Been working out for over 7 weeks and I barely see progress

Options
My husband and I have been working out for 7+ weeks 4x-5x a week for at least one hour. I usually do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical and then do a little of weight lifting for my legs and do some abs.
I have been following the calorie intake and don't go over my 1200 during the week I may go over on the weekends but not more than 200 cal.

When I started MFP I started at 138lbs then I started working out and it went up to 145lbs now I am at 143lbs, I find it hard to believe it could be muscle weight in such a short period of time then what gives?
I am starting to feel frustrated and so is my hubby. We go up and down the scale it doesn't seem to be a consistent weight I will be glad to lose 1-2 lbs a week. I am not gaining weight anymore, but I don't see it going away either.
And we do watch our sodium intake, drink lots of water, and eat nothing but chicken, rice and vegetables. what's the problem? : /

Replies

• infosynth
    infosynth Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    Rice is high-carbohydrate. Are you balancing it with fat and protein? (Your diary is private, so we can't see what your intake looks like.)
  • Tinan76
    Tinan76 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Do you have befor pics to compare to? If not you should take some.
  • PinUpMommy
    PinUpMommy Posts: 94
    Options
    1200 calories isn't enough. You need to be eating back all of your exercise calories. You also need to watch your sodium intake. And you workout should be half cardio, half weights. Not mostly cardio, and some weights. Half and half is how you will lose the most weight.
  • susyseq
    susyseq Posts: 94
    Options
    Only have about a cup each time and not everyday. It's multigrain rice
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options
    make sure your NET calories are 1200.
  • marigoldcity
    Options
    Are your clothes fitting better. Weight is relative in my opinion. If your clothes fit better, you have more energy and are generally feeling better, then you are accomplishing something great. DON'T look at the scale. You are probably putting on muscle weight.:happy:
  • susyseq
    Options
    Do you have befor pics to compare to? If not you should take some.

I don't know how to post pics but I am still a size 6 I'm only 5'3
  • teanabean
    teanabean Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    You should take pics, that way you can compare yourself. Sometimes you lose weight a little bit in different places so you may not drop a size but you may lose an inch around your waist. Try not to get discouraged.
  • susyseq
    Options
    I don't see much difference on my clothes yet. Some jeans are still a bit snug on me
  • Dootzy1
    Dootzy1 Posts: 2,211 Member
    Options
    "I don't care what you weigh......what can you do now that you couldn't do before?"

Something to think about, that I saw posed as a question from some wise MFP member that stuck in my head a few days ago. It has made the scale less important.
  • SassyStef
    SassyStef Posts: 413
    Options
    are you eating back you exercise calories, 1200 might not be enough. I would also start looking at your diet, make sure you are getting lean proteins, cutting out starches and processed foods. Get plenty of fruits and veggies and keep your sugar in check.

Oh and measuring is such a better way to gauge your progress.
  • funkyspunky871
    funkyspunky871 Posts: 1,675 Member
    Options
    In this case, you're probably not eating enough. Try eating back your exercise calories or at least bumping your intake to 1500-1600. There's no harm in experimenting a bit if you're not losing weight anyways, you know?
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    measure your self, biceps, chest, waist, thighs, etc...

Note: You can't gain muscle mass when your body is in a calorie deficit.

Check your foods, get away from processed foods, grains, etc.. Clean up your menu and cook lean foods.

Check into why you are not eating back your exercise calories (at least some of them).
  • aneisiena
    aneisiena Posts: 63
    Options
    The best fitness tips I learned were the two I's: Intervals and Intensity. Is your 45 minute elliptical workout constant? Try doing bursts of intensity for 30s every 5min. Or you can go all out with the interval setting and...yes I actually read this...it'll be like you did 90min!
  • susyseq
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories, I'm pretty much done when I hit 1200 I feel full most of the time
  • ZebraHead
    ZebraHead Posts: 15,207 Member
    Options
    I don't eat my exercise calories, I'm pretty much done when I hit 1200 I feel full most of the time

This could be a issue for you going forward... IMHO
  • KaylaShianne
    Options
    try adding high intensity interval training to your cardio. do 20 min of intervals then 10+ min of steady state cardio. This really boosts calorie and fat burning and gives you an HGH flush if you push yourself durning intervals. check out fitnessblackbook.com (i absolutely love his site). It really opened my eyes and now i actually spend less time working out but burn just as much (or more) and am starting to notice a difference in my strength and endurance!
  • susyseq
    Options
    I thought eating the exercise calories will only make it harder to lose weight
  • MissAnjy
    MissAnjy Posts: 2,480 Member
    Options

that's your problem right there. enough said.
    1200 calories is already a deficit. If you're not eating your calories back (from exercise) your body is hoarding what you do eat to keep itself fuelled. If you want to lose, eat more.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    You may need to eat more calories. I did the testing to find out what my caloric intake should be and it said 1000. My body was so hungry it was storing all the fat cause it thought I was starving myself. I wasn't trying to starve myself but the metabolic testing I did said that is what I should be taking in. I wasn't losing anything. So I increased my intake and have been doing better. I am not losing as much as I would like but I can tell a huge difference in my physic. Plus, it isn't necessarily the amount of calories you are eating. It is more what you are eating.