My weight loss seems very slow?

Options
I started this end of December start of Jan and compared to others its been slow, very slow. I never had any of the newbie weightloss benefits. I know of some who have lost double of what I have at this stage and without the 1500 cal restriction I have. There is no way I am over eating as I weigh and count all solids going in my mouth. I've lost what 20 lbs / 9.5kg, for 3 months in is this not very slow progress?

Replies

• Noeediddntt
    Noeediddntt Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    20lbs in 12weeks is good! 1.6lbs per week average is normal and healthy. Everyone loses weight differently but you know for sure what you're doing is working cause you're losing 1.6lbs per week
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    Im on my second go around at losing weight and from my experience some months you will lose more than others. I dont know why but im sure its because the body is weird. 20lbs in 3 months is a little slow to me since im getting 10-15 a month but i am also working out like no other! Like 15 hours a week of exercising! My second go around is taking me a lot longer to lose weight then the first time where i lost 100 lbs in like 7-8 months but i was also doing it way more unhealthy than i am now. Just stick with it and understand its not a race and it will take time.
  • Gioeyebrow
    Gioeyebrow Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I kno a couple people here whove lost way way! les than that in longer time i say you doing an awsome jon man
  • ldowdesw
    ldowdesw Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Hi, I started Dec 28th and have lost 18lbs. I'm getting frustrated at the moment but there's no way I'm going to stop!
  • katej37
    katej37 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Hell I've lost 20lbs since september so you are doing well! Slow and steady is better x
  • grizlii
    grizlii Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    as long as u are losing u shouldn't worry . we all are different:)
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    No, it's not very slow progress. I wish I could lose that fast.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    dave_in_ni wrote: »
    I started this end of December start of Jan and compared to others its been slow, very slow. I never had any of the newbie weightloss benefits. I know of some who have lost double of what I have at this stage and without the 1500 cal restriction I have. There is no way I am over eating as I weigh and count all solids going in my mouth. I've lost what 20 lbs / 9.5kg, for 3 months in is this not very slow progress?

Lesson learned: Don't compare yourself to others. But if you do, at least do it right. People who are very overweight, will lose more, faster, even on higher calorie allowances. This isn't a competition. You have to do you, and take care of yourself. Up to 1% of your bodyweight per week is considered healthy and realistic.
  • 4leighbee
    4leighbee Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    No, it's not very slow progress. I wish I could lose that fast.

+1
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    That's fast. I lost about that much in the same time. Then it took me the rest of the year to lose 12 more. What's the rush? It took you a long time to gain it so why expect to lose it in a big hurry?
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    I think you have very unrealistic expectations...to be bitching and moaning about losing over 1.5 Lbs per week is pretty ridiculous. That's not slow...it's pretty fast as far as weight loss goes. Stop watching "reality" t.v. and get your expectations in line with actual reality.
  • shrcpr
    shrcpr Posts: 885 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    It's taken me 7 months to lose 20. I'm within 10 pounds of goal, though. 5'4", 46, 1300 calorie goal + exercise (and that's at a loss rate of 0.5 pounds/week so I really can't go any lower). My calorie goal is low enough that it's going to be slow and I have to be super consistent. I figure it's going to take me till mid-July to lose the rest. I have moments of discouragement as well but hey, time passes anyway. Might as well be closer to your goal than further away.

Edited to change "farther" to "further" - is that right?? Geesh, that one gets me every time.
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,012 Member
    Options
    It has taken me 6.5 months to lose 38 pounds. Slow is the best way to lose weight. Your weight loss doesn't seem too slow to me. Try not to compare yourself to others. As long as you losing you are doing it right.
  • ForeverSunshine09
    ForeverSunshine09 Posts: 966 Member
    Options
    1.6 lbs a week is amazing. Stop comparing yourself to Ppl. I have had weeks where I have lost 3-4 lbs and weeks where I lost nothing. Everyone is different. Keep your eyes on your own test so to speak and do the best you can.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think you have very unrealistic expectations...to be bitching and moaning about losing over 1.5 Lbs per week is pretty ridiculous. That's not slow...it's pretty fast as far as weight loss goes. Stop watching "reality" t.v. and get your expectations in line with actual reality.

This!
  • dave_in_ni
    dave_in_ni Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice.
  • WendyLaubach
    WendyLaubach Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Well, I think you're doing great. The very fast loss rates usually are in people who were quite large to start with, and maybe that's not you. Also, I didn't think you were "bitching and moaning"--just expressing frustration over whether you were missing out on something that lots of other people report. Be glad you're not one of the many people who post here in confusion because they've been doing the same thing for months and not losing any weight at all. You've clearly found a winning formula, so stick to it and good luck! You must already be feeling and looking lots better.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    only really heavy people lose lots and lots of weight. 1-2 lbs a week is a healthy rate.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    Last summer/fall, my neighbor lost 30 pounds in about six weeks and has gained most of it back already. Slow is sustainable.
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Amen!