Atkins Diet??

Options
Has anyone done the Atkins Diet? I have a friend who is doing it now and is seeing great results. I'm just a little skeptical? Anyone ever done this program?

Replies

• HeyLisa
    HeyLisa Posts: 201
    Options
    I did it AS WRITTEN for about 4 years and lost and kept most of 100lbs off a few years back. So many do not. I did very well.. I truly felt healthy (after the first 2 weeks of induction).

The reasons I left Atkins were:
    * not a diet you can cheat with - if you find your not consistent with eating one way you have big weight fluctuations
    * didn't over all work with my long term food likes, wishes, lifestyle (which is why i'm doing it the MFP way now - I believe I can sustain this way of eating).

Finding a diet that works for you is very personal. Dieters all choose to give up something .. ie., portions, binges, carbs.. I think finding the way of eating you believe you can live with as a way of life is the way to go.

Good luck!
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I did it years ago and lost a lot of weight but when I went back to eating carbs it all came back within a few months.

I don't think it is healthy. I have a friend who does it every year for a few months, loses loads then goes back to usual and it comes back then she does it again the next year. She loses weight going to the pub and eating chicken wings and all that yummy but super unhealthy stuff. I must admit - it makes me jealous when I am sitting there with my salad and she has deep fried pork ribs (and is losing more than me) but I remind myself of all the vitamins and antioxidants I am getting from my fruit and veg that will keep me healthier and wrinkle / cancer free for longer (knock on wood!)

I have almost eliminated breads and pastas from my diet recently and am seeing results from that. Maybe you could try that, its not as hard core.
  • 0SimplymeStacyLea0
    Options
    Yea, that's what got me curious about it. She says she feels wonderful. I know that carbs are my biggest addiction but I want to be able to just change my life style and not give up everything. Thanks for your in-put :smile:
  • NKF92879
    NKF92879 Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    Ummm... Dr. Adkins died before he hit 60, heart disease. Eating that much protein, your body goes into overdrive because it's so hard to digest. That's why you'll have weight loss. I guess I'm not a fan of "dieting" in general. I believe in making healthy lifestyle choices overall that you can live with forever. With a diet, you ALWAYS run the risk of gaining weight back when you finish the "diet." That being said, I know people it worked well for, but they all gained the weight back. :S
  • dansnewstart
    dansnewstart Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I did it as well for a couple of months beginning in March of this year. I lost about 20 lbs in the first 6 weeks and my BP and cholestorol numbers went way down. I'm on a modified Atkins now(low carb). Good luck!!
  • loriltx
    loriltx Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I believe I read that Atkins died in an accident (slipped on ice and hit is head). The problem with Atkins is that most people do not really follow the diet. They think that as long as you eliminate carbs, it is okay to eat as much fat as you want because it does not have carbs. That is not true. Atkins diet is based on protein and unprocessed carbs (found in vegetables). Atkins main dinner meal was 6 ounces of a protein (chicken, fish, or a filet of beef) and a salad or a vegetable. Then he used whatever salad dressing sauces he wanted that did not contain sugars. The other problem with Atkins is that you have to be able to maintain this type of a lifestyle. For some people (those who don't eat many fruits and vegetables anyway and can give up grains), this is a sustainable and healthy lifestyle.

My husband followed the diet several years ago. He lost a lot of weight and his cholestrol actually dropped down to within normal range the entire time he was on it without the use of drugs. His doctor told him that there was nothing wrong with Atkins as low as you truly followed the diet. My husband could not however sustain eating this way--he likes everything. He therefore switched to a more balanced diet without gaining any of the lost weight back. He still avoids processed carbs though.
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Ummm... Dr. Adkins died before he hit 60, heart disease. Eating that much protein, your body goes into overdrive because it's so hard to digest. That's why you'll have weight loss. I guess I'm not a fan of "dieting" in general. I believe in making healthy lifestyle choices overall that you can live with forever. With a diet, you ALWAYS run the risk of gaining weight back when you finish the "diet." That being said, I know people it worked well for, but they all gained the weight back. :S

Actually, that's not true.

Per USA Today:

"Cardiologist Robert Atkins, the weight-loss guru who put steak back on the nation's menu, died Thursday in New York from head injuries he suffered last week in a fall. He was 72. "

http://www.usatoday.com/news/health/2003-04-17-atkins-dies_x.htm

Anyways, I tried the Atkins diet as well. Worked for a few weeks and I did drop some lbs. But everyone is right --- it's very hard to stick to. You'd be surprised just what has carbs in it. Your diet is pretty limited compared to just counting your calories on this site.
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options

All of this is untrue. You should really learn the facts before spouting things you hear others speak.

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".

Your body burns fat instead of carbs when you limit your carb intake. Your body (liver) can quite easily process 200-300 grams of protein a day. It's not "hard to digest".

I know quite a few people who have chosen to live a low carb lifestyle because it works for them. One of them is a diabetic who needs to watch her carb intake, especially sugars, anyway.

To the OP, if you truly love carbs, this way of eating is not for you. I've had a few phases in my life where I've lived low carb for several months at a time, because it works for me and I don't crave sugar, bread, etc. However, because my husband and son both eat carbs, I've ended up giving it up because it's too much of a hassle to buy and make different foods. I haven't "put all of the weight back on right away", either, but that's mostly because I've just continued to watch my calorie intake.
  • LdyGeko
    LdyGeko Posts: 433
    Options
  • journey43
    journey43 Posts: 1
    Options
    I HAD A COUSIN WHO WAS VERY HEAVY,AND SHE LOST SO MUCH!WEIGHT! ON THE ATKINS DIET,BUT WHEN SHE BECAME PREGNANT SHE GAINED IT BACK,BUT IT WORKED FOR HER!,AND BY THE WAY IM NEW ON HERE!I JUST JOINED,AND HELLO!EVERYBODY!:happy:
  • daisymae9801
    daisymae9801 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I HAD A COUSIN WHO WAS VERY HEAVY,AND SHE LOST SO MUCH!WEIGHT! ON THE ATKINS DIET,BUT WHEN SHE BECAME PREGNANT SHE GAINED IT BACK,BUT IT WORKED FOR HER!,AND BY THE WAY IM NEW ON HERE!I JUST JOINED,AND HELLO!EVERYBODY!:happy:

Pregnant people usually do gain weight :)
  • JENNIFER41412
    JENNIFER41412 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    lol dr atkins did not die from a heart atack... he died from a fall on ice.. look it up or buy the book.. atkins is the best diet ever if you stick to it!
  • Mystic_Potato
    Mystic_Potato Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I did the Atkin's Diet and lost a lot of weight very quickly. But as soon as I stopped and tried to eat normally all of the weight piled on even quicker than I lost it. I felt like it was kind of hard on my body. My husband (fiancé at the time) started to have kidney pains so he stopped it pretty quickly.

The best I've done with weight loss (and not regaining it immediately) is a healthy balanced diet and moderate exercise.
  • NKF92879
    Options
    I never said he died from a heart attack, I said he had heart disease. Which is true. Also, ask a medical professional what they think about Adkins. I've never heard a doctor, nurse, etc. say anything flattering about it. As a matter of fact, when I asked my doctor what she thought about Adkins and other such diets at my appointment yesterday, she said it was "potentially quite dangerous." I think I'll stick to good, old-fashioned healthy habits.
  • NKF92879
    Options
    lol dr atkins did not die from a heart atack... he died from a fall on ice.. look it up or buy the book.. atkins is the best diet ever if you stick to it!

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition (http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/od/atkinsdiet/a/dratkinsdeath.htm)
  • tanyaelise
    tanyaelise Posts: 28
    Options
    Dr. Robert Atkins died on 17 April 2003 at the age of 72 after sustaining head injuries in a fall outside his New York clinic.

My huband and I did the Adkins Diet. I lost a total of 75 lbs. My husband lost 41. We both loved the diet. After the first week, we lost water weight caused by our carb overloading. Midway through the next week, we lost our cravings for sweets and breads.

Personally...I felt cleaner...that's the only way I can describe it. After the weight loss I maintained that weight for 4 years until I moved to the coast, bought a boat, and decided it's fun to eat out on the water. I am now 7 years post Adkins diet and have about 18 lbs to lose til I am at the weight I was when I started blowing off the diet.

As a previous poster mentioned...you can't cheat...at all. Also, don't beleive all the comments about it being not healthy. It's very healthy. DO NOT put yourself on some sort of meat and cheese diet. That's not what it's about and that is the unhealthy part. You are supposed to have normal servings of meat, fish, cheese, (yes you can have bacon and eggs...they don't have carbs) but normal servings is the key. You are also supposed to have up to 4 cups of vegitables (of the low carb type for salads) or two cups of things (I ate) like green beans and broccoli.

Overall I was extreamly pleased with the results and the diet. Get the book, give it a try, and make your own decision. GOOD LUCK!
  • bcase3
    bcase3 Posts: 2
    Options
    South Beach is alittle easier to live with vs. Atkins...
  • tanyaelise
    tanyaelise Posts: 28
    Options

All of this is untrue. You should really learn the facts before spouting things you hear others speak.

In 2000, Dr. Atkins developed cardiomyopathy, an incurable heart condition which has quite a few different causes. His was thought to be from a viral illness, and his physician stated at the time that there was no evidence that his diet contributed to the condition. His coronary arteries were reported to have been checked at that time and found to be free of blockages. Cardiomyopathy makes it more likely that a person will have a cardiac arrest (heart stopping), which happened to him two years later. Again, the cardiac arrest was not thought to be diet related. His cardiologist stated that (other than the cardiomyopathy), Atkins had "an extraordinarily healthy cardiovascular system".

Your body burns fat instead of carbs when you limit your carb intake. Your body (liver) can quite easily process 200-300 grams of protein a day. It's not "hard to digest".

I know quite a few people who have chosen to live a low carb lifestyle because it works for them. One of them is a diabetic who needs to watch her carb intake, especially sugars, anyway.

To the OP, if you truly love carbs, this way of eating is not for you. I've had a few phases in my life where I've lived low carb for several months at a time, because it works for me and I don't crave sugar, bread, etc. However, because my husband and son both eat carbs, I've ended up giving it up because it's too much of a hassle to buy and make different foods. I haven't "put all of the weight back on right away", either, but that's mostly because I've just continued to watch my calorie intake.

My most recent attempt at Adkins... I ran into the same issue trying to essentially prepare two different meals...nearly every day. It's easier when the whole family is involved. While my family doesn't really need the diet, they eat healthier when I'm on it. More veggies and meats, less processed foods and junk.
  • NKF92879
    Options
    I guess my main point, that my doctor advised against it, was missed.
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options

Wow, that information is hugely false! Dr. Adkins died at the age of 72, from slipping and falling on the ice outside of his office in NYC. He died from an injury to the brain. He was incredibly healthy at the time of his death. You are not eating "that much" protein, in fact, you are getting most of your carbs from veggies and salads. The main food you are eliminating is starchy, refined carbs in the form of bread, pasta, potatos, rice, flour, etc. You lose weight on Atkins because your body starts burning your stored fat for energy, instead of burning carbs for energy. You are correct that any diet is a lifestyle change, and as with ANY diet (weight watchers included) as soon as you quit, and return to eating unhealthy, you will gain the weight back.