PF Changs

Options
So I have lunch plans with my mom and her husband today and they have chosen to go here. My problem is their is so much sodium in every dish. I had a dish before that was lower in calories, but I didn't care for it. Any suggestions. I guess I will be drinking tons of water this week to flush it out

Replies

• davidmartinez66
    davidmartinez66 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Well, I have no medical reasons to avoid sodium, I never add it any dish, so a restaurant or a recipe that has a ton really takes some of the enjoyment out of it. PF or any Asian food is tough, sodium is a huge part of the food, I love to cook and create Asian style food, but I haven't quite figured out how to do it without all the sodium. I would suggest to plan for it and try and make the best choices possible for you, I know some gym/nutritionists who told me not to worry about sodium at all, but I still watch it.

All the Best,
    David
  • queenliz99
    queenliz99 Posts: 15,317 Member
    Options
    Were you told to reduce your sodium intake?
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Most places will just steam your order if you ask, without all the sauce and sodium. I don't "have to" avoid salt, but too much just makes me feel sluggish and icky, so I pick and choose salty and non salty.
  • Jbell0213
    Jbell0213 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    queenliz99 wrote: »
    Were you told to reduce your sodium intake?

No, but its somethingI like to watch. I don't have and health concerns to worry about. I just know I will have to deal with the water retention.
  • Jbell0213
    Options
    lauracups wrote: »
    Most places will just steam your order if you ask, without all the sauce and sodium. I don't "have to" avoid salt, but too much just makes me feel sluggish and icky, so I pick and choose salty and non salty.

That's me too. The water retention makes me feel bad
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    They have a steamed sea bass as well as salmon that I think is pretty calorie friendly and last time I was there they had a reduced cal menu. They also have a seared tuna salad which I don't think would be too heavy on the sodium.

I don't have a medical reason to restrict sodium so when I go to a restaurant I know it may cause me some water retention but I just order what I enjoy.

Just went to PF Changs recently with friends, split the lettuce wraps and garlic green beans, I had Mongolian beef and brown rice, ate half and took the rest home. I was under cals for the day and don't remember the sodium impact because even if I do see a spike in the scale I know it's temporary and so I wouldn't change what I order because of it.
  • Jbell0213
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    They have a steamed sea bass as well as salmon that I think is pretty calorie friendly and last time I was there they had a reduced cal menu. They also have a seared tuna salad which I don't think would be too heavy on the sodium.

I don't have a medical reason to restrict sodium so when I go to a restaurant I know it may cause me some water retention but I just order what I enjoy.

Just went to PF Changs recently with friends, split the lettuce wraps and garlic green beans, I had Mongolian beef and brown rice, ate half and took the rest home. I was under cals for the day and don't remember the sodium impact because even if I do see a spike in the scale I know it's temporary and so I wouldn't change what I order because of it.

Thank you so much. Great advise. Gives me some good ideas for today
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Buddah's Feast, steamed, and add steamed chicken. A HUGE portion of veggies and protein with zero added fat. Ask for a sauce on the side.