What has MENTALLY changed in you ?

Options
Untilproud11
Untilproud11 Posts: 297 Member
Hello all !
We always hear about how the body has changed , but how about mentally?
Which changes have you experienced with weight loss ?

Replies

• mdrichardsons
    mdrichardsons Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Great topic. I'm realizing how mentally I beat myself up a lot. I had a weird thought the other day that stopped me in my tracks. I was talking to someone and was thinking to myself " well they're not going to take me seriously because I'm fat." Then I was like "wait I'm not fat anymore" then it hit me how weird it is to think that no one should take me seriously because of my weight anyway. I had never consciously realized I have been thinking this for years until I now have the weight off. What a horrible thing to be saying to myself subconsciously. The biggest thing that hit me was I would never think that about anyone else so why did I think that about myself?
  • dramaqueen45
    dramaqueen45 Posts: 1,009 Member
    Options
    I think I'm a lot more patient with the whole process. I used to want it fast and then would give up quickly if I had a set back. I just met my goal and it took me a little over a year and a half, which is fine. I have made small changes along the way so none of it felt overwhelming.
  • Mentali
    Mentali Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    I've managed to reset how I feel about portions. I used to feel that I was depriving myself if I didn't have a serving of pasta more than twice as big as a normal one. Now I look at the proper serving size as an appropriate amount - which makes me hopeful that when I'm ready to maintain I'll be able to without too much trouble!
  • lmhbuss
    lmhbuss Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I think the biggest mental change I've had to undergo happened before I really started to see any lasting success. I had to accept myself and care about myself exactly as I was. After that, taking care of myself became a lot easier. Now I'm not trying to achieve some socially acceptable/magazine appropriate appearance but simply to take care of me to the best of my ability. When I have a bad day, I don't need to abuse myself with mountains of junk food...because "what does it matter I'm crap anyways." Weirdly it was one phrase that put everything into perspective and gave me that "aha" moment. "It's not your job to be pretty. Pretty isn't something that you owe anyone." It was an oddly freeing thought.
  • Montepulciano
    Montepulciano Posts: 845 Member
    Options
    While I am not at goal, maybe a third of the way there, I was just talking to someone about what has changed mentally. I am kinder to myself. That voice in my head that was so judgmental and expecting perfection 100% of the time has softened. The goal is perfection but the reality is as long as I am at 90-95% I am going to reach my goals. It may take a bit longer, but if it means I get there rather than give up, I am so in for that.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    While I am not at goal, maybe a third of the way there, I was just talking to someone about what has changed mentally. I am kinder to myself. That voice in my head that was so judgmental and expecting perfection 100% of the time has softened. The goal is perfection but the reality is as long as I am at 90-95% I am going to reach my goals. It may take a bit longer, but if it means I get there rather than give up, I am so in for that.

SO much truth in that. Perfectionism can be such a harsh mistress
  • becca_rup23
    becca_rup23 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    The biggest thing for me has been realizing that I have to actually change my behavior, and that if I keep making the same choices I've been making, I'll stay the same weight. It seems simple but it's been hard! Also I've realized that the way I think about food, exercise, and my body is more positive than it has been in the past!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    I'm FIERCE.

But then....I've always been fierce. So maybe that hasn't changed at all. ;)
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have embraced a couple of great quotes.

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

So I try not to be so perfect in everything that I do. Hey, reality happens when you are busy making plans!
    I think there is PERFECTION in IMPERFECTION. My scars tell my story, and what an epic saga it is. I am proud of my journey in this. It's also something I shall never END. To forage in the kitchen and find a meal that is satisfying, and healthy, makes me feel powerful.

The most important ingredient in food preparation is my MOOD!

So I love the chopping, the gathering, the saute'ing and layering flavors in a pan. It's all about patience, and letting flavors marry in the pan. My Betty Crocker Momma didn't teach me that, I DID.

• wonna13
    wonna13 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Annr wrote: »
    I have embraced a couple of great quotes.

Maybe the journey isn't so much about becoming anything. Maybe it's unbecoming everything that isn't you, so you can be who you were meant to be in the first place.

So I try not to be so perfect in everything that I do. Hey, reality happens when you are busy making plans!
    I think there is PERFECTION in IMPERFECTION. My scars tell my story, and what an epic saga it is. I am proud of my journey in this. It's also something I shall never END. To forage in the kitchen and find a meal that is satisfying, and healthy, makes me feel powerful.

The most important ingredient in food preparation is my MOOD!

So I love the chopping, the gathering, the saute'ing and layering flavors in a pan. It's all about patience, and letting flavors marry in the pan. My Betty Crocker Momma didn't teach me that, I DID.

Wow, That is the most profound statement I heard so far on myfitnesspal. I am writing that down. That you for sharing that.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Self-confidence + I love the feeling of success. It feels like I'm winning all the time! B)
  • TK6299
    TK6299 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    Self confidence, pride, and an amazing feeling of accomplishment.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I'm no there yet but I am realizing that if I succeed is because of me and if I fail is because of me. I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    hzl22 wrote: »
    I'm no there yet but I am realizing that if I succeed is because of me and if I fail is because of me. I am my own best friend and my own worst enemy.

That's true!
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    A few times in my life I have been hit with the: "If I can do this I can do anything" vibe. Looking at myself and realising that I am quite possibly in the best shape of my life, I am mentally catching up to that and feel that "If I can do this I can do anything" vibe coming on again. I am bracing myself as in the past the vibe has taken me to some unexpected places and events. We'll see what happens
  • hamstertango
    hamstertango Posts: 129 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    You know how great you feel whatever size you are/were when you wear a brand new outfit that you know makes you look good....

With the new slimmer body I feel like ive got that brand new outfit on every day, even when I've got my scruffy clothes and no make up on

I guess it's really just self confidence
  • imicevska7
    imicevska7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It might be weird,but I used to look at myself in the mirror and think : "I'm chubby but cute". Now all I see are flaws that I need to keep working on. But I guess that's good,cause it helps me to keep going. ^_^
  • Melwillbehealthy
    Melwillbehealthy Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    I'm way more relaxed about myself than I was. I'm not in a rush. I've been losing weight for a year now, and don't think I'm dieting. I think, I'm living.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Changed mentally? I went from "My obesity is managed well with a tiny pill to keep my blood pressure down, I don't need to do anything more", to "My obesity has caught up with me, I cannot survive with it, it is my enemy, I must fight it." War works better if one side is motivated.
  • Untilproud11
    Options
    Amazing responses ...
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!