Wearing Fitbit in shoe during recumbent bike?

Options
My Fitbit HR doesn't pick up my steps when peddling my elliptical/bike at my desk. If I stick in my shoe or around my ankle I feel like I'm getting a crazy amount of steps. I do peddle pretty fast. I can't really swing my arms while working. Think putting it in my shoe is ok? Doesn't really push my calorie count up too much but I don't want to falsely be over on steps.

Replies

• macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    No - log the activity as an exercise instead. The algorithm for counting steps doesn't work properly if the Fitbit is on your ankle.

~Lyssa
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Why not get a cadence sensor for your bike and leave your Fitbit on your wrist? Turning the pedals isn't taking steps.
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    It's a completely different thing that you're measuring.

Why would you do that?
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    *puzzled* :|
  • CollieFit
    Options
    Do I assume correctly that we are not talking about a proper recumbent bike, but we're talking about one of these arrangements???

jl9t5ongwujd.jpg
  • CollieFit
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's neither steps/walking nor cycling. Firstly you're not weight-bearing, you're sitting! But it's nothing like cycling either. I'm at a loss what on earth you would log that as.

The only suggestion I could think of is to get a HRM, get the proper calorie burn data and create your own entry.

Edit: quoting from a study...
    "A study using a seated under-desk elliptical pedal device found overweight office workers enjoyed using it. They pedaled an average of 50 minutes per day, burning an average of 107 calories. That's the equivalent of more of a mile of walking. They had no increase in muscle or bone pain or discomfort. They had fewer missed days of work due to sickness and reported improvements in concentration on their work."

Source: Lucas J. Carr, PhD, Christoph Leonhard, Sharon Tucker, Nathan Fethke,Roberto Benzo, Fred Gerr. "Total Worker Health Intervention Increases Activity of Sedentary Workers."Preventive Medicine. Published online August 07, 2015. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.amepre.2015.06.022.

• MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    CollieFit wrote: »
    The only suggestion I could think of is to get a HRM, get the proper calorie burn data and create your own entry

HR would be too low to be meaningful

• Welcome2theHellmouth
    Welcome2theHellmouth Posts: 206 Member
    Options

Yes that is close. Mine is a little nicer. I have been trying to keep an eye on how long I do it and I think I will log is a under 2 mph walk.

CollieFit wrote: »
    Do I assume correctly that we are not talking about a proper recumbent bike, but we're talking about one of these arrangements???

jl9t5ongwujd.jpg

• Dominiquepagani
    Dominiquepagani Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I log my spin class as exercise
  • sarochka85
    sarochka85 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    It's not weight-bearing... I wouldn't log it at all, tbh.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,968 Member
    Options
    Might as well put the fitbit on your cat's collar and then use a laser pointer to make it run back and forth across the room for you.