Gained 5 pounds in just 3 days...Urk!

Options
I know this is a topic that comes up very often. Still I'm interested in some input about this.
For three days, I indulged a bit too much. It was my birthday, my family was coming over (I live in a different country than them) so yes. Lots of restaurant foods, cake and chocolate. I'm not sorry, it was good stuff.

However, what I am sorry about is the reading on the scale. 5 pounds heavier than before the weekend. Sure, that happens a lot to me. Even one day of indulgence does that to me. No biggy. I know my body and its weight patterns because I weigh daily. I usually am up for 2 days after the big food day, then go down quickly again.

However, not this time. The scale has been stuck at 5 pounds heavier, and has not moved, even though its been 4 days later now. It has me worried as it appears that this time, for some odd reason, I really gained 2kg of fat instead of most of it being water that quickly drops.

And yes, I am fully aware that would take about 17000 calories -extra- to gain. And yes, I am aware that is near impossible in three days. But still....the scale is not lying. I checked it for batteries and everything, but it still gives the same number.

So, after this long story, my question is what your experiences are. Have you ever had stubborn water weight that didn't start to shift until half a week later? Should I accept my fate and go back to dieting?

Replies

• Jacob1020
    Jacob1020 Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale in the trash & stop stressing yourself, Just keep moving forward!
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    As you know, it will be predominantly water weight and since water retention is not only influenced by increased food, salt, or carbohydrates there are other factors which may be leading to extended retention.

Exercise, stress, hormonal changes due to menstrual cycle or other, alcohol, high temperatures, air travel can also play havoc with water retention.

But, you also have the "in transit" food to consider and finally the inherent variations of your daily weighings (Domestic scales are just not very precise).

But also, it's entirely possible that you put on some fat. I know that over 3 days of over indulgence I could pack away enough to put on 1lb, possibly more.
    So, after this long story, my question is what your experiences are. Have you ever had stubborn water weight that didn't start to shift until half a week later?

It usually takes me a week or so to return to normal weight after a holiday, less for a single day of indulgence.
    Should I accept my fate and go back to dieting?

What else can you do other than get back on plan?
  • Hawtcookies
    Hawtcookies Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Throw your scale in the trash & stop stressing yourself, Just keep moving forward!

As much as taking frustrations out on an inanimate object is a very legitimate way of coping, I'd rather keep my scale as it has served me well enough.
    But also, it's entirely possible that you put on some fat. I know that over 3 days of over indulgence I could pack away enough to put on 1lb, possibly more.

Ah yes, I also figured a pound or two would happen. But 5 is a bit excessive...

Problem is, what should my plan be? I've been maintaining for a while now. So should I go back to that, or regard the 2kg as gained weight and go back to cutting calories? Mind you, I'm very short, so 2kg is quite a lot for me.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I'd go back to maintenance for a couple of weeks at least. If my weight was still elevated after that I'd consider a very mild calorie reduction (200 cals drop maybe) for a couple of weeks.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Funny you should post this. I have been going through something similar lately. It's not uncommon. Sometimes you can lose the water weight in a day, other times it takes a while longer. I have been yoyoing up and down the same 3 pounds for the past 2 weeks. I continued to do what I'm doing regardless. Yesterday the scale decided to go down 6 pounds at once! I know it was the result of sticking to it for 2 weeks despite not seeing change. The last two weeks have been pretty stressful. We had people staying over and I had to juggle that and a work project that was more challenging than usual. I had to prepare (and eat) food that caters to our guests, so that's one more thing I needed to juggle while attempting to stay within my calories.

bqx42e953ov2.png

Long story short, stress (both mental and physical) has the tendency of causing your body to hold onto water for prolonged periods of time (read up on the effect of cortisol on weight). Don't add to it by freaking out about the scale. It's entirely possible you are still stressing out about the 3 days you were overeating. If you are still doing everything right, chances are you will see a change soon, even if it's not immediate. The reason people "break through a plateau" by increasing their calories or eating at planned maintenance (keyword is planned, overeating can be stressful and full of guilt, planned maintenance is not) is because they experience less stress when their calories are more relaxed, effectively eliminating one of the stressors. Try that for a while if your water weight doesn't go down within a week.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    Thanks for the replies, guys.
    I've already been eating very carefully after the weekend. I was thinking that would help, plus loads of water would at least cause some sort of shift. Alas, so far it hasn't shifted one bit. It's very unusual for me, and apparently also unusual according to other posts I read about holidays/binges. Weight should start to disappear within a few days. Hmmm....

Amusedmonkey, you could be onto something. I have been stressed due to an analysis and a poster that needed to be done for a conference I'm attending next week. I will definitely check the effects of cortisol on weight. I knew stress was a factor in weight gain due to it potentially changing eating habits. I had no idea it could cause water retention too.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    Just thought I'd give a small update: Two days later, and I didn't lose anything. In fact, I gained half a pound....
    I don't know if I should be worried now. I haven't been this heavy in over a year, and never has any retention stuck around for this long. My usual pattern is up for a day or two after a large food day, then it rapidly goes down again.

It's been close to a week now and my weight seems to go up. I have been eating at a 500 cal deficit, so I should be losing weight, both water and fat. But it's just not happening. I had no idea just 3 days of overeating could do so much damage.

• chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    I think this video will help you, it surely helped me
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BciVmzOouZY
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    Thank you for that video.
    It just made me more puzzled, though. I've been chugging down 2-3 liters of water every day after that weekend. I also cut down on sodium majorly. So according to that video, I should shed the water weight quickly. It also makes clear that it can't be fat. There is no way I overate enough for 5 pounds. Yet, it is still there 6 days later. Also, I'm male, so it can't be hormone related either. I checked my scale with a reading from another scale, and they gave the same answer. ....Something doesn't add up here, and it frustrates me that I can't figure it out.
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Be a little patient & realistic, if you're on a 500cal deficit that means it'd take 1 full week to lose just 1lb so be careful not to have unrealistic expectations. It'll all come good in the end if you're being honest with your food logging, portion sizes & exercise. Think more long term rather than fretting over this little hump on the graph.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    I try to be. It's just very hard. I have a bit of an analytical mind, so when something new happens, I want to know why. It's now almost a week since I ate a lot, and yet no pounds have been lost. If I knew it would come off, I'd be fine. But so far, it's not doing anything at all. Not even losing one pound after a cheat day is very atypical for me. After christmas, indulging for two whole weeks, I was weighing less and lost the weight quicker than after this weekend. Maybe my deficit shocked my body too much (i'm eating 1200cal a day)? Argh, I hate mysteries.
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options

As much as taking frustrations out on an inanimate object is a very legitimate way of coping, I'd rather keep my scale as it has served me well enough.

Ah yes, I also figured a pound or two would happen. But 5 is a bit excessive...

Problem is, what should my plan be? I've been maintaining for a while now. So should I go back to that, or regard the 2kg as gained weight and go back to cutting calories? Mind you, I'm very short, so 2kg is quite a lot for me.

Your deficit didn't shock your body into gaining five pounds, the restaurants, cakes etc did that...(Although to me, 1200 is way too low for anyone, unless you're not working out at all)
    Your plan should be start at the beginning again. Begin logging faithfully again, and be accountable to yourself. Holidays and special days will happen forever, once you learn to have discipline on those days as well as non holiday days, you'll see you will stop gaining again. That doesn't mean don't have cake, just don't eat ALL the cake. I'm 5'2, 46 years old...I eat about 1500-1900 calories a day, but I make a point of working out at least 5 days a week.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Unless you ate 17,500 extra calories over and above your maintenance, then no, you did not gain 5 lbs. It is mostly water weight, and probably your over-indulgences were high in sodium or starches, which will cause water retention.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    I should clarify that before that weekend, I was eating at maintenance, which is about 1800 for me. I know events happen. They never were a problem for me. Like I stated in a previous post, Christmas happened where I ate too much for two weeks. I gained a little, and it came off quickly. But now just three days have got me beat. 1200 is low, yes. I'm short, but I'm a guy and active. I just wanted to get rid of the extra weight, you know. Doesn't seem to work.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    You would still have to have eaten 5800 calories over 1800 ((((A DAY)))) to gain 5 lbs. Its water retention because you shocked your system... as i've said, too much sodium, or too much starchy carbs.
  • chism21
    chism21 Posts: 155 Member
    Options
    Thank you for that video.
    It just made me more puzzled, though. I've been chugging down 2-3 liters of water every day after that weekend. I also cut down on sodium majorly. So according to that video, I should shed the water weight quickly. It also makes clear that it can't be fat. There is no way I overate enough for 5 pounds. Yet, it is still there 6 days later. Also, I'm male, so it can't be hormone related either. I checked my scale with a reading from another scale, and they gave the same answer. ....Something doesn't add up here, and it frustrates me that I can't figure it out.

I understand your concerns about the weight you might have or not gain. It's understandable but I would recommend the following for you. If you are really committed to lose weight for good know that this kind of things will happen more often than you like and its part of life. Forget about the scale for the following two weeks and focus on staying on track as much as you can. Log your meals and workouts as desire. Past two week you still haven't see a change consult with a physician. But I'm pretty sure you wont need to. best of luck on your journey.
  • kmfeig87
    kmfeig87 Posts: 1,990 Member
    Options
    Several weekends ago, I ate two cookies 75 calories each. Gained 2 lbs. In frustration the next day I ate two more cookies. Gained 2 more lbs. Took about 8 days to go back to pre-cookie weight! In the meantime I got hungry one day, misread the servings on the bag of pork rinds and ate 3 servings rather than one. 300 cals of pork rinds--but I lost weight that day! Go figure. Don't stress. It will come off. (But probably a bad idea to eat more cookies in frustration!)
    Best of luck. I feel your pain!
  • JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    Options
    kmfeig87 wrote: »
    Several weekends ago, I ate two cookies 75 calories each. Gained 2 lbs. In frustration the next day I ate two more cookies. Gained 2 more lbs. Took about 8 days to go back to pre-cookie weight! In the meantime I got hungry one day, misread the servings on the bag of pork rinds and ate 3 servings rather than one. 300 cals of pork rinds--but I lost weight that day! Go figure. Don't stress. It will come off. (But probably a bad idea to eat more cookies in frustration!)
    Best of luck. I feel your pain!

LOL...you don't really believe you gained two pounds from two 75 calorie cookies, do you?

Guys, weightloss isn't exact....won't happen in one day, three days, or even weeks for some....some weeks you'll lose, other weeks you'll stay the same, and some weeks, you'll even gain. LINEAR weight loss is not. Be patient, STOP weighing yourself so often, and stay on track. You'll be ok xo
  • Marilyn0924
    Marilyn0924 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Sometimes water weight hangs around longer than we'd like. Keep in mind that aside from the indulgence of a few days with added sodium etc, you also can take into consideration your hormonal cycle and stress levels. (My horrormones put me through 2 weeks a month with a 5 - 6 pound water weight bloat, and then woosh, it's gone.)

Try to allow your "analytical" mind to calm down and continue to do what has worked for you in past and the bloat will dissapate, it just might not happen as soon as you'd like.
  • Hawtcookies
    Options
    2lbs from a cookie? Wow...that's crazy. Are you sure it was the cookie causing it?

Thanks, guys. I'll try to calm down some. But damn, this is frustrating. I still dont know why things are so different this time from other times. It even looks like my weight is going to be even more up tomorrow. It's not hormones...I'm a guy. I'm starting to think my scale was off for months, and this may be my true weight all along? I dont know anymore.