Meal Replacement Shakes

Options
honeybee739
honeybee739 Posts: 66 Member
Meal replacement shakes yay or nay?

I just ordered Ideal Shape and even though it's really good (cookies and cream) I don't know if I have the strength to replace 1-2 meals with it every day to help with calorie reduction. Maybe if I just did it 5 days a week?

Would like feedback on pros and cons. Thank you!

Replies

• quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Nay. I prefer to eat real food. I don't feel "full" with shakes. I plan my meals, try to hit my protein goals, and stay within my calorie limits. And I don't have to pay extra $$ for shakes.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I drink a protein shake for one meal 5-6 days a week. It's just in place of solid food when im busy and don't have time to cook but is no miracle weight loss trick. CICO is still vital for weight loss.
  • deetails26
    deetails26 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I get them only to have on hand if i'm running late and can't make breakfast. This prevents me from stopping to get several donuts on the way to work, but I don't use them to purposely replace meals. I would not feel satisfied and end up bingeing.
  • faithsstaircase
    faithsstaircase Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I use protein shakes to supplement because I have a hard time meeting my protein goals. I use Premier Protein, but here are some stats on the favorites (not sure if it will format well):

Name Calories Fat Carbs Protein Sodium Protein per 100 calories (10 or better is best)
    Slimfast 190 6 25 10 210 5.26
    Premier 160 3 5 30 360 18.75
    Advantedge 100 3 3 17 430 17.00
    Special K 190 5 29 10 220 5.26
    Atkins 160 9 2 15 200 9.38
    Muscle Milk 170 7 6 20 290 11.76
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I'd rather eat food.
  • JmeJinxx
    JmeJinxx Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I like to make smoothies with protein powder. I'm using Pure Protein which has 25g protein per scoop.
    Take some leafy greens like kale or spinach, a whole banana, some frozen fruit, scoop of powder, dollop greek yogurt (plain nonfat), and chia seed.
    Blendy blendy blend.
    I have been liking adding chia seed because it has a lot of fiber to help you feel full longer. I can go 5-6 hours before feeling hungry again.
  • punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I don't really do the meal replacement shake thing, but I will do the occasional protein shake, especially on days when I'm pressed for time for cooking. I mix some whey with unsweetened soy milk and cocoa (+instant coffee if it's the morning).
  • aishlingkelter
    aishlingkelter Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend them unless they're low in sugar. You'd be better off making your own shake using coconut water/almond milk and some low sugar fruits and veg. You'll get way more nutrition that way
  • goofyrick24
    goofyrick24 Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    I drink a shake for breakfast every morning.. a scoop of Shakeology (I like the vanilla...the chocolate tastes nasty) and a scoop of whey Isolate in some coconut/almond milk.... 300 calories and it keeps me full for about 3-4 hours plus it is heavy enough I eat less throughout the day... Plus it helps me get my macros of protein.. trying to get almost 10 Grams per every 100 calories I eat throughout the day...
  • akerra27
    akerra27 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I do a whey protein isolate shake every day normally when i am at work i do use them for before dinner on days off i use them after workouts. Love them.
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    I wouldn't recommend them unless they're low in sugar. You'd be better off making your own shake using coconut water/almond milk and some low sugar fruits and veg. You'll get way more nutrition that way

Agree
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I don't like any program or product that requires me to replace actual food with some sort of drink. There are other ways to feel full and I enjoy eating actual food than drinking it.
  • honeybee739
    Options

• honeybee739
    Options
    They only have 1 gram sugar! B)
  • honeybee739
    Options
    You can also mix in any fruits and veg you like if you wish to do so. o:)
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I'd rather eat food.

This ^
  • TheTagman
    TheTagman Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Never as a meal replacement...But sometimes when I need more calories.
  • climberpilot
    climberpilot Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I really like them for breakfast. I wake pretty early and tend to skip eating often. Shakes are a fast, easy way to relieve this.
  • HealthyGinny
    HealthyGinny Posts: 821 Member
    Options
    dlboyle26 wrote: »
    I get them only to have on hand if i'm running late and can't make breakfast. This prevents me from stopping to get several donuts on the way to work, but I don't use them to purposely replace meals. I would not feel satisfied and end up bingeing.

That is probably the biggest risk - if it doesn't feel like real food, you might end up drinking that then having some real food, and the cals will add up. You might also binge. Also, why not eat real food with vitamins instead? Agreed that it might help for a quick breakfast but replacing 1 or 2 meals each day seems crazy to me. Also expensive.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    The Spiru Tein shakes are great. I actually lost a lot of weight when I was 13 because of them. I don't think I would do it again though now that in 26 because it didn't teach me much about food. I just gained it all back and then some through high school and college. I can basically get the same results without it now. I still love drinking the shakes now and then as a treat. They are pretty good in my opinion.