Too fat to bathe a baby

Options
Last night I found out that I'm too fat to give my 7 month old baby a bath. He graduated from the sink to the tub and apparently leaning over to do his bath was too much for my lower back. As I tapped out so my wife could finish up it struck me that what's wrong with my back is probably the result of what's wrong with my front. That got me thinking about all the other things that my extra 80 or so pounds would stop me from doing. I thought about the diabetes and heart disease that run in my family. I thought about the fact that I'm already 40 and I need to live until I'm at least 100 to spend time with my son.

Like a lot of people, I've tried to lose weight countless times and each time has been fruitless - literally; I ate no fruit. I also literally lost no weight, but I did learn from the attempts. One of the biggest lessons is that it's nearly impossible to do this alone. Which is what brings me here. I've never joined a message board before or been a part of an online community, but I'm hoping to connect with people in the same boat. I'm looking to find people to help with motivation and encouragement. I'm looking for people to help me remember it's not just about what I lose, but also what I gain. Any takers?

Replies

• KrystalErin0429
    KrystalErin0429 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    You've made the first step! Congrats! Let's do this together!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Mfp is great... it works if you work with it. Good luck!
  • BunnyBomb
    BunnyBomb Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    Sometimes it's the simplest task that leads to an epiphany. Well done for signing up and taking the first step.

I've found that being accountable to others, even on the Internet, helps a lot! Real life family and friends often don't give you the honest truth, because they want to save your feelings...or they perhaps have their own weight issues that they don't want to talk about, or have you draw attention to. So as much as we love them, real life family and friends don't always make the best weight loss support group.

I've also found that being connected with a bunch of people who are motivated and share the same goals is hugely important to making long term, sustainable lifestyle changes.

Best of luck on your journey :)
  • runbabarun
    runbabarun Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    You can do it. Get back in shape so you can keep up with him when he starts running around. I'm a father of two and sort of in the same boat. Feel free to add.
  • caeliumspecto
    caeliumspecto Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hey! I'm 25 and have a young daughter. (She's five, and adopted as of 4 months ago.) I have never been truly overweight, but diabetes also runs in my family and I've struggled with hypoglycemia and depression related to my diet. For me, eating well is also so much more than what I lost.

I would love to support you through this!
  • juggernautsmummy
    juggernautsmummy Posts: 6 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Well done.
    I have 140 lbs to lose. My fat stops me from doing lots of things. Losing a stone since I started has already helped the pressure on my knees and being able to move round.

I saw a quote that I now have on my fridge.

Losing weight is hard,
    Being fat is hard.
    Choose your hard

Good luck. I have stopped all sugar and white carbs. No bread, no potatoes only wholegrain. I fill half my plate with green. Lots of protein

PS I'm 1974 born. Age has a lot to do with it.

Friend me and we can egg each other on
  • jackie_van_d
    jackie_van_d Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Welcome,
    I joined a week ago and have found many supportive people here.
    You will learn a lot about the right way/stuff to eat and how to get exercise into your day. Work the program and it WILL work for you
    Feel free to add me to your friends list,