Struggling today. I just want junk!

Options
I'm having a hard time today because I'm craving everything that isn't good for me! I just want to eat out of stress and I know I shouldn't! Although I haven't a succumb to the craving I just don't trust myself right now! Ugh sucks

Replies

• PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    Find a low-cal alternative to the craving! When I want ice cream, I go for Halo Top's mint chip... 240 calories for the entire pint. Is actually quite creamy, too.
  • Ninkyou
    Ninkyou Posts: 6,666 Member
    Options
    Have you tried fitting the foods you're craving into your calorie goal?

My motto is moderation, not deprivation.

Also, why are those foods not good for you? Do you have a food sensitivity or allergy to them? If not, no foods are inherently bad for you. Practicing moderation of said foods may be what you need. I find sustainability successful.
  • dkomadin
    dkomadin Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    We've all been there. Try eating something that will take you longer to eat. Shelled pistachios, sip soup, coffee topped off with coolwhip, broccoli slaw, deviled eggs. Fake.mousse, two packages of Instant sugar free pudding any flavor, use 1/2 cup less milk than called for, mix well and add container of Coolwhip. Mix well and enjoy some. If you slip up, just get right back on track.
  • julie2038
    julie2038 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    bunnye20 wrote: »
    I'm having a hard time today because I'm craving everything that isn't good for me! I just want to eat out of stress and I know I shouldn't! Although I haven't a succumb to the craving I just don't trust myself right now! Ugh sucks

I understand. I found myself in the line at a fast food drive through today. I was wanting that supersize meal like to old days when I drowned my stress in food. I was next to order when I realized what I was doing and why I was. I drove away! It was a sweet victory! Now what I was stressed about is still there. I came home worked out and prayed. Tonight I'm still sad about what caused the stress, bottom line I can't change what is going on, but I don't have the guilt I would have, by eating that food ,which would have depressed me more. I know people will say, don't label food as bad, and just make room in your daily calories, which I am all for, but I will NOT allow myself to eat those foods for the reason I wanted to today. That's the difference for me and that my friend is HUGE growth for me. I hope you find it too! Good luck.
  • hkmonge
    hkmonge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I am right there with you!!! Had a very bad morning that just set my mood for the rest of the day and wanting to stress eat. Trying to be mindful of this feeling so I can better manage it when it happens again. You're not alone! :)
  • bunnye20
    bunnye20 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks Julie! That was helpful :)
  • hamelle2
    hamelle2 Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    PixelPuff wrote: »
    Find a low-cal alternative to the craving! When I want ice cream, I go for Halo Top's mint chip... 240 calories for the entire pint. Is actually quite creamy, too.

I have to look for this in the grocery store! :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    julie2038 wrote: »

I understand. I found myself in the line at a fast food drive through today. I was wanting that supersize meal like to old days when I drowned my stress in food. I was next to order when I realized what I was doing and why I was. I drove away! It was a sweet victory! Now what I was stressed about is still there. I came home worked out and prayed. Tonight I'm still sad about what caused the stress, bottom line I can't change what is going on, but I don't have the guilt I would have, by eating that food ,which would have depressed me more. I know people will say, don't label food as bad, and just make room in your daily calories, which I am all for, but I will NOT allow myself to eat those foods for the reason I wanted to today. That's the difference for me and that my friend is HUGE growth for me. I hope you find it too! Good luck.

lol... i think i would have at least ordered a coffee... I'd feel weird just cruising past the pickup window...
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options

@bunnye20 most of us know the feeling. :( When trying to learn how to manage my joint and muscle pain by diet i cut out sugar and all forms of grains and it worked very well in just 30 days.

The one side effect was/is after two weeks my physical cravings just started to fade and were gone by four weeks. A year and a half later I sometimes get a mental craving but because there is no physical cravings they are not a problem.

It was so bad before that 2 am in the morning I wanted to drive and get a Pepsi because I removed them from the house. That lack of self control drove me crazy.

Having been craving free for 1.5 years is awesome for this old man. Hope you find what food(s) is your cravings trigger.
  • Isabelle_1929
    Isabelle_1929 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    julie2038 wrote: »

Oh that is great. It is so true.
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    I find that everything I look at is evaluated on how it is going to place fat on my gut. Been there, done that. Just the thought of the impact is enough for me to pass on the chocolate cupcake with whip cream frosting.
  • amanda000002014
    amanda000002014 Posts: 73 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

I am just getting over the hump of sweets. I work in a nursing home where candy is everywhere, Omg, the cruelty.! Anyways, my favorite sweet is the Mountain Dew. I drank 3-4 20 oz a day and water was just there when I brushed my teeth,showered, or my favorite thing to do swimming. Anyways I decided I wanted to stop drinking it and it wasn't easy; at first anyway. Here is what I did. I decided (mind over matter) that I would drink at least one water a day ( yummy, not really). And I did this and I found my self over the last week drinking two three waters a day and one can of Mountain Dew a day. Here is the funny part, the taste of Mountain Dew is so sweet I can't stand it anymore and the candy at work, well,even the thought of the taste of sugar doesn't sound good to me either. I am on day two with out it, and I don't feel bad about it all. I am surprised about this finding, because I didn't think this would ever be possible. To top this off I don't even crave chips or fast food because soda always went together with my food choices. I put two and two together, water made me hate sweets. I still have a long ways to go when it comes to healthy eating, but water has become my best friend when it comes to the end of the day. I do however drink black coffee for a pick me up.
    I was using sweets for self medication. Getting up and walking my puppy helped me to relieve some emotional baggage. I focus on her by training her everyday. What I am saying is if you can find something you really like to occupy your mind even for ten minutes a day( that is how I started) while using a mindfulness exercise. I do this during my daily activity when it comes to mind (you can google this). I hope this helps. I want a good life and I want those around me to do so as well. The Mountain Dew problem I had was taking the time away from me. I no longer shake my fist at it now, I grab my water and know that I have over come this devil that lured me into a trap of self defeat. I hope this helps, this is a nightmare that one day you will wake up from; I know this because I finally did.