Squats are making my thighs bigger...should I stop?

Options
slapafat
slapafat Posts: 2 Member
edited March 2016 in Fitness and Exercise
I started a squat challenge about 3 weeks ago where I gradually went from 50 to 180 squats per day with rest days every 4th day. I saw a nice lift on my bottom with a little added volume which I was really happy about. Unfortunately I also started noticing an increase in my thighs. They don't really look toned since I still have fat to lose and just seem bulky in general. I took measurements and saw an increase of about 1/2 inch and have lost inches everywhere else. I don't want to lose the major improvement I saw on my butt. I also don't want big thighs. Should I stop the challenge? Can I continue the progress on my butt and slim down my thighs? Is this a common problem with squats or am I doing something wrong?

Replies

• AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing body weight squats?
  • slapafat
    slapafat Posts: 2 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    AJ_G wrote: »

Yes, just the weight of my body. Initially I was thinking of adding 5lb weights but not sure if that's a good idea now.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    I wish I could add a half inch to my legs every 3 weeks. I doubt you've added that much more muscle especially if you're losing weight. It might just be stored carbs and water. When I cut out carbs for even 2 weeks my body deflates noticeable and within 3 days of gorging carbs I notice I look significantly fuller.
  • AJ_G
    AJ_G Posts: 4,158 Member
    Options
    slapafat wrote: »

Yes, just the weight of my body. Initially I was thinking of adding 5lb weights but not sure if that's a good idea now.

To be honest, there's just no way you've built any muscle mass doing body weight squats while losing weight. It just doesn't happen like that...
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    slapafat wrote: »

To be honest, there's just no way you've built any muscle mass doing body weight squats while losing weight. It just doesn't happen like that...

I agree. Other than just increased glycogen stores. Id have to say it's probably just inconsistent measuring
  • MichelleLea122
    MichelleLea122 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    Since they are just body weight squats I highly doubt you put on a significant amount of muscle during this squat challenge. Your legs probably look fuller due to either increased blood flow to the area (if measured sometime around exercising) or water retention for muscle repair.

Women shouldn't be afraid to lift heavy in fear of getting 'bulky'. With significantly less testosterone than men, women don't just accidentally get bulky. Those 'bulky' women have spent a lot of time and effort intentionally building up their physique.

The majority of your thigh size is most likely due layers of fat. If you keep doing squats (even if they are body weight) you will help preserve that muscle mass. Once you slim down, you'll be able to see the booty you've been working for.
  • smit7633
    smit7633 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    If you are happy where you're at cut back on the squats some to maintain the look you currently have
  • PandoraGreen721
    PandoraGreen721 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Bit late for me... :D
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Since they are just body weight squats I highly doubt you put on a significant amount of muscle during this squat challenge. Your legs probably look fuller due to either increased blood flow to the area (if measured sometime around exercising) or water retention for muscle repair.

Women shouldn't be afraid to lift heavy in fear of getting 'bulky'. With significantly less testosterone than men, women don't just accidentally get bulky. Those 'bulky' women have spent a lot of time and effort intentionally building up their physique.

The majority of your thigh size is most likely due layers of fat. If you keep doing squats (even if they are body weight) you will help preserve that muscle mass. Once you slim down, you'll be able to see the booty you've been working for.

Pretty much this. I believe you that your thighs have gotten bigger. Water takes up space and it makes sense that water retention means that your measurement increases. In the long run, as you lose fat your thighs will get smaller and you'll see the benefit. You'll need to be patient and keep on going because resistance exercise's benefits are often delayed rather than immediately noticeable. But in the end they are worth it.
  • oh_happy_day
    oh_happy_day Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options

Agreed.
  • hzl22
    hzl22 Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I can't say I know the answer to your question I've heard yes and no but maybe u can chill on squats a little if it worries you and do bridges to isolate your butt ;)
  • ChrisUK70
    ChrisUK70 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    How is your weight loss going have you gained or lost in those weeks? I agree with the other post you would not have put on loads of muscle in that time, it is probably water or if you have gained weight then fat. Stick with it, if you increase your muscle mass then your body will burn more fat.