Super nervous about getting a trainer

Options
ghouli
ghouli Posts: 207 Member
I'm a member at Anytime Fitness, and want to start lifting. A while ago I had started Stronglifts but I wasn't confident in my form and didn't continue with it after getting sick for a couple weeks (and tbh I didn't love the program).

I'm thinking about getting a trainer to show me around the free weights section at the gym and proper form, but I'm really nervous about it because:

a) I just want them to show me form and stuff, not to be a continuous trainer for me and idk if trainers find that offensive if you're like "nah just this time please"
b) the best time for me to get to the gym is at night, like around 9pm and I don't know if they'll even do a session that late. I'd have to ask but yeah.
c) I don't know how much trainers charge typically? Again, something I'd have to ask, but another factor contributing to my nervousness lol.

So if you could tell me what your experience with a trainer was like, esp if you only had one to get form down and to show you the ropes...that'd be the absolute bees knees.

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    All those questions simply require you to ask at least he membership desk. :)

My first trainer was through my gym. I scheduled her once a month for six months. Before that I took advantage of the offers most gyms have when you join to show you how to use the equipment. And I learned how to use free weights by taking fitness classes
  • ghouli
    Options
    All those questions simply require you to ask at least he membership desk. :)

I know, I just want to hear from other people on here first. I know I'll have to go in there anyway but hearing other people's experiences before I gallop in there helps calm the nerves lol.
  • Erik8484
    Erik8484 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Trainers have also sorts of clients, both long term and short term. I think you should just flag the kind of client you plan to be, although be prepared for the trainer to try to upsell you.

Your last 2 questions will vary hugely. My trainer doesnt like to do anything after 8pm or so, and I'm in Australia so the price i pay wont be representative :)
  • jesse1952
    jesse1952 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Why not start with some YouTube videos or books first. Then if you feel after that you still need a trainer, hire one that specializes in novice lifters.
  • cgvet37
    cgvet37 Posts: 1,189 Member
    Options
    I workout at Anytime Fitness. The ones in Indiana use an agency called UBF for personal training. I won a free session, and wound up signing up for a year. It's $96 a month for one session a week. It's money well spent in my opinion. I started lifting in High School, up into my late twenties. Yet, I have gained a ton of knowledge, and my trainer worked with me on my nutrition. So, you are getting nutrition support, along with exercise support.
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    I'm a trainer, have been for 10 years. No, a trainer won't be offended, just let them know up front, first thing, that you want their help in setting up a workout out program. You're going to need more than one session most likely.

1st meeting: A consultation so they can assess where you are currently, find out your goals, and come up with an appropriate and realistic plan.
    2nd meeting: Ask them to take you through 3 separate full body circuits which will give you a variety of solid workouts rather than just a list of of all the exercises you can possibly do in the weight room, leaving you without a plan. Write down everything--name of exercise, cues so you can remember how to do it on you own later, set, reps, and weights.
    3rd session: On your own, do those 3 workouts each once a week for 2 months increasing your weights as needed. At this point, meet again to reevaluate where you are and to have them give you new, harder circuits to help you continue to progress.
    4th session and beyond: meet up again every couple months for new ideas and accountability.
  • ghouli
    Options
    IGbnat24 wrote: »
    I'm a trainer, have been for 10 years. No, a trainer won't be offended, just let them know up front, first thing, that you want their help in setting up a workout out program. You're going to need more than one session most likely.

1st meeting: A consultation so they can assess where you are currently, find out your goals, and come up with an appropriate and realistic plan.
    2nd meeting: Ask them to take you through 3 separate full body circuits which will give you a variety of solid workouts rather than just a list of of all the exercises you can possibly do in the weight room, leaving you without a plan. Write down everything--name of exercise, cues so you can remember how to do it on you own later, set, reps, and weights.
    3rd session: On your own, do those 3 workouts each once a week for 2 months increasing your weights as needed. At this point, meet again to reevaluate where you are and to have them give you new, harder circuits to help you continue to progress.
    4th session and beyond: meet up again every couple months for new ideas and accountability.

Thank you so much, this is super helpful!
  • ghouli
    Options
    Thanks for your answers, gave me a little more insight to how the whole thing works and made me not so nervous :)
  • misfits_shotgun
    misfits_shotgun Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    There's a app called workout and it's great it will show you all different kinds of workouts for different muscle groups with videos to see correct form just start with light weight and work your way up slowly you can also track your progress it's the best free app I have found I have been using it since January it's working great for me the last time I was in a gym was in the late 80s due to work check it out