Giving it another try...

Options
I've been a member for quite a while now but have not used myfitness pal in a couple years. I had lost about fifty pounds then decided to move out of my parents house, went to nursing school, got married, and gained custody of two step children - all within the past two to three years. I completely threw all of the good habits I had created out of the window during these past couple years and gained back almost 40 of the 50 pounds that I had lost. I'm here now trying to start over and create healthy habits that I can stick to. Living in south east Louisiana makes it incredibly easy to give in to high calorie foods considering great food is everywhere you turn. Pre packaged portion controlled meals have become super popular here but I just can't justify spending 80 dollars a week for just me and for only five days worth of meals. I was wondering if anyone here is familiar with preparing your own calorie restricted meals for the week. The kind that you make all in one day and then freeze or store for later in the week. Thanks for your help!

Replies

• jzdelona
    jzdelona Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm a nursing student and am working as a CNA through school, I travel to different nursing homes and do hospital work. Nursing can be so hard sometimes I find myself indulging in treats at work because I feel like I've deserved it! I thought I would get more fit in this profession and I'm just fatter with added back pain!!
  • ZazuN
    ZazuN Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Hi melissab84. Are you cooking for a family of 4? I like to use recipes that indicate nutritional info such as servings, portions, calories, fiber. I use more herbs and spices, less added fat and cheese, less meat, more veggies and grains. Suggest taking out healthier cookbooks from library.
    Personally, I really like Ellie Krieger, Quinoa Revolution, Oh She Glows (no nutritional info but everything is so healthy and delicious), Anna & Greta Podleski, and sometimes Sandi Richard. These same people and many others would also have recipes online.
    And all these foods are great for serving the family. They can eat what you eat. I'll make a soup or casserole and divide out some portions for myself. I like to make a batch of quinoa, brown rice, beans, steel cut oats,etc. that I can use throughout the week, such as in wraps, soups. Mixing oats and yoghurt the night before, with frozen or fresh fruit, good! Am also eating some simple and quick to throw together foods. Like portion of cottage cheese and portion of no-added sugar canned pineapple (or fresh). Yumm! Or tortilla wrap, tuna, celery, little bit of mayo, herbs.
    I say no to prepackaged foods. My money can stretch further to buy healthier foods, non-addictive non-processed foods. Even though I am slow in the kitchen. No to prepackaged foods because we have to learn what is healthy, how to portion, how to cut back or out sugars, real and fake, and fake foods. If we learn and practice as we go, we can make it on our own. Ooh, didn't mean to make this so long. Good luck! You can do it.