Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

In my 40's it's so much harder!!!!

Anyone else struggling ?

Replies

• Panda_brat
    Panda_brat Posts: 291 Member
    edited March 2016
    I started losing at 39. I am 41 now, and down 160 pounds, and the skinniest I have bee since before puberty.
  • AnotherTry2016
    AnotherTry2016 Posts: 785 Member
    I am right there with you! It has never been easy, but it has gotten much more difficult for sure.
  • sweetyedie
    sweetyedie Posts: 104 Member
    Wait till you reach in your 60's like me. You can add me if you want to encourage each other.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    sweetyedie wrote: »
    Wait till you reach in your 60's like me. You can add me if you want to encourage each other.

Yes, although I've found it's easier now that I know that my time to get this accomplished is a lot less than when I was in my 40's. @ilndprncs Do it now! No regrets 20 years from now, right!!!
  • emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Eh, I don't know. I'm 44. Losing fairly consistently.
  • jmohun
    jmohun Posts: 15 Member
    I am 42 and it does seem harder to loose weight now. But it just will take more time. However, I wish I could recover from hangovers like I used to when I was in my 20's!
  • ritzyswish
    ritzyswish Posts: 16 Member
    Just 42, had a baby 2 and a half yrs ago. I put on 3 st in baby weight. Lost 21 pounds and now I'm stuck. Got another 14/21 pounds to lose. Been logging on fitness pal for 3 weeks and I've lost about 2lbs. It'll take ages at that rate!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,312 Member
    I'm almost 50 and it doesn't seem any harder for me. Maybe that is because I am in no rush. I eat the calories that would have me maintain at my goal weight knowing that eventually I will get there. Right now, I am losing quite consistently unless I choose to go off plan.

What particularly do you find more difficult?
  • TwinkieDong
    TwinkieDong Posts: 1,564 Member
    Yes. I workout daily and find it VERY hard.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,145 Member
    No, but I never put in any real effort before. 41-45 y/o, lost 173#.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    I was finally successful, after years of failure, in my mid-to-late 40s.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm 41...lost 40 Lbs when I was 38...I didn't find it particularly difficult but I never had to lose weight before so I have no comparison. I do think it's more difficult to be super lean the older we get, but I don't really believe it's difficult to achieve or maintain a healthy weight and BF%. When I was younger, I could easily sit at 8-10% BF no problem...I'm at 12% now and that's pretty easy to maintain, but I find it difficult to drop below that. As we age, the acceptable levels of BF increase (look at a BF% chart) so it is more difficult to achieve very low BF%...but as I said, I don't think it's difficult to achieve and maintain a healthy BF%.
    ritzyswish wrote: »
    Just 42, had a baby 2 and a half yrs ago. I put on 3 st in baby weight. Lost 21 pounds and now I'm stuck. Got another 14/21 pounds to lose. Been logging on fitness pal for 3 weeks and I've lost about 2lbs. It'll take ages at that rate!!!

As you lean out, it goes slower...this is just reality for anyone and has nothing to do with age. You don't have the fat stores available for rapid weight loss...this is just reality...and again, has nothing to do with being 42.
  • Fitme2016mfp
    Fitme2016mfp Posts: 17 Member
    Yep! I'm 41 and I have a hard time losing weight. I just joined mfp. I'm hoping now that I have support I can lose this weight. I'm a stay at home mom. I've got 30-35 lbs to lose.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited March 2016
    I'm 42 and have been maintaining for over two years. I lost about 10/15 lbs right before I turned 40. You can do it! :smile:
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    What's hard? Making a plan? Sticking to it? Exercising?
  • RoseTheWarrior
    RoseTheWarrior Posts: 2,035 Member
    I'm 47 and started this on Sept 1/15. I've lost 60 lbs. It honestly just takes persistence, patience, and a willingness to put in the work. I have no issues losing weight. Where I have issues is exercise. I have arthritis in my spine, degenerative disc disease, and hip pain. I'm keeping the makers of Tylenol in business. I'm also seeing a physiotherapist, chiropractor, and physician. Starting massage therapy as well. I want to get fit and strong, but THAT is where my struggle lies. As JeromeBarry1 said, make a plan, stick to it. The weight will come off.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    I'm 43 and gained 8 pounds in the last 13 months. Time to start cutting again. It's a tad bit harder but not really by much. Is it a pain? Yes. Yes, it is.
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    43...and I am finding it easier than in the past. I find that I do eat less as a rule...so holding to a Lowe a out is easier
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Not me. I'm 45 and maintain at a lower weight than I reached last time I lost weight, at 36. ETA as the Panda reminded me, I'm also lighter than I was in high school.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    I started at 42. I am in the best shape of my life at 43, 11.1% body fat. You can also do this.