HELP

Options
Okay so went to Dr. today, I have gained 1.2 lbs from last week. They looked at my food log and said exercise wise and nutrition wise I am doing everything right. They could not explain why I keep gaining and not losing. I do interval training 5 days a week for 30 min, average calories burnt about 200, I do squats 3 set of 10 with 5 lb weights in my hand. Due to neck injury and sx, my exercise is very limited. My weight is mostly in my mid section. My carbs average right at about 25 a day. I don't understand where this weight is coming from, I do my best to take in 1200 calories a day, sometimes I don't get there. I seem to retain water a lot, I drink a lot of lemon water, so not sure why I get swollen and retain water, I go to bathroom several times a day. I have also noticed that it seems like certain foods I eat raw spinach, certain meat, ect... take so long for my body to digest. I do not understand!!!! I am getting frustrated.

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How are you measuring food/portion sizes? If the answer is measuring cup and/or eyeballing, you are likely eating more than you think. Get a kitchen scale and weigh EVERYTHING, even prepackaged food.
  • WholeFoods4Lyfe
    WholeFoods4Lyfe Posts: 1,518 Member
    Options
    Can you open up your diary?

Also, I agree with PP. Unless you are weighing and measuring everything, you could be consuming more than you think you are.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Weight fluctuates. 1 week isn't long enough to say if something works or not
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    danna71 wrote: »
    Okay so went to Dr. today, I have gained 1.2 lbs from last week. They looked at my food log and said exercise wise and nutrition wise I am doing everything right. They could not explain why I keep gaining and not losing. I do interval training 5 days a week for 30 min, average calories burnt about 200, I do squats 3 set of 10 with 5 lb weights in my hand. Due to neck injury and sx, my exercise is very limited. My weight is mostly in my mid section. My carbs average right at about 25 a day. I don't understand where this weight is coming from, I do my best to take in 1200 calories a day, sometimes I don't get there. I seem to retain water a lot, I drink a lot of lemon water, so not sure why I get swollen and retain water, I go to bathroom several times a day. I have also noticed that it seems like certain foods I eat raw spinach, certain meat, ect... take so long for my body to digest. I do not understand!!!! I am getting frustrated.

First, a body can naturally fluctuate in weight 5-7 or more lbs in any given day. So it's very important to look at trends over a 4-6 week or longer period of time. Second, based on the type of food and combinations of food, they will all digest at different rates. Its just have the body works.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    First, I agree with the other posters. It's possible you're eating more than you think. It's important to weigh your food as it gives you a more accurate calorie count than measuring. 200 calories a day in exercise isn't a lot. Try adding in a jog around the neighborhood for 10-15 minutes a day... I would suggest aiming for 300 calories a day for exercise.
  • danna71
    danna71 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of having digital sent to me, it should arrive Tuesday. As for exercise, I am limited right now, I do 30 min treadmill, sprint as fast as i can for 30 sec and walk incline 4 min and repeat, I am sure I burn more, cause I do 3 set squats with weights and I added little more strength training today. How do I log things that I can't find with search, like I had Subway Rotessire chicken 6 in, no bread but its not there, I see all other sorts of Subway 6 in, but not the one I had. I so really appreciate your feed back, I get frustrated but when I see feed back, it makes me want work even harder. The scales will be big help.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    I am in the process of having digital sent to me, it should arrive Tuesday. As for exercise, I am limited right now, I do 30 min treadmill, sprint as fast as i can for 30 sec and walk incline 4 min and repeat, I am sure I burn more, cause I do 3 set squats with weights and I added little more strength training today. How do I log things that I can't find with search, like I had Subway Rotessire chicken 6 in, no bread but its not there, I see all other sorts of Subway 6 in, but not the one I had. I so really appreciate your feed back, I get frustrated but when I see feed back, it makes me want work even harder. The scales will be big help.

The Subway website should have a tool that lets you calculate the calories in your specific order. You can then use that to build a custom entry on this website ("My Foods") that will let you log it today (and if you order it again in the future).
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Eating more than you think, or didn't poop that day.
  • ZeroDelta
    ZeroDelta Posts: 242 Member
    Options
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options

I just look up each individual component and create a meal.
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Have you had your thyroid checked? Just another angle and something to rule out. Otherwise I agree with other posters weigh and record every mouthful and be honest