negative numbrs

Options
j99li
j99li Posts: 421 Member
What does it mean to have negative (red numbers) under my protein and fiber?

Replies

• leighton1245
    leighton1245 Posts: 125
    Options
    What does it mean to have negative (red numbers) under my protein and fiber?

That means you are over the reccomend amount. Protien and fiber being over its really to bad of a thing
  • kathleennf
    kathleennf Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I don't think you should worry about too much protein or too much fiber unless you need to restrict them for a medical reason. Most normal (ie healthy) people need to make sure to eat ENOUGH protein and fiber, and to not eat too much sugar and fat. I use the MFP numbers as a MINIMUM for protein and a MAXIMUM for fat and carb.
  • CassieAtEatLoveFit
    CassieAtEatLoveFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Excessive protein intake is stored as fat if your body doesn't need it. Unless you are vigorously exercising too much protein is not a great thing.
  • j99li
    Options
    Im just quite confused because I had one of those nutritional bars this morning with dietary fibre of 6g which put me a lot closer to my limit. However, it seems that having a sub from subway (veggie sub) will put me over my protein. If this happens just today (with a high possibility of no exercise), will it be bad for me? Or is it something that will be bad over build up?
  • aflane
    aflane Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Excessive protein intake is stored as fat if your body doesn't need it. Unless you are vigorously exercising too much protein is not a great thing.

Excessive protein is not stored as fat (not sure where you go that one). Excessive CALORIES are stored as fat. But surprisingly excessive protein with insufficient water intake can lead to dehydration.
    http://www.vanderbilt.edu/ans/psychology/health_psychology/Protein.htm
  • aflane
    Options
    The protein and fiber numbers set by MFP are considered on the low end (and a bit unrealistic) according to several nutritionists that I've spoken to. For instance, the MINIMUM fiber that an adult should intake per day is 25 gms. The average American eats 10-12 gms per day. I've had days where I've hit over 40 (my nutritionist told me good job). Since we can't view your food diary to check where your numbers are set. But if you're concerned about your protein, unless your number is well over 200 (and you're not working out, I wouldn't worry.
  • j99li
    Options
    The protein and fiber numbers set by MFP are considered on the low end (and a bit unrealistic) according to several nutritionists that I've spoken to. For instance, the MINIMUM fiber that an adult should intake per day is 25 gms. The average American eats 10-12 gms per day. I've had days where I've hit over 40 (my nutritionist told me good job). Since we can't view your food diary to check where your numbers are set. But if you're concerned about your protein, unless your number is well over 200 (and you're not working out, I wouldn't worry.

Can you take a look at my food diary?
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i wouldnt worry about being over for protein and fibre. i aim to be over in those, but under for calories, sodium and fat.
    Carbs i dont care either way
  • aflane
    Options
    Your protein numbers are WAY too low. 47 gms of protein per day? What are you? A hamster?? And your fiber is also on the low side. When you set up your profile, MFP set you at 55% carbs/15% protein/30% fat. If you're working out fairly consistently, your ratios should be 30% carbs/45% protein/25% fat. In addition, set your fiber at 25. Drink LOTS more water (it helps... trust me). And you've got to fit more veggies in your day.

Go read some postings by a guy named "Adzak" and his blog postings, if you can find them. He explains a LOT of the science and debunks a lot of rumours and inaccuracies.
  • j99li
    Options
    Your protein numbers are WAY too low. 47 gms of protein per day? What are you? A hamster?? And your fiber is also on the low side. When you set up your profile, MFP set you at 55% carbs/15% protein/30% fat. If you're working out fairly consistently, your ratios should be 30% carbs/45% protein/25% fat. In addition, set your fiber at 25. Drink LOTS more water (it helps... trust me). And you've got to fit more veggies in your day.

Go read some postings by a guy named "Adzak" and his blog postings, if you can find them. He explains a LOT of the science and debunks a lot of rumours and inaccuracies.

hahah thanks! I will try to find some to read. The hamster comment made me laugh
  • aflane
    Options
    I found the blog posts that you should read. Here's the link:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/blog/Azdak/view/starting-a-weight-loss-program-keep-it-simple-110025

Read some of his other posts too. Sooooo much great (verifiable) info.
  • CassieAtEatLoveFit
    CassieAtEatLoveFit Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I was always told that excess amino acids are broken down into fats and sugars which then are stored as fats. I am not 100% sure, but if your body doesn't store excess protein as fat (in one way or another) what does it do with it? I know it doesn't just hang around as protein floating in our bodies for whenever we need it.
  • Emma1903
    Emma1903 Posts: 195
    Options
    We get rid of excess protein in our urine, so if the body doesn't need it we get rid of it instead of storing it.
  • j99li
    Options
    so then is it better to have extra carbs or extra protein floating around?