Healthy salad dressing

Options
Hi, I'm new here and trying to improve my diet and nutrition. I'm looking for input to find a really healthy salad dressing. So many are really not good for you.

I'm diabetic so it has to be low sugar/carb. I also had a heart attack last month so I need low fat.

What is your favorite?

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    A low-carbohydrate, low-fat dressing I like is apple cider vinegar mixed with a bit of dijon mustard or chili paste (if you like spicy food).
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm really sorry to hear that you had a heart attack.. I don't have a good salad dressing option but I do think a tiny bit of lemon, and cracked S&P make a delicious little flavor boost to most salads instead of dressing. Just be careful with the salt.
  • nichalsont
    nichalsont Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Do you like salsa? I love it on a green salad with grilled chicken.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I like Opa Greek Yogurt blue cheese dressing and Newman's Own lite balsalmic vinaigrette.
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Grab a tall mason gar and add - 1 cup grapeseed oil, 1 cup apple cider vinegar, tablespoon of dijon mustard, and then get some of those squeeze tubes of garlic, lemongrass, dill, basil. Give a squeeze of one or several, mix well, taste, adjust. This will last in the fridge for a couple of weeks. Good on any salad, including quinoa, potato, etc...
  • Calibrate
    Calibrate Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Opps! Meant jar, not gar :s
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I get lots of hits on this pin. Nearly all the combos are great for the heart healthy diabetic. Just replace any sugar with Splenda.

http://pin.it/6zZLtLb

Unsaturated fats are good if you are trying to lower your cholesterol, and have a negligible effect on your blood sugars.
  • pie_eyes
    pie_eyes Posts: 12,965 Member
    Options
    I make a vinaigrette

Mix Olive oil with balsamic vinegar and some minced garlic

I'd do 2 tbsp of olive oil per 4 tbsp of balsamic vinegar

It goes pretty far you don't need much
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just mix some red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. Almost no calories and very tasty.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »
    I just mix some red wine vinegar and Dijon mustard. Almost no calories and very tasty.

i do this too but add shallots.. and use white wine vinegar.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    I usually have catalina, which is lower in calories than others, but I also use regular dressings and then just cut them with vinegar/lime.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    fishshark wrote: »
    Francl27 wrote: »

i do this too but add shallots.. and use white wine vinegar.

That sounds very tasty.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    What's wrong with Ranch?
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    White vinegar/ salt/ pepper/ garlic powder/ onion powder/ and oregano - mix and yum ! No oil is needed