Anyone with Crohns trying to lose weight?

Options
Hey! New here. Recently diagnosed with Crohns but I really need to lose about 100 lbs. My diet is pretty restrictive in general with having the Crohns. I'm afraid I'll be stuck varying my proteins with green beans as my side as most of the green veggies I like are forbidden for me.

I guess I'm just wondering if you have any tips or advice to get me started.

Thanks!

Replies

• daniellel76
    daniellel76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Hi there! I was just diagnosed with Crohns in August, so I'm learning how to navigate this disease, live healthy and lose weight too. Before I was diagnosed, I lost about 40 lbs using MFP, then I got real sick, was hospitalized twice and lost about 20 lbs in a month. Once we figured out what was going on and I got on medication, I did gain a bit of that weight back but have been fairly stable over the last few months.

Ultimately I would love to lose about 20 more pounds, but I'm taking it slow. I'm doing Remicade infusions every 8 weeks and it has gotten the Crohns under control. What medications are you on and how do you feel? It's a tricky disease, that is for sure!! As far as food, I've been able to eat most things - except some veggies (onions and peppers) seem to have some adverse affects. Take it slow, add foods gradually if you feel comfortable trying to get a bit more variety. Salads were not good to me at first, but are totally fine now. Good luck!!
  • aerrianna
    aerrianna Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have colitis but luckily no foods affect me.
  • nicholsa34
    nicholsa34 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Thanks daniellel. I'm on pentasa. Doc told me to stay away from leafy greens, but told me I can have salad as long as I'm drinking tons of water. I tried salad and it doesn't seem to work very well, but I can try it again.
  • TheLittleFangs
    TheLittleFangs Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    Hi there please feel free to add me. I'm in the duagnosus phase after 10 years of suffering. My first calprotectin test came in high I'm awaiting retest. I gad a sigmoidoscopy flexible and a failed colonoscopy due to pain. I'm very afraid. it's interesting because I've put lots of weight on they were adamant I didn't gave bowel disease but the symptoms and tests are saying I do. I have 50lb to go
  • daniellel76
    daniellel76 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Crohns is not the same for everyone, so there will be some trial and error. Definitely stick with foods that you know are safe for awhile, then you can try adding more once things have settled down. I was pretty upset and read lots of worst case scenarios online after being diagnosed, but treatments are getting better. Keep in touch with your GI doc (hopefully you have a good one) so that you can get on a treatment plan that works for you and hopefully allows you to live an active life. Let me know if you have any questions!
  • nicholsa34
    Options
    Thanks you guys. Demo man, yeah boring is the truth.

I'm new to MFP so idk how to add people or whatever. And little fangs your post is wayyyy over my head. Sorry. I legit just got the diagnosis and I'm not really sure I understand what it all means yet.

With that said, yeah, I looked at worst case scenarios. I freaked out. I stopped looking and quit freaking out. Some days i spiral but I just try to give myself positive self talk and deal with it.

Not sure where to even start to lose weight.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I have Crohn's. I am not trying to lose weight though. The list of foods I can eat is much shorter than what I can eat. I'm on Remicade every 6 weeks. I ignored symptoms forever and was basically on my death bed when diagnosed.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Hi there please feel free to add me. I'm in the dueeagnosus phase after 10 years of suffering. My first calprotectin test came in high I'm awaiting retest. I gad a sigmoidoscopy flexible and a failed colonoscopy due to pain. I'm very afraid. it's interesting because I've put lots of weight on they were adamant I didn't gave bowel disease but the symptoms and tests are saying I do. I have 50lb to go

@TheLittleFangs they didn't give you sedation during your colonoscopy?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    @demo_man are you a lifting crohnie? I am. I used to be stronger prediagnosis but the fatigue is horrible and since I was basically bed ridden (other than running to the bathroom) for 10 months I had to completely restart :( I'm in month 6. Ugh and I have some lovely fistulas that complicate things.

You are right about doctors knowing nothing about diet. I am chronically anaemic and my GI told me to eat red meat and spinach. Ouch! No thank you! I went to a dietician and she was awesome.
  • TheLittleFangs
    Options
    Hi there please feel free to add me. I'm in the dueeagnosus phase after 10 years of suffering. My first calprotectin test came in high I'm awaiting retest. I gad a sigmoidoscopy flexible and a failed colonoscopy due to pain. I'm very afraid. it's interesting because I've put lots of weight on they were adamant I didn't gave bowel disease but the symptoms and tests are saying I do. I have 50lb to go

Hiya, I have a few health conditions and I also live alone. So you have to have someone 24 hours after if sedated and I didn't dare to say I had someone as if I fell I'll I couldn't get help - I was offered no sedation or anything for the failed colonoscopy, for the flexibile sigmoidoscopy I had Entonox - it did nothing I was crying. I'm praying for the future tests I'm offered the capsule camera but I don't know if that's available in the UK. The nurses were absolutely wonderful even half way through offered to cannula me and sedate I just at that period in my life couldn't be.

They did say that when I came back if I had to have any more camera tests I HAD to be sedated as they were not comfortable at all.
  • TheLittleFangs
    Options
    nicholsa34 wrote: »
    Thanks you guys. Demo man, yeah boring is the truth.

I'm new to MFP so idk how to add people or whatever. And little fangs your post is wayyyy over my head. Sorry. I legit just got the diagnosis and I'm not really sure I understand what it all means yet.

With that said, yeah, I looked at worst case scenarios. I freaked out. I stopped looking and quit freaking out. Some days i spiral but I just try to give myself positive self talk and deal with it.

Not sure where to even start to lose weight.

Sorry hun. I can see you've had some great advice (that I've also noted) I didn't want to scare you off. Just take it a day at a time and take things steady. My surgeon told me specifically what's going on so I guess maybe that's why I know all the tests etc, but I know maybe some don't. I hope you get on the road to good health soon.
  • nicholsa34
    Options
    @TheLittleFangs it's okay. You don't have to apologize. I just don't understand all that medical stuff. Lol
  • nikkii231
    nikkii231 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Iv recently been diagnosed with ulcerative colitis, in hospital at the mo major flare up! Also very restricted in what i eat as certain foods actually hurt traveling through my digestive system. Iv lost a bit of weight not for the right reasons but just wanted to offer support and that your not alone.
  • singingflutelady
    Options

Hiya, I have a few health conditions and I also live alone. So you have to have someone 24 hours after if sedated and I didn't dare to say I had someone as if I fell I'll I couldn't get help - I was offered no sedation or anything for the failed colonoscopy, for the flexibile sigmoidoscopy I had Entonox - it did nothing I was crying. I'm praying for the future tests I'm offered the capsule camera but I don't know if that's available in the UK. The nurses were absolutely wonderful even half way through offered to cannula me and sedate I just at that period in my life couldn't be.

They did say that when I came back if I had to have any more camera tests I HAD to be sedated as they were not comfortable at all.

I think they have the camera pill in the UK. I think I have seen some people on fb UK groups mention it.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Getting my Remicade on Tuesday. I can't wait. I definitely need it
  • nicholsa34
    Options
    @nikkii231 support to you too! I remember losing weight when I was hospitalized last year. Around 7-8 lbs or so I think, in about 2-3 days. Can't really remember but I know what you're going through. Lots of hugs and good thoughts!

Thanks everyone for your posts. To lose weight, I guess I just maybe need to try low carb diet and eat a lot of green beans and maybe asparagus with my proteins. Get myself on a multivitamin. Start walking or using the elliptical. Does that sound okay?
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Can you handle green beans and asparagus? Veggies are tough :( your exercise sounds good. I found running or anything high impact (anything that imvolves jumping) hard and it jars my intestines causing pain.
  • nicholsa34
    Options
    I can definitely handle green beans. I read somewhere online that you can have the tender tops of asparagus as long as you don't go down too far into the fibrous bottom. It seemed okay when I tried it. Obviously your results may vary - there don't seem to be many hard and fast dietary rules for each patient. It seems to be a lot of trial and error determining what works individually.

Yes. Low impact workouts for sure. I don't think I can handle anything that makes my stomach/abdomen bounce around too much.
  • singingflutelady
    Options
    Good idea! Also I don't do any direct ab work either. I only lift at the moment as my exhaustion is horrible and I have no appetite/pain after I eat so I can't do any major calorie burn activity. The exhaustion is bad enough with lifting (I only do Mon-weds-fri) and my rest days are actually nap and watch my android box all day.
  • nicholsa34
    Options
    Oooooooh. I hadn't thought about factoring in rest days for the fatigue. I'll have to remember that! :)