Ok to eat less than calorie goal?

Options
My daily calorie goal is over 2800 a day, I adjusted it to 2600 a day just because. I still think 2600 is excessive, I'm slowly losing weight and so I know it's not really excessive for my weight. However, I don't feel like I really need to eat this much food daily.

Is it okay to go under or even well under, are there any negative effects?

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,030 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It kind of depends. Are you trying to lose a lot of weight (so, you are over weight by quite a lot) or are you just really active?
  • Snrussell09
    Snrussell09 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Yes, very overweight so I'm trying to lose quite a bit.
  • cmriverside
    edited March 2016
    Options
    The more you have to lose, the higher a deficit you can safely have. Do you have a doctor you can talk with to set you up with a plan and a Dietician? Without knowing your weight, your height, your gender, your daily regular activity and your plan for exercise, none of us can really help you a whole lot.

If you have significant fat, your body has a source of energy. So you just need to pick a number and try to stick with it (calories eaten.) Try to get a variety of healthy foods and keep a good food log. I would imagine you could go below 2800 safely, probably even below 2000, but see a doctor. How far below you can/should go depends on a lot of factors. A consistent intake and accurate logging of food over a period of time is what you need.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    Thanks! Yeah I've been doing 1800-2200 just depending on the meals. I did 1800 today and ate plenty and wasn't hungry much. Sometimes I hit my goal but only when I eat something "bad" or go out to eat somewhere. My fitness pal will usually warn you if you go too low as well.

I'm at 399 and I'm 6'4. Male. I walk 30 mins to an hour every day and will continue to increase it. I use a Fitbit to hit step goals and all that. I plan to start lifting soon once I move (more space).
  • cmriverside
    Options
    Well, I'd say continue doing what you're doing. If you stay between 2000-2500 you should be able to drop a lot of weight fairly quickly - which is exactly what you want. Can you get to a Registered Dietician for a food plan? Obviously this is the perfect time to learn to meet your nutrition needs - while you still have room for error. The closer you get to a healthy weight, the more important that is going to be.

Welcome to the site! There are plenty of people with a lot of weight to lose, and plenty who have lost a lot of weight. Good for you for taking the reins.
  • Snrussell09
    Options
    Thanks for the response! Yeah I've totally overhauled my eating habits. I've lost over 50 pounds so far, another 2 this week. Right now it's pretty easy since my limit is so high but Its gonna get harder the lower it gets!

Do you mean specific nutrition needs for me or in general? I hadn't thought about going to dietician. Although I did see one years ago while I was in high school.