How often should you re-calculate your calorie goals?

Options
MFP put me at 1350 a day to lose 2 lbs a week. This morning, I'm .8 lbs away from my 1st goal weight of losing 25 lbs, and I re-calculated and it dropped me down to 1290 calories. I'm just curious how often I should be doing this. I'm getting closer and closer to 1200 calories. :( Thanks.

Replies

• benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    When you set your profile to lose 2lbs/week you're going to see those big drops in daily calorie limit. I have mine set up to .5lb/week. I'm given a higher calorie goal so I don't feel so empty. I just want to slowly get used to the idea of eating less to feel full relative to how I used to eat when I steadily gaining.
  • vismal
    vismal Posts: 2,463 Member
    Options
    How much weight are you from your final goal? 2 lbs a week is fine if you have lots left to lose but is probably too aggressive if you are within 50 or so lbs...
  • phoenixx866
    phoenixx866 Posts: 173 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    vismal wrote: »
    How much weight are you from your final goal? 2 lbs a week is fine if you have lots left to lose but is probably too aggressive if you are within 50 or so lbs...

I'm about 116 lbs from my goal. Starting at 275, want to be 135.

I'm also 5'2". I read the forums a lot and I really don't want to eat at 1200, I think I'm going to starve. But at the same time, I've been doing so well. Kind of a double edge sword.
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    I actually recalculate mine each week if I lose weight. I usually lose 2lb a week and when I recalculate it usually drops my total by 10 calories. May be overkill, but that's what I do.
  • benzieboxx
    benzieboxx Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Cynsonya wrote: »
    I actually recalculate mine each week if I lose weight. I usually lose 2lb a week and when I recalculate it usually drops my total by 10 calories. May be overkill, but that's what I do.

I was going to ask about the goal and how often I should be adjusting. I've lost 10lbs so far and thought that MFP would update automatically but it hasn't. Thanks for unintentionally answering my question. :D
  • annaelisam
    annaelisam Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    From what I've read you should eat your weight x 10 calorie so I think drop 100 calories for every 10 lbs of weight loss?
  • Cynsonya
    Cynsonya Posts: 668 Member
    Options
    benzieboxx wrote: »
    Cynsonya wrote: »

I was going to ask about the goal and how often I should be adjusting. I've lost 10lbs so far and thought that MFP would update automatically but it hasn't. Thanks for unintentionally answering my question. :D

Glad I could help ;)
  • dredremeg
    dredremeg Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Every 10 lbs. loss, then recalculate.