Goal is Colorado Spartan in May! Any body going?

Options
kristihulsey
kristihulsey Posts: 6 Member
edited March 2016 in Motivation and Support
Hi All! I set out on a challenge the first of this year and have been fighting for a healthier lifestyle every since. I've lost about thirty pounds since then but have lost over 23 inches and dropped nearly ten sizes. I was determined to make this lifestyle last and so chose to eat healthy and hire a personal trainer to prepare me for the Sprtan. I have a deeply personal reason for choosing the Spartan race but things won't end there! I've also signed up and committed to the Colorado Tough Mudder in September! I hope to be able to engage in tough runs to ensure I stay committed to a healthy lifestyle. I was wondering if any body else is planning any mud runs and would want to do some accountability checks with an add on here or on Fitbit? If so, let me know!

Replies

• esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You sound like you are setting yourself up for success :) I won't be at the CO Spartan, but I know @jdwils14 will be there. Feel free to add me and ask me any questions related to mud runs. I've done quite a few and have quite a few more on my schedule this year ;)
  • KevannC
    KevannC Posts: 83 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Hey! Ive been thinking about doing a spartan race, but idk where to start. What has your trainer said about training for it. Is it really that tough? Im in Cali so i wont be going to the CO one but yea i wanna get into it tho!
  • kristihulsey
    kristihulsey Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Awesome possum! Start at the website spartan.com. Also look for discounted race price via groupon ;) I have had family do it before and have wanted to do it myself for about four years but couldn't get the motivation up. However, I have it cemented now! The training depends I where you are now but if you sign up for a race then spartan will provide you with daily workouts to prepare. There are also three different races Sprint, Super, and Beast so your training will depend on what you chose. I am doing the Sprint which is three to five miles and twenty obstacles.
  • esjones12
    esjones12 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Options
    KevannC wrote: »
    Hey! Ive been thinking about doing a spartan race, but idk where to start. What has your trainer said about training for it. Is it really that tough? Im in Cali so i wont be going to the CO one but yea i wanna get into it tho!

Start by signing up! That is the best motivation, to be locked into a race ;) Training should involve running and lots of body weight exercises (lunges, burpees, squats, etc). If you can, work on grip strength as well like pullups and monkey bars and rock climbing. You can definitely use the Spartan WOD's, as well as traditional weight lifting, crossfit, whatever you like really. But practice what you will be doing - running (possibly up hills/montains), and throwing your body weight around by crawling, climbing and swinging from things. Make sure to work on your weaknesses, not just the things you like and are already good at. You will have a much better grasp at what to really train for (if you are looking to get better and excel at Spartan races, after you do one).

Feel free to send me any questions. Best of luck!
  • lynusann
    lynusann Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'm signed up for both the spartans on Ft Carson in May! I plan on doing a volunteer day to pay for entry to the Beast in Breck in Aug. If you are in the Springs and ever want to work out together, my girl friend and I go running every Sunday morning on post and periodic weight lifting days on weeknights.