Polar HRM's (FT4 or FT7)

Options
I have decided to go with a Polar HRM based on the excellent reviews from MFP members along with Consumer Reports. However I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Polar FT4 of the Polar FT7. The FT7 seems to have a few more bells and whistles than the FT4, but for the most part, they seem to do pretty much the same thing.

So I'm asking you guys, which would/have you purchase(d) and why?

Replies

• mrmarius
    mrmarius Posts: 1,802 Member
    Options
    i have the ft4 and i love it, its a lil cheaper than the other and it does all the basics, counts calories, shows heart rate lets you know if youre in the zone etc i dont think you can lose with eithr though
  • Msaip
    Msaip Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I have decided to go with a Polar HRM based on the excellent reviews from MFP members along with Consumer Reports. However I am trying to decide if I should purchase the Polar FT4 of the Polar FT7. The FT7 seems to have a few more bells and whistles than the FT4, but for the most part, they seem to do pretty much the same thing.

So I'm asking you guys, which would/have you purchase(d) and why?

BUMP I am not tech savy so whatever gives me calories burned is fine. I'd like to have it keep time also!
  • LindseyC87
    LindseyC87 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Bump.. Im in the market to buy one and debating between the 2
  • Rviernow
    Rviernow Posts: 16
    Options
    I went with the FT7, but only because Sears had them on clearance a while back. I am happy with it and it works for everything I need.
  • jrueckert
    jrueckert Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Love my FT4!
  • mommyof5kids
    Options
    I have the FT4....I love it, it is comfortable to wear, tells me calories burned and how long I worked out.... and it was a little cheaper than the FT7.....
  • mirandamatte
    mirandamatte Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I got the FT4 b/c its what I need. I don't need the extra stuff the 7 has, so I went with the less expensive.
  • deniseg31
    deniseg31 Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    I was reading online reviews yesterday for the FT7 and came across a review of it on YouTube. Looks like I'll be going with this one when the time comes. It's simple but that's what I like about it...tracks time, calories and HR. :smile:

Here's the customer review off of YouTube.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0X1crKr1L2c
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    I've just bought the FT4 - it arrived this morning! It is absolutely fine; don't think I would use any extra bells and whistles.
  • uniquesoul73
    uniquesoul73 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    Thanks folks..I've ordered the FT4. Its currently $53 on Amazon.com-this should be perfect for what I need to do!
  • iSteakers
    iSteakers Posts: 45
    Options
    I got the FT4 on sale at target the other week. I don't think i'd ever need more than it does. It's perfect. Really happy I decided to get one and get that one.
  • Kelleinna
    Kelleinna Posts: 160
    Options
    I've got the FT4... It tracks time, heart rate and calories... what else do you need, really? But even aside from that it'll store the data from your last 10 workouts in case you forgot to enter something and you want to go back.
  • applebottomjeans11
    applebottomjeans11 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I have the Ft4 and love it as well. No issues or anything that I would want different
  • Gemini_1980
    Gemini_1980 Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I love my FT4!!!!! I just needed basic track calories and the time I worked out and this does the trick:bigsmile:
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I've got the FT7, and I LOVE IT! But i hear they are very similar!
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am about to buy the FT7 after researching the same thing. The biggest difference between the 2 is that the 7, unlike the 4, measures VO2 Max which (instead of using the 4's preset) is the most accurate way to determine your individual calorie burn.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    I have the Ft7 and love it! So easy to use and set up.. Plus really accurate!

@HartJames:Does the Ft7 measure Vo2 Max for sure? After reading the manuel it sounds like it does, but a lot of people are saying that only the Ft40 and up do.
  • HartJames
    HartJames Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I am still researching that is a fact but I have read that Polar models above 6 do!
  • rickpearce
    rickpearce Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Just for the benefit of anyone in Canada whose considering purchasing one of these. I just checked around online. www.treadmillfactory.ca sells the ft4m for 119.99 , canadiantire.ca for 139.99 , amazon.ca I couldn't find it but amazon.com I just ordered it and it'll be under 60 bux to my door.