what food to eat after a work out

Options
i just started to do a cycle class three time a week . After the gym i go start to work and i have no idea what to eat after my work out that does kill all the calories i just burned without being hungry all morning. I had some oatmeal with fruit today and it was 600 calories. Help !

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Is this a snack in addition to your breakfast or is this your breakfast?

How many calories do you want to consume after your workout?
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    no this is my breakfast....
  • tssomerville6113
    tssomerville6113 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i am trying to still loss weight so i want to try to stay at 1500 for all day and tend to eat a bigger meal at dinner so i want to try to keep my breakfast around 300-400 calories.
  • AverageJoeFit
    AverageJoeFit Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    After cardio you need more carbs. After weights protein.

So for a cycle class which is more cardio maybe a small bowl of healthy cereal or something.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    Are you increasing your calories at all due to the increased activity? Or are you keeping it at the same level?

If you aren't increasing your calories, the hunger is going to be a pretty natural consequence.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    That must be a gigantic bowl of oatmeal with fruit? I'd figure that'd be ~200 calories? If that's the type of thing you like for breakfast, try mixing 1/3c oats (100cal), 2/3-1c water, 1/2 scoop protein powder (60cal), 2 eggs whites (35cal), and a packet of Splenda then nuke in the microwave for ~2min. Top with a tablespoon of peanut butter (100cal) and a sliced banana (100cal). 400 calories with a good mix of protein, fat, and carbs which should keep you full until lunch.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    A Quest bar (200cal) and a serving of almonds (160cal) is another go to for me when I've gotta get to work. A small 'skinny' latte and egg white, cheese, and Canadian bacon English muffin sandwich is about 400cal (McDonald's, Subway, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, etc all have variations) is easy on the go.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Loomisj72 wrote: »
    After cardio you need more carbs. After weights protein.

So for a cycle class which is more cardio maybe a small bowl of healthy cereal or something.

No to both. Just eat what you normally would. Meal/nutrient timing might make that slight difference for an elite athlete, but for everyone else don't worry about it.