Do squats really work???

Options
Do they ??? I wanna start doing some everyday but I don't know how many to do a day to get results. I also wanted to try one of those squat challenges they post online. And if anyone has any before and after pics feel free to post !

Replies

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Well what is your goal?
  • sestrada103189
    sestrada103189 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    A better butt lol. Just need to get some lift
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Hell yes.
  • arditarose
    Options

Squat challenges are BS. Sorry. I'm cranky and don't feel like sugar coating it.

Squatting in a deficit, while you're trying to lose weight, will help your butt look better as you get toward goal.

If you want a great butt, just google Strong Curves. Do that program. Bret Contreras is the Glute Guy. I got good results doing lifts from his program.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Do squats with a barbell and weights instead of a 30 day squat challenge
  • lisawinning4losing
    lisawinning4losing Posts: 726 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I actually completed a 30 day squat challenge several months ago, and it didn't do anything except give me back and leg pain. Not that squats are bad, but, yeah. Idk what's up with those supposed "before and after" pictures. I think I quit a few days early because of being in pain from too much repetitive motion (really? 5,000 in a row?), but if it worked, I should have been seeing some change by then.
  • arditarose
    Options
    I actually completed a 30 day squat challenge several months ago, and it didn't do anything except give me back and leg pain. Not that squats are bad, but, yeah. Idk what's up with those supposed "before and after" pictures.

Thank you for posting! That is actually one of the cons of those challenges, especially if you're new to body weight training, improper form can cause pain/injury.

Not that squatting with weight can't either, but at least if you do it properly you'll actually get "results" and not just the ability to do more squats.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    It's possible that I wasn't really doing it right, but at any rate, I prefer yoga. And I have a bit of a lower back condition that complicates things.
  • lisawinning4losing
    Options
    I'm probably destined to never have a perfect butt, and I'll probably be OK with that.
  • arditarose
    Options
    It's possible that I wasn't really doing it right, but at any rate, I prefer yoga. And I have a bit of a lower back condition that complicates things.

Yeah, I wasn't trying to poke a finger at you. I was just stating that is one reason why the squat challenges aren't recommended.
  • sunnybeaches105
    sunnybeaches105 Posts: 2,831 Member
    Options
    arditarose wrote: »

Squat challenges are BS. Sorry. I'm cranky and don't feel like sugar coating it.

Squatting in a deficit, while you're trying to lose weight, will help your butt look better as you get toward goal.

If you want a great butt, just google Strong Curves. Do that program. Bret Contreras is the Glute Guy. I got good results doing lifts from his program.

+1
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Don't forget lunges and Bulgarian split squats! If you want to add muscle and size you to your legs and glutes you'll have to be in a surplus then to remove the fat go into a deficit. Do barbel squats rather than body weight. They're more for endurance than actually developing muscles.
  • dwolfe1985
    dwolfe1985 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I actually completed a 30 day squat challenge several months ago, and it didn't do anything except give me back and leg pain. Not that squats are bad, but, yeah. Idk what's up with those supposed "before and after" pictures. I think I quit a few days early because of being in pain from too much repetitive motion (really? 5,000 in a row?), but if it worked, I should have been seeing some change by then.

It seems quite silly to do countless unweighted squats when you can just do lower reps of weighted ones, you will get better results from the latter. There are a few women at my gym that do weighted squats/split squats and it seems to be working well for them.