Fitness tracking added calories

Options
2»

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    Dnarules wrote: »
    Ok, I'm going out on a limb and saying the 2000 calories is the TDEE. if I get 10,000 steps, I generally burn about 1900 to 2100 for the day, not just for the steps. It helps to actually understand what the fitbit does.

I'm using UA Record with misfit flash to count steps. The whole point of me using these devices and syncing them with MFP is so I don't need to to any math myself. It's putting me at 4000 for the day though, with only 10,000 steps.

UA record for me was way off. it was giving me 1 calorie for every 5 seconds so that could be the problem. sounds like its also double dipping(counting your calories from the UA plus the misfit flash is counting the calories as well). I would just use your misfit flash and sync it to mfp and try that for awhile and see what you get calorie wise. but the bigger you are the more you will burn. my family member is female but around your weight and burns about 3000 calories just sitting around not doing much but if she were to get in 10,000 steps it gives her a total of 3500-4000 but that counts her calories just by being alive as well.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    sure that is just for your steps and not what you burn all day long? I have a fitbit charge HR and it tells me what I burn just by existing as well as my exercise calories burned.

It is supposed to be my all day, but it's still around 4000 calories. I can't believe that is my caloric intake for one day. My job is active, but not that active.

thats not your caloric intake that is what you would be burning along with your BMR, as for being accurate its hard to tell. did you set your tracker and input your height,weight and all that other info it asked for?
  • pebble4321
    pebble4321 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I use my Apple Watch to track steps, and yes, I'll usually eat extra cals if they are there.
    I agree that 2000 extra cals sounds excessive. Is there any reset option on your device, and have you tried unlinking and relinking with MFP?
  • soniaf
    soniaf Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    check your weight is entered in the right units? If you are 200 pounds but it thinks you are 200 kg that could be the reason it's inaccurate?
  • violet_wister
    violet_wister Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    annaelisam wrote: »
    I usually try to keep with my regular daily calorie goal before the exercise and then use extra calories from exercise to give myself a "treat" of 200 to 300 calories like a Lara bar or something to reward myself for the extra work.

Yes this- I use my Fitbit exercise calories more as an interesting thing to know than something that directly affects my day to day eating. On days where Fitbit tells me I've accumulated a LOT of extra calories out through movement, I'll just use those days to have a small extra (tracked) something :)
  • WaterBunnie
    WaterBunnie Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    I'm around 230 lbs so I was thinking an additional 2000 calories was too much. I'm going to look into the specs of my apps a lot more and see why I'm getting such high add on for calories.

I weigh a couple of pounds less than you but get around 600 calories for 10000 steps if that's any help?
  • steadygirl06
    steadygirl06 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Do you have it set to kj? I get around 2000kj for 10,000 steps
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I've been a Charge HR user since July. It brought me from 139 pounds to 109 pounds. Here are a few things I've noticed by using it/reading feedback from others:
    • Apparently the more overweight you are the more the calories earned tend to be inflated. Several overweight/obese users have said they gained weight by eating what Fitbit stated while users who are more fit have claimed Fitbit underestimated the calories they can eat. Then again, I wonder how much of this boils down to accurate logging and using a food scale. I take this information with a grain of salt. Observing your own data and making adjustments is the best resource.
    • I'm 5'3" and 114 pounds now as I'm currently bulking. Personally I'm gaining weight at a slower rate than I should be using Fitbit as a baseline. However, I use the "dominant" setting on my non-dominant hand and I tend to overestimate calories if I don't have the nutritional facts for something. When I workout and walk 18K+ steps, I get 900+ calories more to eat and it hasn't been a detriment to my weight loss or weight gain at all. I eat most of my calories back, sometimes all.
    • Setting your food plan to sedentary instead of personalized on Fitbit will stop the calorie adjustment from changing so much on MFP. When it's personalized, Fitbit projects your extra calories based on how active it expects you to be for the day. You may see you have 600 extra calories for the day, but if you sit for the rest of the day it can shoot down to 400. With the sedentary setting, you start with a lower amount of calories and earn calories throughout the day. I've found that much easier to deal with and there are no surprises.
    • The first couple of days can be off. It will "learn" you as you keep using it.