How to stop bingeing?

Options
Help. :(

Replies

• Dandelie
    Dandelie Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    I understand what you are going through. I am an emotional eater and a binge eater. I find that I have to replace food with something else - gardening, exercise, activity number 22 - to break the habit. When I felt myself starting to get tense or emotional, I would go, with my MP3 player on a music that suited my mood, and stationary bike. It has helped me immensely. My binge eating was an extension of my emotional eating.

So...as you are struggling, try to pay attention to the triggers so that you can correct or face what is causing it. That ultimately is what helps you be able to control the urge. It is okay. It will be okay!
  • hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Thanks that is a great reply. I have been dealing with my binges too and found similar solutions - distract yourself. Lately I have been coming to the forum and reading other people's motivational threads too. Otherwise usually I start a good book, or try to busy myself with other hobbies.
  • tequila5000
    tequila5000 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    File this away as something to try...Overeaters Anonymous. I feel better about myself after I attend a meeting.
  • SassJess81
    SassJess81 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I took some classes through a weight loss program and they recommended making a tool kit...a literal tool kit with anything that you think will help you and distract you. Examples are manicure supplies, a friend's phone number, strong mints or gum, affirmations, a journal, etc.
  • nineteentwenty
    nineteentwenty Posts: 469 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about finding the root of my desire to binge and starting from there. Am I stressing because of a project? Okay, work on the project, don't eat. Am I worried about something in my relationship? Okay, talk to him, don't eat. Am I just drunk off my *kitten* and craving pizza? Okay, just don't XD

Easier said than done, of course, but it does help.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Options
    step 1. get therapy.
    step 2. stop eating.

Now- I realize that seems less helpful in the throws of a break down- but that's the reality is finding a way to get a grip on that.

As someone pointed out- what are the conditions you find yourself in when you over do it and go off the proverbial food deep end?

I don't binge- but I will grossly over do it when I'm left to my own devices late at night- Friday night- I spend my nights at the gym till 9 or so- b/c if I go home straight from work- guess what- I just eat eat eat.

So finding what those are and controlling them and managing them are key.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Maybe you have some deficiencies? I remember years ago when I was on crazy diets and barely eating any decent food I was binging a lot. After having more healthy diet with more nutrients my binges ended. Do you eat very little between your binges?
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Go for it.
    Go buy Great Value Yellow Popping Corn.
    Buy an air popper.
    Eat a house full of the stuff.
    * Cook everything at home. I believe that fast food has chemicals in it to make you addicted to coming back for more (someday, data may show this).
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited March 2016
    Options
    Don't eat too little (too few calories, as in a too aggressive weight loss rate goal; 1200 calories may be too little food);
    Eat a well rounded diet - eat some food from every food group every day (and nothing can beat home cooking);
    Eat meals - regular, sit-down, relaxed and undistracted meals; don't have to be a certain number of meals or at exact times, but create some predictability for yourself;
    Have variety - eat lots of different foods every day, every week, through the year;
    Eat food you like and don't eat food you don't like - nothing is forbidden and nothing "aids weight loss";
    Don't deprive yourself - have that treat (but maybe just one and/or once a week);
    Get therapy - talking to someone can help;
    Distract yourself - do something fun, important, difficult, silly, that doesn't involve food;
    Get enough sleep - rested frontal lobes are important for impulse control;
    Get rid of temptations at eye level - out of sight is out of mind.
  • CassidyScaglione
    CassidyScaglione Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Start with one of those weird mutant carrots that are as thick is your wrist. Lol. By the time I get through chewing one of those my jaw hurts too much to eat more.
  • jenmovies
    jenmovies Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    There is no easy answer. It has taken me years to realise that eating grotesque amounts of food makes me feel disgusting, guilty, uncomfortable and sick. Remember, our stomachs are only meant to hold about a fist-sized amount of food. Anything more is damaging to you. Follow the advice above, make small changes at first, don't be too hard on yourself and one day the desire to binge will just be gone completely. Good luck!