Thining about a baby...

Options
So I feel like it's about time for me to have a baby. I've been feeling this maternal instinct for about a year now. I was thinking that this year would be a little soon and that it would take some time before my husband was ready. I finally told him last week that I want to start trying next year. He said he didn't think he would be ready then. However, I've been with him for 8 years (dated 4, married 4) and knew that by starting that conversation, I would be planting a seed (so to speak).

So this morning, he brought the subject up. He told me that he thought he was about 85% ready. Then a couple minutes later he said that I could stop my birth control if I wanted. Now I guess it's kind of up to me. Part of me is ready now, but then I think about all that I need to do to prepare. So now I guess it's time to do some baby research, so I can start planning and practicing.

Replies

• Blakemore1229
    Options
    Go for it no one is ever ready for a child...my girls are my life...some days are trying but i am so thankful for them!! And if he says we can start better jump on it cause they change there minds fast...wanted another little one but my husband said hes not ready yet... :( Good luck and congratz!!
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    That's awesome! Kids are hard work, but SO much fun (as my two girls are sharing a tea set across my laptop). Just make sure you're ready!!
  • tekiegirl
    tekiegirl Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Sounds great, good luck!
    I'd talk to your doctor about the best ways to get your body ready :o)
  • bkennedy1612
    Options
    Children can never be planned for, and it takes a while to get pregnant then you have 9 (technically 10) months to prepare for the little bundle of joy. Congratulations on the decision though!!! I can't wait for our 2nd. Our first just turned one, and I'm so happy I did it now while I can keep up with her lol.

Best of luck!
  • campi_mama
    campi_mama Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    There usually isn't a "perfect time" to have a baby. Having a child is one of the best things that happen in your life (in my humble opinion). Have fun trying :tongue:
  • TheMrsBee
    TheMrsBee Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I'm the same i came off my pill after our honeymoon and we are going to start trying around September time (i wanted to give my body a break from any pills as i was on it for about 7 years) I think my body is ready now, i just want to be healthy.

Good luck i really hope you get pregnant soon! xx
  • jeff261159
    jeff261159 Posts: 385
    Options
    Dont plan or be too scientific about it, it will happen and it will be the most fantastic thing! Good luck x
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Birth control can take some time to get out of your system... or sometimes it can happen right away! I would go for it and then start planning when you know you are preggers! Life should be exciting! Why do we feel like we gotta plan everything? (I know I know, I try to plan for EVERYTHING too! )
  • jfer1977
    jfer1977 Posts: 139
    Options
    Sounds to me like it could be the right time for you. If you do decide to go ahead I'll give you a piece of advice that someone gave me when I was pregnant with my first. Start buying diapers as soon as you find out you're pregnant. I didn't do that with my first and I wish I would have. Diapers and formula (if you go that route) are the two biggest expenses. With my second we didn't start buying diapers, but we got a reloadable gift card to our local store (Wal-Mart) and put money on it every paycheck. Then after we had our baby that's what we used to buy anything we needed for her. It really helped a lot.

Good luck.
  • jujubean1992
    jujubean1992 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    i got pregnant at 17 and was no where near ready but by time i gave birth i was ready to take care of a baby and my son is the best thing that has ever happened to me! go for it!
  • sent4rmabove23
    Options
    Children can never be planned for, and it takes a while to get pregnant then you have 9 (technically 10) months to prepare for the little bundle of joy. Congratulations on the decision though!!! I can't wait for our 2nd. Our first just turned one, and I'm so happy I did it now while I can keep up with her lol.

Best of luck!

I agree, children cannot be planned for however congratulations on your decision to become a mom - personally, I think being a parent is one of God's greatest gifts.
  • lambchop1042
    lambchop1042 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Aww that's great! My situation is flipped from yours, my hubby is sooo ready for a baby (he's 7 years older than me so his biological clock is really going off, lol). I want kids too but I want to be "ready" for them, as others have said and I guess it's true no one is 100% ready or feels ready to have kids. But I say go for it if it's something you are both really wanting now. And don't worry about the weight gain once you do get preggers, my sister has had 2 children and she joined MFP with me recently and has lost all the "baby weight" (she had her smallest about 8 months ago and lost all the weight). Good luck!!
  • Amanda421
    Amanda421 Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    congratulations and good luck!
  • nehtaeh
    nehtaeh Posts: 2,977 Member
    Options
    Babies are great. I say just do it. Don' get stressed about trying to plan it all. Our bodies have a mind of their own.

I will have to disagree with starting to buy diapers early. While some are ok, you run the risk of buying diapers you can't use. What if the baby is allergic to one brand. Same with formula, you don't know what your baby will need. However, saving the money is a great idea. Diapers aren't cheap...I bought for 2 for a little over 2 years. *the reloadable gift card is an awesome idea*
  • lukeleia4
    lukeleia4 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I was much like your husband...85% ready (after being married 6 years with a mother-in-law asking every day "are you pregnant yet?"). Went off my birth control thinking it would be a few months at the very least and within the month I was pregnant. In those 40 weeks it gives you time to deal with the whole concept and in all honesty I don't think anyone is EVER 100% ready for what's in store. I have no regrets. My second child was a complete surprise during a very stressful time, but he is an angel and though he and his sister are very close in age, they are growing up together and as much as they argue, they are each other's best friend. My children are amazing and I cannot imagine life without them. Good luck to you and I wish you all the very best.
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    CONGRATULATIONS! I was ready to have kids early on in our marriage, I was almost 27 when we got married and hubby was 32. I had 1 conversation with him after marriage. I told him I refuse to be the type of wife that nags at her husband because she wants a baby. You know I want one and I am ready when ever you are. Nuff said. About 3 months later he decided we needed to talk. He was ready. he realized there was never going to be a right time or perfect time. There would always be a reason to not do it. It took us over a year to conceive. Lots of practice though!! LOL I had to go on Chlomid to get pregnant. Some advice we took from a friend, "every other day Get busy!" It worked for her 3 times! LOL
    HAVE FUN!!! :wink:
  • GrampsWooha
    GrampsWooha Posts: 184
    Options
    babies are cool
  • hwilliams519
    hwilliams519 Posts: 428
    Options
    Thanks guys! I appreciate all your support. I don't want to be an extreme planner, even though sometimes it's hard. I just want to look into the types of things I need to purchase (besides diapers) and check into my insurance a little more. In September I do have a work trip that requires me to fly and I am also doing a half marathon that month. I think once I get thru those things I can start trying. I just don't want to worry. Plus I would like to lose a few pounds before I start trying. We also share a vehicle right now, and live in a one bedroom apt. So we would need to address those things as well.

I already talked to my doctor about preparing my body. She said I just need to take a multi-vitamin and stop my birth control towards the end of the pack. (Ironically I'm at the end of the pack right now.) Other than that, she said I'm healthy and she doesn't foresee any problems.
  • mandarinpeel
    mandarinpeel Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are trying to have a baby. It's part of the reason I got serious about weight loss. I'm having some other issues , but my doctor seemed to think that being over weight is my biggest barrier. Not sure if I agree, but I'm glad to be getting healthier.

Good luck on everything though!
  • vdavis_89
    vdavis_89 Posts: 334
    Options
    ive tried "planting the seed/idea" in my mans head a few times lol we've come to somewhat of an agreement that I have to finish college first (still have about 3-4 yrs left) and then we have to have a house and be stable and blah blah blah.... its sounds waaay to planned to me and I know how he feels. Hopefully it happens soon for you!!! The practice is the best part ;)