Metabolism Blues!

Options
sauntryk
sauntryk Posts: 19 Member
Okay so I did lose 4 inches off my body in the last month but why the heck aren't my scaled budging? Jillian Michaels Shed 20 lbs in 30 days; BOGUS, that's not to say I haven't lost 4 inches but lbs...no. So frustrating! I've always been small (and very short 5') this extra 35 lbs I added is killing my knees, back and hips......my metabolism must be messed because it has never taken me this long to lose weight but I've never gained this much weight.....being 35 can suck! At 30 years old I was sooo thin.....what the heck happened in 5 short years.... I could gain 10 lbs and lose it in such a short amount of time....
Going from a size 3 to a size 12 is very depressing, I've been dedicated to MFP since mid May and exercising regularly and have only lost 4 lbs in total; none lately...I know it's my metabolism and it's going to kick in someday soon, but it's so discouraging. Oh and for those reading and thinking; SIZE 12, wth....when you're 5' tall size 12 does NOT look good! Why couldn't I be just 5 inches taller?

Replies

• icerose137
    icerose137 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Are you doing any strength training?
  • Hernandezedw
    Hernandezedw Posts: 284
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the scale right now. Focus on those inches.
  • lisapickering
    Options
    Everybody gets upset when they lose inches but not lbs... this doesn't make sense. Everybody sees the inches, only you see the lbs! Obviously your clothing size is important to you, since you mentioned it, this is only going to change if you lose inches.

If you lose inches it's only a matter of time until you lose the weight. Just keep going and it will happen
  • sauntryk
    sauntryk Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    In the Jillian Michaels DVD I bought, I use daily; It's in full 20 minutes of ; 3 minutes strength-2 minutes cardio-1 minute abs over and over...but I also walk 30 minutes to an hour a day; and I have an eliptical glider which I use 20 minutes a few times a week.... :(
  • Minnie_Moo
    Minnie_Moo Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Okay so I did lose 4 inches off my body in the last month but why the heck aren't my scaled budging? Jillian Michaels Shed 20 lbs in 30 days; BOGUS, that's not to say I haven't lost 4 inches but lbs...no. So frustrating! I've always been small (and very short 5') this extra 35 lbs I added is killing my knees, back and hips......my metabolism must be messed because it has never taken me this long to lose weight but I've never gained this much weight.....being 35 can suck! At 30 years old I was sooo thin.....what the heck happened in 5 short years.... I could gain 10 lbs and lose it in such a short amount of time....
    Going from a size 3 to a size 12 is very depressing, I've been dedicated to MFP since mid May and exercising regularly and have only lost 4 lbs in total; none lately...I know it's my metabolism and it's going to kick in someday soon, but it's so discouraging. Oh and for those reading and thinking; SIZE 12, wth....when you're 5' tall size 12 does NOT look good! Why couldn't I be just 5 inches taller?

I'm in the same boat ! Been following MFP since beginning of Jan. and using the threadmill at least 5 days a week since the end of Jan. and lost some inches but the scale is going up and down with the same few pounds..........So frustrating :sad:
  • GameOn2011
    GameOn2011 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    Just turned 36. Yes, it is harder. I have lost 10 of 25 I want to loose and am stuck at the moment. I am taking a good hard look at my diet.
  • fitniknik
    fitniknik Posts: 713 Member
    Options
    Funny story... I just measured myself today... Its been almost exactly 2 months since the last time. I have only lost 4 lbs in this time... but I have lost 8 inches !I was so happy about those inches! You keep the tape measure moving the scale will eventually move! Hang in there, you are doing great!
  • slimothy89
    slimothy89 Posts: 61
    Options
    I have the same problem, and I know that I am healthy! I am working on my metabolism as well. I am trying to join the army, and want to lose 4 inches! I wish I were you as far as that goes! Great work! Some people don't lose anything for a long time. Another thing is that if you've gained weight at a rapid pace you should make sure your healthy. No fibroids or anything, because they can cause your weight gain to come on fast. Some women experience lack of estrogen around 35 plus, and sometimes before. I'd say may sure that your all good there. If you think that you are...then I say don't sweat it. Be patient your losing inches which some women want to lose, but they can't and can only lose weight. It will come off soon.

You can also do light strength training to help tone your thighs and butt up. I was a size 12 last month. I am 5'3. Its coming off slowly. I put on my work out clothes, and I feel some difference!

Please don't give up! Keep up your good work!!!
  • AronP
    AronP Posts: 4
    Options
    You gotta understand that, in only one month, 4 inches is a VICTORY. Don't take too much stock into the scale -- it's not accounting for how much of that is fat, and how much is muscle. If you lost 4 inches and remain the same weight, that means you lost 4 inches of fat and built muscle to replace it. Not to mention water weight and dozens of other variables.

Long story short: keep at it. Don't look at Jillian Michaels and think she's a role model, with her personal trainers and frequent gym access. Do it your own way. It took me a full year, but I lost 45 pounds. I was frustrated that I wasn't losing fast enough at the beginning, but with enough exercise and eating right (not to mention PATIENCE), I'm healthier and happier.
  • DavisKaren
    DavisKaren Posts: 13
    Options
    As we age it does get a lot harder. Hang in there as I feel shorter women are luckier because weight gain is noticable a lot sooner than when you are taller. I am 6'1" and believe me, when weight gain becomes noticable I have been 40 lbs. over and more. So don't see being shorter as a problem. I started having weight issues after 34 years of age and I am proof that you will always have to move more and practice portion control along with making smarter food choices.

Start writing down everything you put into your mouth and drink lots of water before you eat and you will find that sometimes we are more thristy than hungry. And by the way, I am trying to get back into my size 12!

Karen