How do you deal with hunger?

Options
So just wrapping up my first week and I am hungry all the time even though I am eating lots of nutrient dense foods and eating calories allotted and extra on days I workout. When does the hunger stop? And how do you deal with it?

Replies

• 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    Drink water, concentrate on the rest of your life, don't eat so fast - it takes 20 minutes for your head to recognize your stomach isn't hungry any more.
  • BeYouTiful94
    BeYouTiful94 Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Exactly as above. Water is amazingly helpful since sometimes your hunger is actually thirst. Also try drinking green tea or lemon water. Nothing super special about it, but I find having a little taste is exactly what I needed instead of a whole meal.

Congrats on finishing your first week. It'll get easier and this will all become a lifestyle for you :)
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and what are you eating? If you are going with MFP's stupid low 1200 cals, then probably you are too low, unless you are extremely short. I lasted exactly a week on that level before giving myself a more reasonable goal.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,671 Member
    Options
    Many may feel hungry psychologically. Eating of a big plate with little on it can fool you into thinking you aren't eating enough. Try smaller plates (9").
    Also, getting up and doing something physical helps to stave off hunger. Walking, exercise, vacumming, etc.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water. Unless if it's after 9:30pn I'll usually eat something at least every 3 hours. Before 3 hours I'll just drink water. I don't eat after 9:30.
  • Scrappincarla
    Scrappincarla Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Like Ninerbuff said, I agree that Doing Things like walking, running, whatever, does something to the body to remove all that hunger. I can't explain it, just trust me. Drinking water doesn't do it for me, because the hunger returns after 5 mins. (Maybe I'm weird)
  • IGbnat24
    IGbnat24 Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    It sometimes helps to gradually decrease your calorie intake rather than making a larger, abrupt change.
  • kristieshannon
    kristieshannon Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    For me, it took a shift in thinking. I spent so many years NEVER feeling physical hunger pangs because I was eating so much, all the time. Then my hunger was all based in my head and what the latest thing I was craving. Now I realize that the physical feeling of hunger is normal. I eat my meals as planned, and by the time the next meal time rolls around my body tells me, through that grumbly tummy feeling, that it's time to eat. It took me a couple weeks to realize it's ok to feel a little hungry as I approach the next meal time. I know intellectually that I'm fueling my body properly, and I'm losing at a healthy rate. This is the new normal for me and I'm feeling at peace with it.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    I chew gum, go for walks, drink diet soda, mess with my macros/volume of meals to find what keeps me most satiated, lots of hot tea, lots of salted cucumbers and salsa.
  • diannethegeek
    diannethegeek Posts: 14,776 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.
  • 2snakeswoman
    2snakeswoman Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    For me, it took a shift in thinking. I spent so many years NEVER feeling physical hunger pangs because I was eating so much, all the time. Then my hunger was all based in my head and what the latest thing I was craving. Now I realize that the physical feeling of hunger is normal. I eat my meals as planned, and by the time the next meal time rolls around my body tells me, through that grumbly tummy feeling, that it's time to eat. It took me a couple weeks to realize it's ok to feel a little hungry as I approach the next meal time. I know intellectually that I'm fueling my body properly, and I'm losing at a healthy rate. This is the new normal for me and I'm feeling at peace with it.

This is what I would have said, but probably not as well. I don't let myself eat sooner than 3 hours after the last meal, then I get away from the kitchen and do something that occupies both hands and mind. I also drink a lot of water.
  • SoleilxStitch
    SoleilxStitch Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I'm getting this as well, I'm on day 10 restarting, so far caffeine has helped, I drink green tea. Or low calorie snacks such as low calorie popcorns or some Greek yoghurt.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    These are my really general tips for hunger:

1. Make sure that your calorie goals are actually set appropriately. Don't skip this step. A lot of people set goals that are too aggressive and then wonder why they're having a hard time. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets

2. Look for foods higher in protein, fat, and fiber. These help us stay full and more satisfied longer. If you're using MFP's default settings, try to consider protein, fat, and fiber as minimums to reach every day rather than maximums to stay below.

3. Drink plenty of fluids. Some people really do confuse thirst and hunger.

4. Get plenty of rest. This includes sleeping enough and taking rest days from the exercise. Sometimes our bodies look for food when they're exhausted.

5. Play around with your meal timings. Some people do really well on 5-6 small meals a day and others feel like they want to gnaw their own arm off eating like that. Skipping breakfast, eating breakfast, 16:8 fasting, 6 small meals, 3 larger meals, snacks, no snacks, meal timing won't make a big difference to your weight loss, but it may help your hunger levels, mood, concentration, gym performance, etc. throughout the day. Don't be afraid to try a different way and see if it helps.

6. Wait it out. If you know you're eating enough and the other steps above aren't helping, you may just have to wait it out. Our bodies send out hunger signals partially out of habit. If you eat at a certain time every day your body will start to get hungry at that time. The good news is that these signals can be retrained to stop telling you to be hungry all the time. The bad news is that you may just have to be hungry for a little bit while that happens.

7. I also think it's important to remember that there's a habitual component to hunger. This goes along with point #6, but if you eat because you're bored or you're used to eating in front of the TV or in the car or whatever it is, then you can replace those habits with others that are better for you. Things like keeping water on hand to sip instead of snacking or picking up hobbies that keep your hands busy or that get you out of the house more can help out a little while you're retraining your hunger cues. You might need to pay attention to why you're eating/hungry or what you're feeling when you eat and try to replace food with other things, but it can be really beneficial over time.

I do # 1 - 5 and am only hungry right before meals.

@Shellymarie604 how many pounds do you have to lose and what's your weekly weight loss goal?
  • DearestWinter
    DearestWinter Posts: 595 Member
    Options

^^ This. Often my feelings of hunger were psychological. Some were triggered by wanting certain foods in my mouth (purely in my head) and others when I noticed my stomach didn't feel completely full. Your stomach shouldn't feel completely full all of the time! It's better to wait until you're feeling some real physical hunger before you eat again.

I found this hunger scale helpful. Though in the beginning I had to schedule meals until I learned to differentiate the different levels of hunger.

18s4uhl3hjib.jpeg
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Drink water
    eat vegetables and fruits in between meals (foods with less than 100 calories)
    nuts ( I eat 1/2-1 oz per day of nuts for one of my snacks)
    You may also benefit from 4-6 small meals per day versus the usual 3 meals per day
  • Shellymarie604
    Shellymarie604 Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Hi guys! Thanks for all the feedback. I currently drink about 4 litres of water a day. So water isn't a issue and munch on cucumber, carrot sticks, apples or hard boiled eggs in between meals. I have lost a little over 5 pounds my first week in but I think some of it was water weight due to inflammation from a poor diet and drinking. My goal is 2 pounds a week. Funny enough I do find exercise helps with hunger for sure but even after doing some things you guys have mentioned I am constantly hungry. Hoping it is just my body adjusting from eating 2500 calories or so a day to less.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP, if you have less than 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs per week is a very aggressive goal.

The faster you lose, the more likely you are to lose muscle mass (especially if you aren't focusing on strength training), and the greater the risk of burning out. Better to lose 1 lb per week and make it to your goal a little later, than lose 2 lbs per week and burn out in a month and gain it all back.

Even if 2 lbs is appropriate, there is no harm in starting slow and then decreasing your calories as you adjust. In other words, set your goal to half a lb per week and get that right. After a couple of weeks increase your goal to 1 lb per week and give yourself time to adjust to that, etc. It's not a race, and being constantly hungry shouldn't be necessary to get to a healthy weight.

I had twenty lbs to lose, and I decided to aim for half a lb per week because I was hungry and tired when I cut my cals any lower than that and knew it would end up causing me to quit. Good luck!
  • yassinelmeniawy
    yassinelmeniawy Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    DRINK H2o
  • positivepowers
    positivepowers Posts: 902 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Like Ninerbuff said, I agree that Doing Things like walking, running, whatever, does something to the body to remove all that hunger. I can't explain it, just trust me. Drinking water doesn't do it for me, because the hunger returns after 5 mins. (Maybe I'm weird)

No, you're not weird. I can't drink water when I still feel hungry either; it just makes me feel nauseous and "sloshy." Vegetables make me feel sort of hollow when I eat them alone, too, which intensifies the hunger. OP figure out if you're really hungry or wanting to snack for other reasons like boredom or habit. If you want to eat from any other reason but hunger, Ninerbuff is right, try to do something. If physical activity isn't feasible, do something to keep your hands busy - do needlework, puzzles, anything. If it's truly hunger re-evaluate your calories.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,988 Member
    Options
    kimny72 wrote: »
    OP, if you have less than 50 lbs to lose, 2 lbs per week is a very aggressive goal.

The faster you lose, the more likely you are to lose muscle mass (especially if you aren't focusing on strength training), and the greater the risk of burning out. Better to lose 1 lb per week and make it to your goal a little later, than lose 2 lbs per week and burn out in a month and gain it all back.

Even if 2 lbs is appropriate, there is no harm in starting slow and then decreasing your calories as you adjust. In other words, set your goal to half a lb per week and get that right. After a couple of weeks increase your goal to 1 lb per week and give yourself time to adjust to that, etc. It's not a race, and being constantly hungry shouldn't be necessary to get to a healthy weight.

I had twenty lbs to lose, and I decided to aim for half a lb per week because I was hungry and tired when I cut my cals any lower than that and knew it would end up causing me to quit. Good luck!

This ^ especially the bolded.