Looking for support

Options
Hi, my names Debra I'm a very shy person but I recently started going to the gym I like it but I find myself nervous of all the machines and weights. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me :)

Replies

• Felicia0120
    Felicia0120 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    A big thing that I keep in mind, because I feel the same way, is that every body has started some where! Everyone knows how it feels and other people at the gym- whether they are with friends of not - are there to work out so they really aren't judging you. Hope this helps :)
  • RaDonna51
    RaDonna51 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi Debra, the gym should have staff there who can show you the correct way to use the machines. Just ask. They may even have personal trainers who will work with you one on one to achieve your goals; you may be able to get so many sessions for a flat fee. Your self-confidence will increase once you learn how to use the machines! Also, does your gym offer any fitness classes?
  • monicaale38
    monicaale38 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    What I do, I look up on pintrest for work outs before I get to the gym ,I know what to do!
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    The gym is not my comfort zone either .. I don't go to the gym I do my workouts at home I follow YouTube workouts (Zuzka light has me sweating way more than any machine I've ever been on ) having said that if I did go to the gym a workout buddy would help and also being honest most people in the gym don't know what they are doing either so just remember we are all on the same boat ;)
  • purplemama28
    purplemama28 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Thank you all I appreciate it. I met with a trainer but it really was out of my price range. I would have loved it but just can't as of now... Funny was first day I went I ask the girl how to turn a machine thankfully she was really nice :)
  • RunawayCurves
    RunawayCurves Posts: 688 Member
    Options
    I hate gyms too, I joined my local one the other day though , first time I have been in gym since last summer. I worked my way through 4 different personal trainers last year. It did not really help me because they were not used to people my size. The good thing about gyms is that people seem to mind their own business. No one has ever given me hassle in a gym. There are usually some helpful staff around too.
  • djspacecaptain
    djspacecaptain Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    The machines at my gym have information on them for how to use it and the muscle zones they target. If they don't or you don't feel comfortable using it and dont want to ask someone how to use it, write the name of the machine down and you can look up online how to use it. Youtube would even have videos of people using it. And dont worry about others at the gym they are busy doing there own workout, i know i am :wink: