Two-ingredient Muffins

Options
Equus5374
Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
I'm interested in trying those muffins that are made with just bananas and eggs (I plan to add some blueberries and vanilla extract); before I do I wondered if anyone has made them and how they come out. I realize they won't rise like muffins made with flour, but are they tasteless? Should I add a bit of Splenda to the mix for some sweetness (I do not like honey)?

Replies

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    I doubt they would be tasteless. I'm assuming they will taste exactly like a banana omelette. Which sounds absolutely gross to me, so I've never made any of these types of concoctions.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If I were dare such a thing I would add tigernut flour, say three quarters of a cup, just half the banana blended within an inch of its life, and a little cinnamon. The flour will add a little binding and a little fat. To make it fluffy without baking powder I'd separate three eggs and beat the whites to stiff peaks. Then fold in the rest of the ingredients (yolk, banana, cinnamon, tigernut).
  • Nicklebee93
    Nicklebee93 Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Ick... yeah i have to agree with @auddii. Would more than likely taste like a sweet egg... You can try to google some "healthy" recipes. Just maybe you'll have to eat HALF instead of a full muffin.

My grandpa makes these chocolate chip cookies that uses pumpkin instead of flour, they're really good and hits the sweet tooth... I'm sure you could find different recipes out there! Some even use apple sauce instead of eggs...
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Options
    Sweet banana omelette.

Foul.
  • fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    I doubt they would be tasteless. I'm assuming they will taste exactly like a banana omelette. Which sounds absolutely gross to me, so I've never made any of these types of concoctions.

agreed i cant. sounds yuck
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    how in the world would a banana and an egg make a muffin?
  • MinmoInk
    MinmoInk Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Hey, if anyone had tamago sushi you'd know sweet egg is delicious. What's a egg tart custard anyway :)
  • jessiefrancine
    jessiefrancine Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    MommyMeggo wrote: »

When a banana and an egg love each other very much, they eventually decide it's time to make a muffin. So they give each other a special hug, and nine months later the stork delivers a muffin. Which is promptly eaten by a human. It's a very sad cycle.
  • Equus5374
    Equus5374 Posts: 462 Member
    Options
    I saw it on one of those "Tasty" or something videos that get plastered all over FB. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has done them. Sweet anything never turned me off!
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Equus5374 wrote: »
    I saw it on one of those "Tasty" or something videos that get plastered all over FB. I just thought I'd ask if anyone has done them. Sweet anything never turned me off!

I do the pancake version and usually if the banana is overripened enough it tastes perfectly sweet. They turn out kind of custardy, though. Not sure how the muffin version works, do you add baking powder or something?

Try them without Splenda first and if you need some extra sweetness you can always smear on some marmalade later :) let us know it goes
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

When a banana and an egg love each other very much, they eventually decide it's time to make a muffin. So they give each other a special hug, and nine months later the stork delivers a muffin. Which is promptly eaten by a human. It's a very sad cycle.

:heart:
  • Becky71_cm
    Becky71_cm Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I don't see how you can do muffins with that. I love the pancakes, but it's difficult to get the consistency just right, and I have tried many ratios, at it's best it just doesn't hold together. These two ingredients seem impossible for muffins, let a lone adding another fruit. I do add cinnamon to the pancakes tho which is quite delish!
  • RMSchmidt17
    RMSchmidt17 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Don't know about the muffins, but two ingredient cookies are good- overripe banana and a 1/2 cup of oatmeal. Mash, mash, mash and bake at 350 until they firm up. Delish.
  • MommyMeggo
    MommyMeggo Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options

LMAO!
  • tmarple93
    tmarple93 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    You should make two ingredient banana cookies instead. Just mashed banana and a serving of Oats. Mix them together then bake them. There delicious. And even more so if you add a little cinnamon, vanilla extract, and Blueberries or dried coconut. And really really good if you add dark chocolate chips. Possibilities are endless.
  • debtay123
    debtay123 Posts: 1,327 Member
    Options
    Hungry girl does a recipe for two ingredient muffins using pumpkin (in the can) and devil food or angel food cake mix. It is really good you can go on you-tube and check it out. the muffins or brownies have a good texture and are not too high in calories determined by the size of your muffin.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    I would rather cut out some lunch and eat real pancakes. Bit let us know how they come out.
  • sndrd49
    sndrd49 Posts: 234 Member
    Options
    tmarple93 wrote: »
    You should make two ingredient banana cookies instead. Just mashed banana and a serving of Oats. Mix them together then bake them. There delicious. And even more so if you add a little cinnamon, vanilla extract, and Blueberries or dried coconut. And really really good if you add dark chocolate chips. Possibilities are endless.

This with an egg mixed in makes a fantastic pancake, yum! My favourite weekend brekkie.
  • MinmoInk
    Options
    Ws2016 wrote: »
    I would rather cut out some lunch and eat real pancakes. Bit let us know how they come out.

Just to add.. There's plenty of pancakes in the world. Expanding ones horizons is great
  • bently01
    bently01 Posts: 1 Member
    Options