Exercise question

Options
The best exercise for flabby belly for beginners?

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    You won't be able to spot reduce. I would love to target my thighs (oh well).

But planks are really good for the core. This is my favorite (free) exercise site: http://jessicasmithtv.com/exercise-videos/

There are specific Ab workouts there.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Options
    Flabby is a calorie condition but I agree with the planks to strengthen the core muscles. My favorite is 30 sec side plank, 30 sec rest, 30 sec front plank, 30 sec rest, 30 sec side plank, 30 sec rest, 30 sec leg raises and repeat for 16 minutes. You will want to get a thick mat too. You can start with a shorter duration and build up to 30 seconds. I set my tablet up and use the timer to keep track. Its great for your back too.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The only way to get rid of a flabby belly is to reduce your overall % of body fat which is a result of a caloric deficit but agree with the comments about core strength.
  • jennymstokes
    jennymstokes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank yall so much
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Running is a great calorie burner to reduce your overall body fat and also adds definition to your waist & torso, combine that with abs & core work as suggested above and you'll be onto a winner. Just be patient and expect results over months not weeks. Good luck Jenny!
  • jennymstokes
    jennymstokes Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Thank you!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    Running is a great calorie burner to reduce your overall body fat and also adds definition to your waist & torso, combine that with abs & core work as suggested above and you'll be onto a winner. Just be patient and expect results over months not weeks. Good luck Jenny!

I'm training for a half marathon and not lost a pound... a calorie deficit is what reduces body fat, not running... especially if you get rungry!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Running is a great calorie burner, but if there's no deficit, the rest doesn't happen.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, quite obviously you can't go running then come home and pig out and expect to lose weight, I kind of assumed the calorie control part was a given since we're using MFP, sorry.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys, quite obviously you can't go running then come home and pig out and expect to lose weight, I kind of assumed the calorie control part was a given since we're using MFP, sorry.
    You'd be surprised. You'll see threads where people do 3 hours of exercise, frustrated that they aren't seeing results then confess they're still eating a whole pizza by themselves.
    Unfortunately while the site helps to count calories for people, many people don't know how many calories they SHOULD be consuming to help them reach their goals.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    It's true you can't spot exercise, but I think also eating healthy helps get rid of stomach fat.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    liahna wrote: »
    It's true you can't spot exercise, but I think also eating healthy helps get rid of stomach fat.

No, eating in a deficit does.