Leftover Rice uses

Options
guinevere96
guinevere96 Posts: 1,445 Member
I got Chinese food last night and once again am left with the terrible, terrible burden of having boxes of leftover rice I need to use up :p I make homemade fried rice a lot with leftovers but I want some new ideas!

Replies

• Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    Well, I was going to say "fried rice." So I'm all out of ideas!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,150 Member
    Options
    Rice and red kidney beans or chili beans.You can add a sunny-side-up egg on top if you wish.
    Add the rice to soups or stews, chili and/or meatloaf.
    Saute vegetables of your choice (spinach, arugula, kale, mushrooms, zucchini, etc) in olive oil and add the rice and cut up chicken or shrimp.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    Options
    I know this might sound weird, but when I was little my great-grandma used to make us bowls of hot white rice with cinnamon, sugar and milk poured over it... Kinda like a breakfast cereal.
  • Mapalicious
    Mapalicious Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Just sautee up some salmon with a nice miso soy sauce, and then serve it over the rice. Asparagus or green beans on the side.
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,523 Member
    Options
    If it's just plain white rice, put it in a pan with a little spaghetti sauce and some spices. You can add some corn too if you want. It's like ghetto spanish rice.
  • augustremulous
    augustremulous Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Indians reheat leftover white rice and eat it with salt and plain yogurt.

If you want to be a bit more serious, you can make doddojanam, which is a dish with lots of spices. Let me know if you want a recipe.

• NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Yes to sweet rice!
    Milk, sugar and cinnamon - add raisins if you want
  • mjwarbeck
    mjwarbeck Posts: 699 Member
    Options
    I know this might sound weird, but when I was little my great-grandma used to make us bowls of hot white rice with cinnamon, sugar and milk poured over it... Kinda like a breakfast cereal.

That's the start of a nice rice pudding.....
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options

I love it.

I like making stuffed peppers with mine.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I make a baked rice pudding with left over brown rice. It's really yummy and makes a nice breakfast.

Ingredients
    2 cups (approx.) leftover cooked brown rice
    2 large eggs
    500ml (2 cups) milk of your choice
    85g (¼ cup) approx. sweetener of your choice (raw honey, rice malt syrup or maple syrup)
    Zest of one lemon, finely grated (optional)
    1 teaspoon of cinnamon, ground (optional)
    ½ teaspoon cardamon seeds. ground (optional)
    ½ teaspoon of ginger powder (optional)
    ¼ teaspoon of grated fresh turmeric (optional)
    Handful of almond flakes (or any nut of choice)
    Fresh fruit, to bake on top (apple, rhubarb, pear, stone fruit, banana, berries) I generally use bananas and strawberries.

Method
    Preheat your oven to 200℃.
    Grease a small baking dish well and add the leftover brown rice.
    In a blender (or by hand with a whisk and muscle) combine the eggs, milk, sweetener, zest and spices.
    Pour over the rice, top with almonds (or any other nuts you like) and fruit.
    Bake for 20 minutes or until set (like a custard)
    Enjoy hot out of the oven with full-fat natural yoghurt or cultured sour cream.
  • chastity0921
    chastity0921 Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    Add an egg, seasonings, and saute to make rice cakes? Add to omelette with beans in the morning? Add to your smoothies? Make a stir fry? Make a casserole? Make a rice pizza crust?
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage Posts: 2,668 Member
    Options

Mu hubby still eats his rice this way. Must be a German thing
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I've had the cinnamon, sugar, rice and cold milk as a kid too.
    actual rice pudding
    burrito bowl
    put it in a wrap with chicken and vegetables or black beans
    rice salad
    have it with eggs... put an omelet on top
    broccoli cheddar rice casserole
    Look on Pinterest for rice ideas.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Another vote for rice pudding. Put rice in a pot. Add enough milk to cover. Stir in 1/4 cup raisins and 1/4 cup sugar. Simmer until thickened. Add a teaspoon of vanilla.
  • guinevere96
    Options
    Make a rice pizza crust?

Is this a thing??

• FlaCntryGrl
    FlaCntryGrl Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Don't knock it till you try it....Add rice, 1 can of cream of mushroom soup, corn, and meat of choice. Add a splash of milk and tablespoon of butter, salt and pepper to taste.....one pot meal my kids LOVE!
  • MissMonicaC4
    MissMonicaC4 Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Hands down my fave way is mash avocado in it.. Cut up scallions.. A squeeze of lime.. Salt and pepper. Yum!!!
  • guinevere96
    Options
    Hands down my fave way is mash avocado in it.. Cut up scallions.. A squeeze of lime.. Salt and pepper. Yum!!!

This sounds super interesting.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    With milk and sugar. Nom.