008. I had temporary weight loss due to diarrhea and then a post-op infection which essentially blocked anything from moving through my intestines and forced it back up. I was only out for a few days with the surgery, the infection and drain tube had me down for a couple weeks.
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    Just FYI, something doctors never tell you is that 10 - 15% of people who have their gallbladders removed develop Post-Cholecystectomy Syndrome, which is basically chronic diarrhea with minimal warning, along with chronic gastritis. I have this, and it's made my life miserable. I have to take drugs every day for the gastritis, and I'm housebound a great deal of my life due to the diarrhea (basically Dumping Syndrome). Eating less fat since I found MFP helps, but it is still a regular occurrence.

This is really interesting. I was never told about this, but I would definitely say I have this. When I complained to my GP about these symptoms several years ago (a couple years after surgery), she said it was abnormal and tested me for celiac disease (don't have it). The first year was the worst, in which pretty any meal and especially anything greasy would send me to the bathroom within 5 minutes of finishing. My stomach is still really sensitive to mood. This issue is really bad anytime I am stressed, anxious, sick.... Last week I lost a couple pounds thanks to diarrhea because I was really stressed.

In general, having my gallbladder removed has had no appreciable long-term impact on my weight.
  • spookyface
    spookyface Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I recall a friend 40 years ago being out of work for 2-4 weeks. She had lost about 30 lbs. when she returned. But like I say that was decades ago. Probably alot faster now, better techniques.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,561 Member
    Options
    One note to OP, as well as other respondents:

I understand & sympathize with those who've had negative side effects or recovery issues with this surgery. It's a good thing for someone who's going into it to be aware of these possibilities, and you-all have the best understanding of them.

But, specifically for OP, I want to add a reminder that on a thread like this, it's likely that you may see "selection bias" - that is, the population who reply on the thread aren't statistically equivalent to the general population who've had the surgery. Those who had "no problem" surgery and put it behind them are somewhat less likely to reply, in that it didn't make much ripple in their lifestyle. Those who've sadly had more difficult recoveries are probably more likely to reply.

If you're concerned, you may want to ask your surgeon about the incidence of worrying side effects (i.e., ask what percentage of people experience them).

Again, not trying to minimize anyone's negative experiences at all, and I fully support your sharing them here. But I don't want OP to worry beyond the appropriate amount, either.
  • ccjlgrider
    ccjlgrider Posts: 49 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Had mine out in November. Was doing some cardio in two weeks but had to wait six weeks for weight lifting. Didn't affect my weight at all. I felt better though. Really wasn't a big deal. I slept a lot for two days and took a nap each day for a week or so. Just not a big deal. In fact, if it weren't for those tiny scars, I'd forget I ever had it. Good luck!
  • Jmepee
    Jmepee Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out last Wednesday and took 6 days off the elliptical and am now back at it 90 min workouts.
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I gained a little after I had mine out, because I could FINALLY eat without being in horrid pain. Seriously though, I was 8 months pregnant when mine decided to suddenly become an issue and it landed me in the hospital for the last several weeks of my pregnancy. I started developing problems with my liver as a result of a stone blocking the common bile duct which endangered not only myself but also my tiny human. It was evil and the pain was honestly worse than delivering my daughter. :( The surgery itself was easy peasy (they had me deliver early and then they removed the offending organ). I was picking up my daughter and carrying on with parenthood within a few hours of the surgery and I only used ibuprofen for discomfort because I didn't want narcotics to impact my ability to care for my kiddo.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    Or you can use a product called Stonebreaker by Herbpharm and avoid surgery all together. I have more then a dozen friends who were having gallbladder issues and put a stop to it by going through two rounds (two 30mL bottles) of the Stonebreaker. Several were actually scheduled for surgery and cancelled it after using this. GB problems are exceedingly painful (BTDT. Had a gallstone cause pancreatitis while I was 13 weeks pregnant), but one does not need to have their GB taken out to fix the problem. Digesting fats and having runny stools are a lifelong issue for a lot of people who have their GB out. It's there for a reason......

If you do use the stone breaker - it is NASTY tasting stuff, my friends have found it most tolerable in purple grape juice.

I don't need everyone elses crap for suggesting this. You all gave her your medical information, I'm offering a non slash and cut route. She's old enough to research and choose, so please kindly skip the nasty comments. Whatever you do, OP, I do wish you well and a speedy recovery!
  • mtolose1
    mtolose1 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I had mine done, was supposed to go home same day. I went home the next day. But the following day i was back in the hospital, and remained there due to complications. Lost about 15 lbs in 10 days. I was out of work for about a full month. Took a while for my body to recover. The complications werent severe, just lots and lots of nausea, vomitting, blood work being out of control, etc. I did have bleeding more than expected so i had two drains for a few days longer. Etc. Though i was miserable those days....

Fast fwd 2 years later....i do have to avoid greasy food. Like some one mentioned above, to much greasy food will easily cause diarrhea. Which i hate so i avoid it. Lol. So i guess it kind of helped in some way. I still eat it, just not like before, bc i already know the consequences.

I had the small incisions. So not really noticeable now. Everyones body is different. I know quite a bit of people who have had this done and out of a large group id say 2-3 had issues, including myself. So id say you will probably be fine.

Hope all goes well.
  • ajsutter0396
    ajsutter0396 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I lost 25lbs before having mine out because it felt like I was being stabbed whenever I ate. Not s recommended diet! I was out of work for a week. I work 12 hour shifts, on my feet, moving patients. I did have increased swelling/bloating on work days for about a month. Still had some pain but it resolved over a year. The worst part for me was the gas they use to inflate your abdomen. When you sit up, the gas travels up and lodges under your clavicles. Painful to breathe! Laying back down resolves it. Took a couple of days for that to go away.
  • StacyChrz
    StacyChrz Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I had my gallbladder out in 2011. At the time I wasn't very active and didn't care for my job so I took the full 2 weeks off. I did, however, switch from prescribed pain reliever to OTC pain reliever after just 1 full day and was able to get up and walk around the house with minimal pain by the second day. I think that everyone reacts to surgery differently, but in general a gallbladder removal without complications can be relatively easy to come back from. I have not found that I have any foods that I cannot eat but my mother can't have anything with seeds, like flax. You'll have to try things out and see how you feel but for me it did not make a major change. I can also say that anytime I am serious about eating healthy and exercising I have no difficulty losing weight so it didn't hamper that either.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,561 Member
    Options
    Or you can use a product called Stonebreaker by Herbpharm and avoid surgery all together. I have more then a dozen friends who were having gallbladder issues and put a stop to it by going through two rounds (two 30mL bottles) of the Stonebreaker. Several were actually scheduled for surgery and cancelled it after using this. GB problems are exceedingly painful (BTDT. Had a gallstone cause pancreatitis while I was 13 weeks pregnant), but one does not need to have their GB taken out to fix the problem. Digesting fats and having runny stools are a lifelong issue for a lot of people who have their GB out. It's there for a reason......

If you do use the stone breaker - it is NASTY tasting stuff, my friends have found it most tolerable in purple grape juice.

I don't need everyone elses crap for suggesting this. You all gave her your medical information, I'm offering a non slash and cut route. She's old enough to research and choose, so please kindly skip the nasty comments. Whatever you do, OP, I do wish you well and a speedy recovery!

Without offering an opinion on the product:

Note that not all gall bladder surgery is for gallstones or "sludge". OP didn't specify.

For example, mine was done because of symptomatic adenomymatosis, a thickening of the GB wall that is associated with increased risk for malignancy. Because of my history of cancer, they wanted to remove it & send it to pathology just in case. There was fairly extensive inflammatory damage & cholesterolosis - all related to my (then) poor health practices as far as weight & diet. There were actually holes through the gall bladder wall. No pill is fixing any of that.
  • Pinkylee77
    Pinkylee77 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    My surgery was because it just quit working. I was off a few weeks but I am a nurse and on my feet all the time. I was up and cooking in about 3 days. Some people recover very fast some do not. It did not affect my weight at all. I had a conservative physician and she did not want me to do too much for a bit after and it was OK by me. I was so sick before I felt great after.
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »

Without offering an opinion on the product:

Note that not all gall bladder surgery is for gallstones or "sludge". OP didn't specify.

For example, mine was done because of symptomatic adenomymatosis, a thickening of the GB wall that is associated with increased risk for malignancy. Because of my history of cancer, they wanted to remove it & send it to pathology just in case. There was fairly extensive inflammatory damage & cholesterolosis - all related to my (then) poor health practices as far as weight & diet. There were actually holes through the gall bladder wall. No pill is fixing any of that.

True, true. Probably more common that it's stones then what you had, but yes, there are other reasons for GB surgery for sure.
  • SaskyB
    SaskyB Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Hiya.

I had mine out on Thursday evening (24th). My surgeon has recommended a month from my job as a midwife, and isn't particular about dietary guidelines. I took paracetamol twice today but an egg hunt with the kids was more important than resting. My tummy is still quite swollen and I feel full easily, however that awful pain and sense of being constantly unwell is gone!

I feel like I have an opportunity to start good habits over as my digestion requires retraining. Recommendations so far have been probiotics, Vitamin D, smaller meals, lower fats, consider gallbladder failure as a symptom of being coeliac (I have autoimmune disease), reduce carbs and sugars, and apple cider vinegar... Sounds easy enough =).
  • choppie70
    choppie70 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed through belly button laproscopically. It took me a full two wks to walk and move with ease and after a month half i was able to dance. Unless it must come out asap i would suggest overhauling your diet do a liver and colon cleanse at least..
    My gallbladder attacks (pains) continued after surgery and recently my new doctor has discovered paracitic infections that would have explained my gallbladder issues coming out if nowhere. Eating vegetables and fruit while cutting the crap processed foods sugars will help you recover and who knows surgery could be avoided. I know i wish i never had mine removed and i wish doctors these days could explain what causes these issues so people can learn to avoid them.

When I went to my surgical consultation, the surgeon told me that once you have a gall bladder attack, there is almost 100% chance that you will have another attack. My MIL was told she needed to have hers removed about 5 years ago. She refused and is eating as clean as she can - she has pretty much cut out all processed foods, eating organic, gluten free, etc, and she will still have attacks weekly.

Plus, not all gall stones/kidneys stones can really be prevented. My gall stones and kidney stones were caused by Hyperparathyroidism. One of my parathyroids was producing too much PTH and it caused my body to leech calcium which caused stones. I had to have the parathyroid removed.
  • heatherc369
    heatherc369 Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have never had stones, my GI doc just told me my GB was sick and needed to come out. I also have ulcerative colitis which has caused proctitis so for me I guess its hard to tell which thing is causing which pain. I have my appointment with the surgeon April 5th, I know hes the one to voice concerns to but I cannot help it, I have been trying to ask everyone I can about it to get ideas of what to expect, I know my story could be nothing like anything I have read or heard...but I am just a curious person and cannot contain myself from researching lol
  • ronjsteele1
    Options
    choppie70 wrote: »
    I had mine removed through belly button laproscopically. It took me a full two wks to walk and move with ease and after a month half i was able to dance. Unless it must come out asap i would suggest overhauling your diet do a liver and colon cleanse at least..
    My gallbladder attacks (pains) continued after surgery and recently my new doctor has discovered paracitic infections that would have explained my gallbladder issues coming out if nowhere. Eating vegetables and fruit while cutting the crap processed foods sugars will help you recover and who knows surgery could be avoided. I know i wish i never had mine removed and i wish doctors these days could explain what causes these issues so people can learn to avoid them.

When I went to my surgical consultation, the surgeon told me that once you have a gall bladder attack, there is almost 100% chance that you will have another attack. My MIL was told she needed to have hers removed about 5 years ago. She refused and is eating as clean as she can - she has pretty much cut out all processed foods, eating organic, gluten free, etc, and she will still have attacks weekly.

Plus, not all gall stones/kidneys stones can really be prevented. My gall stones and kidney stones were caused by Hyperparathyroidism. One of my parathyroids was producing too much PTH and it caused my body to leech calcium which caused stones. I had to have the parathyroid removed.

Your MIL is an exact case for using Stonebreaker. If it works like it has for all of my friends the have used it, two weeks will usually take care of the issue. Once in awhile a 3rd week might need to be added but two usually does it.

HyperPTH can definitely be an issue but had they ripped your GB out and not found the cause you'd still be having health issues b/c HPTH causes so many other issues as well. Nice that they were able to find this! When a friend of mine had her PTH gland out for it she improved significantly health wise! Hope that's been the case for you as well!
  • firef1y72
    firef1y72 Posts: 1,579 Member
    Options
    I had mine removed way back in 1992, one of the first in the UK to have keyhole. Had a bad reaction to the drugs so stayed in a few days (this was back when they liked to keep you in hospital for a week after having your first baby). Was then not allowed to lift/look after my 10month old baby for 2 weeks and struggled to eat much at all for about a month.

24 years later I still can't eat much in the way of fat, but am managing to lose weight fine (and managed to put it on quite easily too).