MFP and Pregnant

Options
Hi, I joined MFP a little while ago and was getting very frustrated with my lack of success until last week when I found out I was pregnant. I dont want to leave the site, so I have adjusted my goals to "maintain my current weight" .... im very curious if there are other pregnant women on the site as I would love the advise and support.

Please friend me if you like.....

Im 36 and this is my first pregnancy. Very scary.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    How can you maintain your current weight if you are pregnant? It is only natural to gain when you are pregnant. Just eat healthy so your baby is healthy.
  • marathonmom72
    marathonmom72 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    Obviously you will gain weight, but I think setting your calorie goal for maintaining your current weight is a good way to keep your eating in check. That way, you can eat healthy for you and your baby without gaining extra, un-needed weight. You don't want to try and loose weight during your pregnancy; which I don't think you are trying to do. You have a plan, and I think that's great! Congratulations!!
  • Bub3les0
    Bub3les0 Posts: 47
    Options
    depending on how far along you are you can set your goals to gain one or two pounds a week, then you can stay on and pick up where you left off later. And eat healthy foods, you and baby will feel much better :) Congrats!
  • EmilyAnn89
    EmilyAnn89 Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    i've seen a few other pregnant women around! hopefully they find this thread :) congratulations on your pregnancy!
  • billsica
    billsica Posts: 4,741 Member
    Options
    No offense. As a father of a 1 year old. Don't starve yourself. Do what your body wants you to do. Your living for two now, sorry if that means its going to be a little rough on the body. You can eat healthy, but just throw the scale out for now.
    You can come back in 9 months and be with all the other moms.
  • eeeekie
    eeeekie Posts: 1,011 Member
    Options
    I think you should speak to your doctor and see what he suggests for your safe weight gain per week. I believe it's 1lb a week for a normal/healthy adult. I'd assume you need to change your settings to gain...not maintain.
  • Lindsay418
    Options
    Check with your doctor and see what he/she recommends. The number of calories you take in is only part of it, there are recommended foods to eat and avoid while pregnant. Certainly, MFP could be used to make sure you stay within reasonable eating habits/calorie intake so that you don't gain baby weight plus too much extra.

Best of luck!
  • mlanser08
    mlanser08 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I am 5'2'' and was 180 when I got pregnant with my second baby. I only gained 17 lbs because I ate my alotted 300 calories or so extra a day and that was really it. I was already heavy so for me to gain weight was actually a negative thing if it was too much. Also, I wasn't able to breastfeed with both my pregnancys and I lost weight just fine, with a little work of course. Just stay healthy and weight gain is normal, just don't "eat for 2" 24-7 and you will be fine:)
  • _Johanna_
    _Johanna_ Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    How can you maintain your current weight if you are pregnant? It is only natural to gain when you are pregnant. Just eat healthy so your baby is healthy.

It's not a matter of maintaining your weight, but eating enough so that you can remain healthy and are not depriving your body, which is what you do when you eat all your calories - you go back to maintenance mode.

I think you are doing the right thing - and talk to your doctor too. From what I read (5 years ago when I was pregnant), a pregnant woman, towards the end of her pregnancy, needs only to eat an extra 300 calories a day to support her growing baby. I applaud you for continuing on your journey here at MFP.

Also, in my first trimester, I asked the doc about my diet as well. At the time I was about 30 pounds overweight and was eating a 1500 calorie diet. He said that this was fine and that I could continue it for a while longer as the baby didn't need the extra calories yet. Again - talk to your doctor. They know what the baby really needs and how it might be best for you to be your healthiest.
  • Seginns
    Seginns Posts: 39
    Options
    When I was pregnant, I more or less ignored the scales. I tried to eat a healthy diet and got mild to moderate exercise as often as I could. The last two months, I basically ate whenever I was hungry, which was all the time. I think MFP would be a good tool for you to track your nutrition (are you getting enough fruits, veggies, dairy, etc.) and exercise, but I'd not put any focus on calories unless your doctor advises otherwise.
  • RainDodger
    RainDodger Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Wonderful posts, thank you. I am following the Canadian Food Guide, I only chose "maintain weight" because I wasnt sure which option was best, I think I will update it later on to the recommended "gain 1 lb" a week. Its really hard to get all the servings. But Ive found by following this guide its also almost impossible to go over calories. Really helpful. Again, thank you.
  • minnesotamama
    minnesotamama Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I just found out a week ago that I'm pregnant. :smile:
  • JellyJaks
    JellyJaks Posts: 589 Member
    Options
    I've got 3 kids and each time I was pregnant my doctor said to gain around 25 pounds for the entire pregnancy...not that I listened. I gained 75 with my daughter, 65 with my first son and on the last pregnancy I got it right and only gained 25.

I think it's awesome that you want to work out when you're pregnant. I wish I had done it because it's soo much easier to gain the weight than it is to lose it. They say nursing is a great way to burn calories but I nursed all 3 of my children and I still have over 100 pounds to lose now and my youngest just turned one.

Feel free to add me if you're looking for support :smile:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Talk to the doc.

CONGRATS! :)
  • amorgan101187
    Options
    I have two children, and i had them close together (they're only 14 months apart). I will admit i ate whatever i felt like and didnt exercise often because before having kids i didnt need too, and now im on here trying to lose weight. Dont diet, just eat healthy but they do say a pregnant person doesnt need to eat for two, but to consume about 300 extra calories a day which is like a sandwich or something. Thats if you even feel like eating soon.. i was lucky enough to keep a cracker down from 8weeks to 14 weeks. Just eat healthy and do pregnancy yoga or walks, you will gain still but if you do this you should lose most of it giving birth to your baby and the rest should fall off fairly easy, but if your hungry EAT this is not only your body saying your hungry but your baby as well. The baby will steal nutrients and everything from you but if you dont have enough you will feel weak and only be putting you immune system and the health of you and your baby at risk
  • katie_on_a_mission
    Options
    Here's some info for you:
    http://www.marchofdimes.com/pregnancy/yourbody_weightgain.html

Congratulations on the pregnancy!
  • Griffarms
    Griffarms Posts: 1
    Options
    First of all, congratulations!!! Secondly, I agree with the other posts regarding checking with your doctor. My doctor advised me to eat small meals a day to help maintain a healthy weight. It worked. You may or may not have cravings but if you do, it is OK to give in to them in small portions. Good luck! BTW: It is scary going through your first pregnancy but it is well worth it!! :)
  • DietPep1978
    DietPep1978 Posts: 202
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I wish you all the best!
  • jenttifer
    jenttifer Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    This post really intrigues me. I am planning in the next month or so to begin "trying". I have been feverishly trying to get back to a healthier weight prior to this pregnancy. I plan to continue using MFP during my pregnancy as well so I can only gain the right amount of weight. I figured when the time came I would ask my doc how many calories extra I really need per day for a healthy pregnancy and adding that to my maintenance amount. I read a few places that the amount of extra calories needed when pregnant isn't as many as people think...you're really not 'eating for two'...as in two adults! I did find a thread or a blog on here once for pregnant women...you could try searching for that. I think making your weight goal "gain one pound per week" would be a little high...that's 40 lbs over your pregnancy, which seems high to me. I think they usually say 20-25...but again, I would suggest discussing with your doc. Congrats!!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your pregnancy!! I recently found out I was pregnant only a couple weeks ago... yeah... I missed my whole first trimester without even realizing it lol!!

I talked with my doctor who just recommended I continue eating healthy and whenever I am hungry. I'm averaging around 1500 right now, with 3 meals and 3 snacks - I have to eat every 2-3 hours or I am starving!

My first pregnancy I gained around 50 pounds and ate horribly. This time around I'm eating super healthy and working out and plan on only gaining the recommended amount!