I'm still gaining weight

Options
I have been following the calorie limit and I haven't been over, except maybe by a few calories, and I'm still gaining weight. I want to be at least 190, but I'm now almost 280. Is there anything that can increase metabolism that is cheap and good that is proven to work? Anything you suggest is highly appreciated.
I work at two fast food jobs, also.

Replies

• emmaprocopiou
    emmaprocopiou Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Everyone will be asking this but are you weighing all your foods in a scale grams or oz's? Logging correctly i.e choosing the correct entries?

What are your stats? What is your daily goal?
    Check the above things first.

Supplements won't help you lose weight, there's is no such thing that works for a quick fix and you're deluding yourself if you think otherwise.
  • bjaneb
    bjaneb Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I tried adding a protein shake once for a week and gained weight even when I counted it in my overall calories. Is your food diary open? Maybe someone can make suggesyions.
  • lauralou93a
    lauralou93a Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Having breakfast helps kick start the body
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    Having breakfast helps kick start the body

No it doesn't; meal timing is irrelevant for weight loss and your metabolism.

bjaneb wrote: »
    I tried adding a protein shake once for a week and gained weight even when I counted it in my overall calories.

I'm not sure what this means, but protein shakes don't cause weight gain.

OP, how long have you been at this? If you're gaining weight it's because you're eating more calories than you burn in a day. Period. Nothing that "boosts" the metabolism exists. Like others have said, it comes down to logging. Are you weighing your food? What is your calorie allowance? Opening your diary would help people with experience spot where the issues may lie. We're happy to help.
  • AmyWininger
    AmyWininger Posts: 150 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Definitely take into consideration how long you've been sticking with your calorie goal. If it's just been a couple or days, or even weeks, then you need to give it a little more time. If after a few more weeks nothing changes, make sure you are weighing/measuring everything. Calories add up. Measure condiments, drinks, even some medications have calories. Also, you said you've gone over your calorie goal occasionally by only a few calories. How many is a few? If it's more than 100 or so, and you are miscalculating your calories to begin with, then it may be much more than a few. And if none of this applies to your situation, and you have been at this for more than a few weeks, and do measure and log everything accurately, then possibly you have a medical problem like hypothyroidism, or PCOS?