Looking for post workout vegan high protein snacks

Options
Hi! I am looking for ideas of things I can eat after I run that aren't crazy high in calories but have a good amount of protein in them (ideally more than 10g. I run pretty far.) Any ideas?

Replies

• hiker583
    hiker583 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I often end my long runs with a hearty meal of rice and bean/lentil soup. Lot of carbs and protein. You can skip rice if you want to make it low carb.
  • HStheBusyBee
    HStheBusyBee Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Falafels! With some hummus and pitta bread :)
  • laurienem
    laurienem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I like making protein shakes with vegan protein powder. I use a handful of frozen strawberries, 2/3 or so of a frozen banana, two scoops of protein powder, a little bit of cocoa powder and either water or almond/cashew milk. Toss em all in the blender and it ends up pretty decent and isn't massively caloric.
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    laurienem wrote: »
    I like making protein shakes with vegan protein powder. I use a handful of frozen strawberries, 2/3 or so of a frozen banana, two scoops of protein powder, a little bit of cocoa powder and either water or almond/cashew milk. Toss em all in the blender and it ends up pretty decent and isn't massively caloric.

Which vegan protein powder do you use? I can't seem to find one that doesn't have a million chemicals in them and taste halfway decent. Thanks!
  • laurienem
    laurienem Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Which vegan protein powder do you use? I can't seem to find one that doesn't have a million chemicals in them and taste halfway decent. Thanks!

I use Trader Joe's (technically "Trader Darwin's") Soy Protein Powder. I usually get vanilla just out of habit but I've used plain in the same shake recipe and there's not much difference flavor-wise, imo. It can be kind of grainy, which is why I blend it with the frozen fruit and enough liquid to keep it from being crazy chalky. I really like it, honestly.

They do have hemp protein powder too if you aren't into soy, but I can't vouch for it--never tried it!
  • awholenewworld
    awholenewworld Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    laurienem wrote: »

I use Trader Joe's (technically "Trader Darwin's") Soy Protein Powder. I usually get vanilla just out of habit but I've used plain in the same shake recipe and there's not much difference flavor-wise, imo. It can be kind of grainy, which is why I blend it with the frozen fruit and enough liquid to keep it from being crazy chalky. I really like it, honestly.

They do have hemp protein powder too if you aren't into soy, but I can't vouch for it--never tried it!

Thanks so much. I'll look into it.
  • ClubSilencio
    ClubSilencio Posts: 2,983 Member
    Options
    You need carbs more than protein after a long run. You can worry about protein when you eat later on.

For the sake of answering your question though, roasted chickpeas/edamame are a good option.

Apple or banana + 2 spoonfuls of almond butter

Granola (such as the Bear Naked brand)

Lenny & Larry's Complete Cookie (never tried them but they draw rave reviews)