My Boyfriend is a God.

Options
And I obviously am not. Does anyone have that significant other that is way ahead in the fitness game? It makes me feel a little insecure and I was wondering if anyone else out there has the same problem. And how do you deal with it if you're on the path to being more fit? Does it make it harder to find motivation? I know it makes me think "man, I can't ever look like that, they're too good for me."

Replies

• goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    My husband is the same. In some ways it makes it easier. If I suggest we go for a walk or a bike ride together, his answer is always yes. He believes in the importance of fitness and so supports me in my efforts (will takeover tasks so I can go exercise). Now is it annoying/demotivating at times that it's not a struggle for him the way it is for me? Yes. But overall, I view it as an advantage.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend/husband was a high school athlete and ran quite a bit in college. I was always heavier than him and struggling with my weight while he could eat whatever he wanted and didn't seem to gain. Fast forward... after college he became less active and the weight just kept coming on. His gym going is not consistent and his eating habits never changed. I am now the fitter one simply because I always had to work at it. See it as an advantage.
  • RosemaryBronte
    RosemaryBronte Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    And there's something so wonderful about you that he has chosen you so feel that inner glow of confidence. If you get a healthier body that will complement that unique quality that he likes so much but the essential you is already deliciously attractive to him so use that good feeling to motivate yourself to choose healthy food and exercise for you both so that you have many healthy years together.
  • LazSommer
    LazSommer Posts: 1,851 Member
    Options
    Christian or Hindu?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    LazSommer wrote: »
    Christian or Hindu?

Maybe Norse?
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Before I was married I had this vegan, straight edge, karate master boyfriend that was a God. It was great to look at and touch, but then he'd talk. Why couldn't he just be a handsome mute? Anyway, my response was always something like...We can solve this with a cheeseburger and beer. It was doomed to failure.

Now I'm happily married 8 years to a man who's hips have grown with mine, is funny and smart, and never turns down a cheeseburger and beer. I do like a man that isn't ashamed to put on pregnancy weight when I do.

I would try and get out of the mindset that you aren't good enough. Obviously, you are bringing something he likes to the table even if it isn't a cheeseburger and beer. I've got no issues with losing weight for someone else provided that person is the total package and not just a handsome idiot.

Good Luck.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    X7w2XeN.gif
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is a God and he thinks I'm his Goddess! We love each other like crazy through thick & thin. I'm sure your man feels the same way, you just need to believe it :)
  • Jpinpoint
    Jpinpoint Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend is 6'7 180 lbs. His fitness is his, I don't look at his progress and compare it to mine. I tell him when I think he looks good. He's proud of my result, he was proud when I had no results.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Some people go with people who are insecure about their looks or someone they think they look better than, because one it makes them feel superior and two they feel like the person wouldn't dare leave them because they are so much more fit or better looking. I say if your relationship is healthy, then just use his love for fitness to develop your own. Maybe him being able to share something he's passionate with you will bring you closer.
  • CollieFit
    CollieFit Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    My future husband (getting married in October) is a fell runner and endurance cyclist. He has won races, done back-to-back mountain marathons (the OMM), and 7 day mountain bike races that start in Germany and end in Italy. I think it's great. We train together a lot. But I also do some of my own things like my strength training and sometimes we do stuff we're both a bit rubbish at like play squash. I never thought of his fitness as a negative thing. When I lost my fitness and gained weight after my parents died, he was and is my biggest motivator. We did a thirty mile bike ride yesterday and I would have never worked that hard on my own. I love it.
  • drumbum764
    drumbum764 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I've been married happily for over 17 years. Fitness is a personal journey for everyone. YOU are your only competition! Do it for you and no one else. Don't rely upon others for support or aproval. Set goals and destroy them! :)